D&D 5E Starting a 5E campaign - any tips from 5E "veterans?"

Shiroiken

Legend
Other than normal DM tips, which I assume you're not looking for, my only 5E specific suggestion is to keep it simple. 5E is meant to run smoothly, with the rules supporting the action, rather than dictating it. Keep your check DCs fairly low (8-14), unless it's something that you want the PCs to likely fail (15+), and only call for a check when you feel it's needed (often it's best just to go without). Also, make sure you know how you're going to use Wisdom/Perception vs. Intelligence/Investigation (an often debated topic IME) so that its consistent for your players.

Mercurius

Legend
Thanks all, some good advice. As [MENTION=6775477]Shiroiken[/MENTION] noted, I'm not as much looking for general DM advice--there was some of that (e.g. the NPC stuff)--but specifics to 5E. Thanks also for the tips about zombies and horror - I'm going to read "The Trajectory of Fear," although I'm probably not going to try too hard to scare the crap out of them as this tends to be a casual "low-to-moderate immersion" group.

A follow-up question. I'm devoting most of my prep time to the setting and adventure so am hoping that we can all learn the rules as we play. It is a pretty forgiving group that appreciates that I can take the time to DM, but I'd still like to make sure I have a handle on the basics. Beyond the "How to Play" section in the PHB and skimming the rules as a whole, is there any other section I should make sure to give especial attention to before we start? Again, we're all pretty "chill" so it isn't a big deal if we're learning as we go but if there are specific sections of the text that I need to look at, that would be good to know.

Shiroiken

Legend
A follow-up question. I'm devoting most of my prep time to the setting and adventure so am hoping that we can all learn the rules as we play. It is a pretty forgiving group that appreciates that I can take the time to DM, but I'd still like to make sure I have a handle on the basics. Beyond the "How to Play" section in the PHB and skimming the rules as a whole, is there any other section I should make sure to give especial attention to before we start? Again, we're all pretty "chill" so it isn't a big deal if we're learning as we go but if there are specific sections of the text that I need to look at, that would be good to know.
Have a general idea on spellcasting, since it's a bit different from previous editions (mostly the areas of effect and line of effect requirements). In the DMG there are two charts that give generic examples of what each trait is used for (checks and saves) that might be useful to know. What magic items (if any) you plan to give out and how Attument might affect this. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but I'm sure others will.

Since you have an easy going group, 5E is pretty easy to "plug and play." Have fun!

Dan Helmick

Villager
My advice to you is to have every player get to know every character by having players award each other Inspiration throughout the sessions. There's nothing wrong with the odd DM Inspiration award, but this way feels more organic, to me. You usually won't even need to veto Inspiration suggestions, because as long as your players aren't grubbing for advantage at every turn, "bonus" Inspirations tend to be shouted down.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Thanks all, some good advice. As [MENTION=6775477]Shiroiken[/MENTION] noted, I'm not as much looking for general DM advice--there was some of that (e.g. the NPC stuff)--but specifics to 5E. Thanks also for the tips about zombies and horror - I'm going to read "The Trajectory of Fear," although I'm probably not going to try too hard to scare the crap out of them as this tends to be a casual "low-to-moderate immersion" group.

"How to Play" is key, as you pointed out already, but so is an oft-overlooked section on Page 2 which outlines the goals of play, the "win conditions" of D&D 5e. I co-authored an article on this. I recommend getting everyone at the table to buy into that notion.

I also recommend the section on Ability Checks. The key takeaway here is that not every action results in a check - just the ones the DM finds to be uncertain. (This should tell you that the players shouldn't be asking to make checks.) Pay special attention to opportunities to frame a failed check as "progress combined with a setback." This will solve a lot of classic problems that have come up over the years when it comes to adjudicating things like searching.

Frankly, the rest of the rules are just extra - learn 'em when you can, but don't stress if you don't and when you don't, err on the side of the players and keep play moving. How to Play, Goals of Play, and Ability Checks are the key concepts.

Good luck!

LH Almeida

First Post
Is it very hard to plug 5E in an ongoing campaign? I've got a group and they liked the idea of trying out 5E. I know that, as a DM, I'll have the trouble of converting all NPCs to 5e, and their chars, etc, but do you think it's 1- easy to do it and 2- worthy my time?

The campaign is in a D20-ish system.

Quartz

Hero
Have a "session zero" if you haven't already,

Speaking generally, and not specifically of 5E, I hate 'Session Zeroes'. For the first session, just hand out pre-generated characters, details of house rules, clarifications etc, and run a one-off. Then, if your players like the game, they can then download the basic rules or buy the PHB and create their own characters for the campaign.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I too am DMing 5th edition for the first time. This weekend my homebrew setting launches in full. We did a zero session because of certain rule changes and narrative settings. My last time DMing was 2nd edition, and I was the rules nerd. My last time playing was back in 98.

One thing I know I can't be with 5e is another rules nerd. Only one of my five players has less DnD experience in the last 10 years. So I admitted that I'm learning the rules and would appreciate help. Maybe my new nature as story-teller through RPGs will help with this issue.

I'm also realizing that by leaving a rather generic DnD world I lose a lot. So every day I'm building encounter tables, local villages, etc. That's a lot of work. Maybe it helps my story, but it is can be a bit of a drag. I've been styding ENWorld, PHB, DMG, HotDQ for as much as I can.

In the end, the dice will roll and tales will be told and hopefully we all have fun. That is the ultimate win condition.

Remove ads