• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Starter Set Adventure Maps available (both DM & Player)

SilverBulletKY

First Post
What's the common way to view these maps while playing? Do you cover up the parts that the players shouldn't' be able to see? If you show the whole map then they'll be able to see where certain areas are.

Emka

First Post
At $17.50, they cost almost as much as the retail price of the Starter Set...

haha I saw these before and swore they were free downloads - the add to cart just being part of his usual platform.
17.50 for total is really stretching it. I'll get to photoshopping myself tyvm

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I love Mike Schley's work but I am not paying for hi-res maps that I will probably get with my DDi subscription or when I eventually buy the PDF of the Starter Set from RPGNow.com.

Agreed, I like his maps, but I'm not paying ANOTHER $20 (okay not quite, but nearly) for digital copies I'll use once.

Legit, this guy could probably sell quite a few copies of these for $0.25/map or $5 for the bundle. Right now his price point is way too high to encourage many buyers. Demand curve, and all that.

Tony Semana

First Post
Agreed, I like his maps, but I'm not paying ANOTHER $20 (okay not quite, but nearly) for digital copies I'll use once.

Legit, this guy could probably sell quite a few copies of these for $0.25/map or $5 for the bundle. Right now his price point is way too high to encourage many buyers. Demand curve, and all that.

Personally, I'll buy the player versions (8.25 total) for use on Roll20. Even though I'm descent with photoshop or CC3/DD3, re-creating the maps is more a waste of money/time for me than putting some money in Mike's pocket for the great work.

YMMV but to be fair, nothing is saying you need to buy all the files offered. $1.25 is not a lot to ask per file.

Personally, I'll buy the player versions (8.25 total) for use on Roll20. Even though I'm descent with photoshop or CC3/DD3, re-creating the maps is more a waste of money/time for me than putting some money in Mike's pocket for the great work.

YMMV but to be fair, nothing is saying you need to buy all the files offered. $1.25 is not a lot to ask per file.
That's fair. Obviously you've got a higher demand for these maps than I do, which is surely a function of the different ways we'll use them. In my case, I'm only interested in the overland and town maps, and only to show my players the relative locations of things; I don't expect to get more than a few minutes of use out of each map, and I don't really need high-enough res for VTT purposes.

Nemio

First Post
What's the common way to view these maps while playing? Do you cover up the parts that the players shouldn't' be able to see? If you show the whole map then they'll be able to see where certain areas are.

Good question, one that I'm wondering about myself as a new DM.
Like you say I wouldn't show everything at once.
You could indeed cover up the areas they haven't visited yet or perhaps cut out the different parts of the map and put them on the table as they go from area to area.

Remove ads