D&D 5E Starships in 5e

Rogerd1

Adventurer
Pathfinder is already not a good fit for Scifi. 5E would be worse.
The more modern a setting is (technology or theme), the less can the singular focus on combat and exclusion of everything else common to many current D20 games be justified.
Dark Matter has incorporated the Rifts idea of mega damage and mega creatures, and it really works. Plus mega-magic too.

The biggest criticism I have with SW5E is that it does technology as magic. Personally, I feel that technology shouldn't be tied to magic rules and effects, but should be its own system.

Also, if you're interested in some starship rules, I'm currently running a Kickstarter for Reign of Discordia 2nd edition, which is a space opera setting. It will have two modes of starship combat - one that is quick and dirty, and will simply track where your ship is in relation to the other ship, while the other will be tactical, hex based, and will involve maneuvers. Our KS is being run by Owen K. C. Stephens, who has been super sick for the past week and unable to run it effectively, but he'll be back in a couple days and I expect to be firing on all cylinders again. You can check it out here: Reign of Discordia for 5e/White Star
I saw that in my KS list, having saved it recently.

Last edited:

Remove ads