• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Starter Set: Phandalin Map

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
One more negative, there isn't nearly enough farmland under cultivation for a place that size. So, a pretty map that makes little real-world sense. Good going WotC, you just lost yourselves a sale.

R

RevTurkey

Lost a sale because of lack of real life farming simulation in a game with Pixies and Dragons?

ha! Priceless. Love it :D talk about looking for faults lol

MarkB

Legend
My imagination fills with questions, starting with:
1) The city wall is more remnant than defense, yet people still live in Phandalin. What's the attraction? Aren't the Realms more dangerous than that? Is the town occupied because of nearness to the mines?

A village that size couldn't field enough troops to maintain and patrol a wall that long even if it was intact. Maybe this was the site of a former wartime fortified encampment which was settled by civilians later, and the walls have been gradually pillaged for building materials.

barasawa

Explorer
Phandalin Tourist Council, aka Old Fred after a couple of pints

Come visit our Shrine of Luck, rabbits feet and quadleaf clover all half off, unless they're starting to go off, then it's in the rubbish with em.

Don't forget the Miner's Exchange. When you're miner is getting worn down and has a blunted or broken pick, come trade him for a new one at a reasonable fee. Or was that supposed to be the pick? Eh, whatever works.

Speaking of working, don't forget our world famous woodworker. We likes to keep his skills a secret from everyone else, so he don't have no name. Well, he probably has a name, but I'm 6 pints in and well, you know...

Oh, Stonehill Inn is a wonderful establishment that provides me with this delicious brew, and doesn't even make me pay more than standard price for it. Except when I barf on somebody. But that never happens, well not today at least.

That reminds me, just down the road a few, bout halfway to the Manor house up on the hill is the Sleeping Giant! Bet you didn't expect that. Who'd have thought an place like that would be there and so close to here. Hey, lookie that, I done finished another beer. Innkeep, I'd like another one peas. So if you ever go to the smithy... What ya mean I never told you what the Sleeping Giant is? Course I told ya... Ya know, that sounds kinda good right now. [thud] zzzzzzzzz.

zzzzzz
zzz
zzzsnirk!ack
zzzzz

Bugleyman

First Post
One more negative, there isn't nearly enough farmland under cultivation for a place that size. So, a pretty map that makes little real-world sense. Good going WotC, you just lost yourselves a sale.

Yeah, somehow I don't think you were going to buy anyway, irrespective of the status of the surrounding farmland... :p

Chaltab

Explorer
Reminds me a bit of the Nentir Vale town maps, moreso than any of the Forgotten Realms towns I'm familiar with. Granted most of my FR experience comes from the Vidja games. Looks good. I would have liked a legend instead of lines to names to reduce the clutter though. Whole field in the bottom right is blank, why not put it there.

Not sure, it shows cultivated land going off the map to the north (EDIT: and SW). Could go on for some distance.

lkj

Hero
Reminds me a bit of the Nentir Vale town maps, moreso than any of the Forgotten Realms towns I'm familiar with. Granted most of my FR experience comes from the Vidja games. Looks good. I would have liked a legend instead of lines to names to reduce the clutter though. Whole field in the bottom right is blank, why not put it there.

For appearances, yes, I agree. For utility, I kind of like have the lines. I was just looking at Murder at Baldur's Gate last night, going back and forth between map and legend. And well, it's tiring. Of course, lines wouldn't work for Baldur's Gate-- just too many locales and would be impossible to read. But when I saw this map today with it's clearly defined locations, the DM in me just relaxed.

But I'll grant it looks more cluttered.

AD

Ichneumon

First Post

Yeah, if the DM doesn't mention enough farms between the town and dungeon, I ragequit the game.

Remove ads