D&D 5E Starter Set: Phandalin Map

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
LOL. Hey, the farmland wasn't the only thing that made the decision. I've been on the fence about getting it since it was announced. All the things that earlier posters mentioned about the map, plus that, was what finally put me off. (But if I hear really good things about the adventure after it comes out, I could change my mind again.)

PinkRose

Explorer
I don't understand hw some people play any games with the attitudes I've seen in this thread.
I think the map makes a perfect starting city. Reminds me of like Night Below.

Wangalade

Explorer
from a cartographic point of view:
pros
- leader lines to locations is more useful than numbers and a legend
- title is easily noticeable, but doesn't hog space
- aesthetically pleasing, nice artwork
- scale bar present
cons
- north arrow unnecessary(though unobtrusive and pretty)
- scale bar uses bold unnecessary pattern, 20 ft scale not necessary
- leader lines and labels create clutter
- performs poorly at main objective(assuming that is navigation, and not analysis since it is not a thematic map)
- labels buildings but there is no way to direct the pcs to those buildings, easy way to solve would be to label roads.(pc: let's go to the inn; gm: ok you reach the stonehill inn. or with street labels- gm: before you is a large hill crowned with a small village, on the roadside there is a sign which reads "welcome to phandalin" just past that is a sign post reading "mainstreet" ; pc: ok we go down mainstreet gm: as you walk into town, you see a large building on your right. from the awning a sign hangs which reads "miner's exhange") with road labels pcs can actually explore the town, instead of just finding the inn because they want to, they have to make the right choices and stumble across it.
- what do the colors of the buildings represent? are they building material? what small underprivileged village will have blue roofs?- does blue mean stone, red mean adobe, and brown mean wood?- that would actually be extremely helpful for description, but if not, and the colors are just to make the map pretty then they are unnecessary, and unrealistic(assuming this is what the village actually looks like from the air).

overall the map is pretty and nice to have but not really useful as a tool. the only useful bit is the building labels, which could be replicated elsewhere as a list of text(it probably is, as most of those places should have a description of some sort- which goes back to the issue with the legend and flipping back and forth).

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
My imagination fills with questions, starting with:
1) The city wall is more remnant than defense, yet people still live in Phandalin. What's the attraction? Aren't the Realms more dangerous than that? Is the town occupied because of nearness to the mines?
2) Why is this village (not even a proper town) so far from the nearby stream? Is the stream un-navigable? Does it flood?
3) The village has no church or temple, but only a Shrine of Luck -- in 4E, that would have been Avandra; who is the 5E god of Luck?
4) The coster has a building? I though costers sell fruits & vegetables out of a barrow in the street. Is the Lionshield more successful than one would expect of a coster?
5) "Sleeping Giant" is what? Barracks? Library? Brothel? Will we have to wait until July to find out?
6) "Tresendar Manor" is collapsed. Who runs the local guard or militia now?

Some of the Fighter prebuilt's description described the town as being recently resettled after having been long ago been overrun.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
My imagination fills with questions, starting with:
1) The city wall is more remnant than defense, yet people still live in Phandalin. What's the attraction? Aren't the Realms more dangerous than that? Is the town occupied because of nearness to the mines?
2) Why is this village (not even a proper town) so far from the nearby stream? Is the stream un-navigable? Does it flood?
3) The village has no church or temple, but only a Shrine of Luck -- in 4E, that would have been Avandra; who is the 5E god of Luck?
4) The coster has a building? I though costers sell fruits & vegetables out of a barrow in the street. Is the Lionshield more successful than one would expect of a coster?
5) "Sleeping Giant" is what? Barracks? Library? Brothel? Will we have to wait until July to find out?

My imagination is filled with answers! (Most of which I'm making up!)

1) Was once a walled encampment, overrun and left to ruin. Recent finds in the mines have brought settlers back to the area.
2) The stream floods rapidly during the rainy season. Nearly everyone humps their water from it, though. Water is also in rainbarrels under the roof's edges (not seen in this picture)
3) It's a shrine to Tymora. With luck, we'll all get rich from the mines before the village is overrun again.
4) The coster was one of the first to strike it rich off of the first few miners' finds. It's more of a general store at this point.
5) The Sleeping Giant is an Inn. Good beds, stuffed with wool, not straw like most places.
6) The Manor is toast, along with the nobles that came with it. The miner's guild polices itself these days.

MarkB

Legend
- labels buildings but there is no way to direct the pcs to those buildings, easy way to solve would be to label roads.(pc: let's go to the inn; gm: ok you reach the stonehill inn. or with street labels- gm: before you is a large hill crowned with a small village, on the roadside there is a sign which reads "welcome to phandalin" just past that is a sign post reading "mainstreet" ; pc: ok we go down mainstreet gm: as you walk into town, you see a large building on your right. from the awning a sign hangs which reads "miner's exhange") with road labels pcs can actually explore the town, instead of just finding the inn because they want to, they have to make the right choices and stumble across it.

I'm not sure you're appreciating the size of the place. The entire village is barely 1000 feet wide - nobody's going to need to go exploring to find anything.

Assuming that the way in is from the Triboar Trail, it's impossible to walk from the outskirts of the village to the clearly-visible main square without seeing (and, assuming they're signposted, identifying) 90% of the village's public buildings - the only ones not immediately visible will be the Miner's Exchange, the Sleeping Giant and the manor house, and those will be trivially easy to find if a PC spends two minutes wandering the rest of the village's streets.

MarkB

Legend
Just one more note:

I'm not a Realms expert, but I have seen the term used differently there than its real-world version. There are a number of "trading costers" in the Realms, which appear to be essentially mercantile organisations, some of them quite large.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

This is a really nice map and much more interesting to look at than Winterhaven (the village in Keep on the Shadowfell). I am looking forward to getting my hands on the Starter Set :)

Cheers

Rich

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
(snip) 1) The city wall is more remnant than defense, yet people still live in Phandalin. What's the attraction? Aren't the Realms more dangerous than that? Is the town occupied because of nearness to the mines?

This is the first time in Realmslore that Phandalin has been anything other than a ruin. You're not going to get answers from the old products (but look up either Volo's Guide to the North or The North boxed set - they both say the same things - if you want to know what has been published in the past.

Good question. July will be here soon....

Avandra is a not a Realms deity, but Tymora is.

In FR, a coster is a large trading company (as is a priakos).

July will be here soon....

July will be here soon....

For all intents and purposes, this is a brand new location.

Remove ads