• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Starter Set Character Sheet Revealed!

lkj

Hero
I think for many of us, we've always done this since the OD&D/1E days and never really stopped. Back when 3rd came out, there were discussions of "playing 3E like it was 1E". It's why I am jazzed about this edition, stuff I've been doing all along (DM "Hacks") won't seem so jarring to 5E rules lawyers. Playing 5E like it was (insert previous edition number here) won't be much of a thing since it was made to "hacked" that way.

Agreed.

Oh, and I like this character sheet a lot better than the last one floated in the playtest. (Nothing against the person who designed it. Just didn't find it worked well for us).

AD

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This will definitely be a part of the game that I'm going to rework for my home games. Quite possibly just let players select four 'Aspects' of their character that go along with their Background, rather than set skills. So let the Minstrel select something like 'My music soothes the savage beast' and thus it could apply in place of Persuasion, or Animal Handling, or any other rolls that apply to having things calm or quiet. I think I'll find that much more satisfying in the long run.

That's 13th Age.

DDNFan

Banned
Banned
Yea gods, hes right and its the size of an elephant!

odd that second wind no longer use them, then.

Yes, odd to even have Temp HP when HP now apparently means a character's stamina.

What is Temp HP used for? Battlemaster giving away temps to allies? If Battlemaster actually heals his allies without magic I'm done with 5th. Too bad we won't find out until the PHB comes out. If Wizards had any integrity they would just tell us which way they ruled instead of letting it leak out like this and waste our time following this news.

If fighters can instantly heal fallen, unconscious allies by shouting at them from across the room, without magic, it will be the quickest refund I've ever shipped back to Amazon. Even if we end up playing the game, I'm not paying for that level of stupidity.

I want magic to feel magical and the first step to doing that is to make the mundane seem physically and logically possible.

LFK

First Post
Wait, you ignore a dex penalty in heavy armor ? That's wacky.

No, you don't ignore the penalty, it just doesn't factor into your AC.

Basically heavy armour "just works" as far as stopping attacks is concerned, even if you're not great at getting out of the way. You still have the dex penalty for everything else - like saves, contests, and skill checks - and have additional penalties for Stealth and such.

fjw70

Adventurer
I don't like having a skill list. I would prefer proficient skills just be listed like tool proficiencies. Less clutter on the sheet, but it understand this sheet is for beginners and maybe this is better for them. I hope the official sheet doesn't have the full skill list.

Remathilis

Legend
Yes, odd to even have Temp HP when HP now apparently means a character's stamina.

What is Temp HP used for? Battlemaster giving away temps to allies? If Battlemaster actually heals his allies without magic I'm done with 5th. Too bad we won't find out until the PHB comes out. If Wizards had any integrity they would just tell us which way they ruled instead of letting it leak out like this and waste our time following this news.

If fighters can instantly heal fallen, unconscious allies by shouting at them from across the room, without magic, it will be the quickest refund I've ever shipped back to Amazon. Even if we end up playing the game, I'm not paying for that level of stupidity.

I want magic to feel magical and the first step to doing that is to make the mundane seem physically and logically possible.

I think Temp Hp is kinda like a HP shield: it can soak some damage you'd otherwise taken but it can't heal damage you've already taken (and therefore useless when your at 0 hp). In that regard, I could except a battlemaster granting his allies 1d6+cha temp hp for 1 minute.

Either way, it appears the Basic Fighter doesn't have any ability except his "second wind" so no shouting up fighters.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
If Battlemaster actually heals his allies without magic I'm done with 5th. Too bad we won't find out until the PHB comes out. If Wizards had any integrity they would just tell us which way they ruled instead of letting it leak out like this and waste our time following this news.

I don't understand this level of vitriol for a mechanic in a game. Doubly so for a game I'm a "fan" of. I'm not saying your feelings are wrong or bad. I'm saying I don't understand them.

I hope the final version meets your expectations. At the very least, I hope you can easily say "that optional sub-class I detest isn't used at this table". That seems easier than finding a box and printing out a label.

Thaumaturge.

Remove ads