D&D 5E Starter Set Excerpt 2 -- Equipment

Hutchimus Prime

Adventurer
Curious in what way? Stores that run D&D Encounters and/or Friday Night Magic are part of the WPN.

I know but it doesn't seem like all WPN Stores are getting the Starter Set and other releases early...only "Special" WPN Stores. Unless I'm reading it wrong and/or my FLGS (which is a WPN) is just out of the loop.

Paraxis

Explorer
I know but it doesn't seem like all WPN Stores are getting the Starter Set and other releases early...only "Special" WPN Stores. Unless I'm reading it wrong and/or my FLGS (which is a WPN) is just out of the loop.

Sadly a lot of game stores don't support tabletop rpg's like they should. They are a WPN store just for the MtG perks. The stores need to submit an order to their supplier by right around this time in any hope to have the starter set by July 3rd. If they don't even know that they can, that is a failing on the stores part.

I am sure that the distributors like Diamond Comics have all the D&D books and sets that are coming out in the Previews magazine they have. I am sure that there was information given to the stores by WoTC either through a flyer in a recent MtG event pack or an email.

Wyckedemus

Explorer
What makes that any different or better then just having a thievery skill?

If you don't have the right tool you either can't perform the skill or do so with disadvantage.
If you do have the right tool it lets you use your skill or if anyone could could try without the tool, the tool gives you advantage.

The Skills don't have specific rules inside them. They don't have built in DCs and requirements like "trained only". That is not their purpose. They reflect your increased ability in certain areas of ability application without the use of tools.

There are many theoretical "skills" that *require* a tool in order to perform. Even if you are skilled in those tasks, you just cannot play an instrument, play dice, or use thieves' tools without those specific tools!

I completely disagree with anyone who claims you should be able to pick a lock without tools. Picking a lock with a stick or a dagger is ridiculous. If you have thin wires and slivers of metal, you have thieves' tools.

I completely disagree with anyone who claims that they can reliably pick a lock untrained. No. If you don't know what you are doing, you cannot pick a lock in 6 seconds.

Now tell me how the rules are supposed to *simply* handle that in the current paradigm. Are you supposed to create sloppy new rules that say "If you are proficient with the Thievery skill, you are also proficient with thieves' tools. (This opens up being proficient in other tools that are not affiliated with skills.) Or if you are proficient with the Thievery skill you can add your proficiency modifier to pick locks. Unless you don't have thieves' tools. Then you can't, or possibly have a penalty. Or perhaps if you do have thieves' tools, you get an additional bonus. It's too messy.

Oh wait, we don't need a bunch of exceptions... if you just say: "If you are proficient in thieves' tools, you may use those tools to perform the tasks of opening locks and disabling mechanical traps, and you get your proficiency modifier when doing so." All or nothing. Just like a harp or a block and tackle. You either know what you are doing with that tool, or you don't. Being skilled with that tool means nothing without having the tool at your disposal.

The simplest expression of the Proficiency rule is that there are a variety of talents you can be proficient in, from skills (found in the skills chapter), to tools and weapons (both found in the equipment chapter). And when you perform a task that your proficiency applies to, you may add your proficiency modifier to your d20 roll.

... in my opinion.

Last edited:

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Speaking of Starter Set equipment, Mike Mearls has posted an image of the included dice:

BpyLM-ZCMAAhqnk.jpg:large

Actually very nice dice. Much nicer than the 4e blue box (various solid colors) or the 4e red box (all solid black). These are the kind of dice that my FLGS sells for 5-10 bucks. Interesting that they went with "0" for the d10.

Remathilis

Legend
What makes that any different or better then just having a thievery skill?

If you don't have the right tool you either can't perform the skill or do so with disadvantage.
If you do have the right tool it lets you use your skill or if anyone could could try without the tool, the tool gives you advantage.
[MENTION=1079]Wyckedemus[/MENTION] summed it up better than I did; having a bunch of skills that are dependent on having a tool to use them (healing kits, disguise kits, thieves tools, or the like) are practically indistinguishable from having proficiency in the tool. What use is it to have a skill you are trained in if you can't use due to lack of tool?

Ultimately, its a Poe-TAY-Toe, Poe-TAH-Toe argument; you still are proficient in using something to do something. Whether its a skill I can only use with a tool or a tool I can get proficiency in matters little.

AN ASIDE: I really hate the "Thievery" skill. Its a skill that basically says "you are good at thieving" as if thieving was just one thing you can do. The only connection that picking pockets, disabling traps and opening locks have is that "Rogues usually do them."

Agamon

Adventurer
With my experience, in my town, asking after this, I think this is the answer.

Yep, my buddy that owns the FLGS is woefully under-informed about upcoming RPGs. Granted, his store is a comic store with games, but he is a roleplayer (we're playing EotE tonight), so it always surprises me when I have to explain stuff to him.

On the other hand, he could probably explain the minutia concerning the next 3 upcoming MtG sets. But, hey, when you own the store, you're going to pay more attention to what pays the bills.

unan oranis

First Post
How is the very most expensive inn way cheaper than the bottle of fine wine?

If you are going to have six different inns, why not an epic inn that costs as much as a horse for one night?

That being said I like how earthy this table is, reminds me of 2nd edition.

Remove ads