• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Starter Set Character Sheet Revealed!

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
So I really like the design and layout for this sheet. Basic, clean and effective, and it doesn't have too much on it that you'll simply ignore.

I hope that the final real sheets look something like this, but I expect they will need to be more complicated since you have no room for modifiers or bonuses.

But yes: very nice design. Me likes.

jadrax

Adventurer
I hope that the final real sheets look something like this, but I expect they will need to be more complicated since you have no room for modifiers or bonuses.

The system seems pretty light on no situational bonuses, you might not really need space to record them.

sidonunspa

First Post
This will definitely be a part of the game that I'm going to rework for my home games. Quite possibly just let players select four 'Aspects' of their character that go along with their Background, rather than set skills. So let the Minstrel select something like 'My music soothes the savage beast' and thus it could apply in place of Persuasion, or Animal Handling, or any other rolls that apply to having things calm or quiet. I think I'll find that much more satisfying in the long run.

LOVE this idea...

Just need to write up some guidelines on aspects... I'm sooo stealing this for my home game

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
The progression is now 2-6 rather than 1-6. The first two levels of +1 prof just weren't terribly meaningful.

I also think that the slightly meatier +2 makes the mechanic stand out, which helps players rationalize its value from the start. For whatever psychological reasons, being +1 better at something feels pointless.

It was also tied to Expertise for Rogues and Bards - Expertise is now double the proficiency bonus - So +2 at level 1 (+4 to +12 total instead of capping at +11). +5 was a big jump when Expertise was gained.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
New sheet is nice! I love the header and how it align stuff. I hope blank ones will have lines in boxes to facilitate writing though.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Hrrmmmmmmm let's see what I can divine from the character sheet....

• Prof bonus starts at +2, and goes up to +3 at level 5.
  • Ability boost is +2 at 4th level
  • Humies have +1 to all stats assuming arrays didn't change
  • Looks like Chainmail has an AC of 16, +1 from defense gives 17.
  • Fighters get Second Wind at 1st level for a little bit of healing that can be used as a bonus action, so you can move, attack, and heal.
  • Proficiencies in abilities and skills; I am guessing noble grants all but athletics?
  • Personality Traits, flaws, ideals, etc, being made a big part of the character sheet
  • Whatever fighter build they have gives a 19-20 crit range at level 3
  • 3 languages to start out with; nice for a 11 INT fighter
  • Scroll of pedigree is pretty cool touch.
  • Proficiency with Playing Cards, niiiiiiiiice
  • Death Saving Throws are back in some extent
  • Extra Attack is going to be a straight up doubling of damage at Level 5.
Additional stuff

Passive Perception is 10 + Perception modifier.
Search skill was renamed Investigation.
Chainmail doesn't reduce your speed if strong enought.
Great axe is no longer a single word.

lkj

Hero
This will definitely be a part of the game that I'm going to rework for my home games. Quite possibly just let players select four 'Aspects' of their character that go along with their Background, rather than set skills. So let the Minstrel select something like 'My music soothes the savage beast' and thus it could apply in place of Persuasion, or Animal Handling, or any other rolls that apply to having things calm or quiet. I think I'll find that much more satisfying in the long run.

I'm probably going to do something similar, though perhaps with less narrative flair. Rather than picking specific skills, I'll just let the player say he's a 'sailor', and any checks that are plausibly related to sailing, he'll get his proficiency bonus. Similar for 'wilderness hunter' or 'bounty hunter' or the like. Requires more DM adjudication, but I'm pretty fine with that. I always find it frustrating to try to develop a character and find that I'm having to shoe horn 'not quite right' skills to try to reproduce what I want. But I also don't want some exhaustively long skill list. So, my solution is to go simple.

That said, I have a strong suspicion something like this will appear in the DM's guide. There have been hints of this idea here and there over the playtest.

AD

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads