Starting a N.E.W. Adventure/Campaign and ship creation rules

Thistonius

First Post
I'm starting a new game in a few weeks time where the characters are the crew of a merchant ship, so the game is going to be very space/ship related in the initial sessions. With this in mind, I tried to create a new Class II ship but I've struggled to get a decent sized vessel with So, I have a couple of questions about ship generation:

1. If you have multiple engines of the same type do all the engines take up 1 CPU each or do they all take just 1 CPU? For instance, if I have 4 CAT-1 Small Ion engines, do they have CPU cost of 4 or 1? The rules aren't clear.

2. The same as 1. goes for shields? Does the CPU cost stack the more you have, or do they all just cost a total of 1 CPU?

I'm stuck on these 2 as the example ships, which look like they've been created by a different set of rules, seem to have so much more built into them for less.

Any clarification on these rules would be great.

Thisto..

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sorry I didn't see this earlier!

Yep, they stack. You add the CU requirement of each engine.

Engines are big items. How many are you trying to fit into the ship? A Class II ship is really small. 4 engines is a lot! Even larger ships typically would have two at most.

Same for shields. Only large ships are likely to have more than one shield generator.

Thistonius

First Post
Thanks for replying.

I have 4, 2 Sub-Luminal (Small) and 2 FTL (Small).

For the shields, I was using 3 small civilian shields and 2 Railguns, which all adds up to a 9 CPU. I used the the small freighter in the August book as a template for my ship, but discovered that I couldn't get close to it.

I did think it was 1 CPU per engine and per shield gen but I just wanted to get it clarified.

Thanks

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh, CPU not CU. That'll teach me to read posts on my phone! They still stack, yep.

The other option is to get a more advanced computer. You can increase the max CPU without increasing its size.

Last edited:

Remove ads