D&D 5E Starting Equipment/Gold Question

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Okay. Was just unsure because the back ground gives items with no real value such as poorly wrought maps from your homeland. Thank you.

Several backgrounds give equipment of significant value, though, and some even give you outright cash.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Playing a Dwarf Ranger and the Heavy Crossbow just seemed to fit better with the character. As far as the Studded leather, No dex cap and no stealth disadvantage. The other option was leather armor which is 1 points less than studded.
See, to my mind the Dwarf with a Heavy Crossbow is "typical" of the Dwarven warrior and soo "fits better" due to the stereotype.

The longbow you can eventually fire twice without needing the Crossbow Expert feat due to the loading property of the crossbow... And he can start with leather, and buy studded leather after the adventure begins, giving the player something to work for.

But, as I said swapping out such things is very reasonable if you don't want to bother with rolling for starting gold.

Mad_Jack

Legend
As a DM, I'd have no problem with you adding up the total cost of the gear you got from your class list and background, and just using that amount of gold to buy the starting gear you wanted.

Tigit

Explorer
See, to my mind the Dwarf with a Heavy Crossbow is "typical" of the Dwarven warrior and soo "fits better" due to the stereotype.

The longbow you can eventually fire twice without needing the Crossbow Expert feat due to the loading property of the crossbow... And he can start with leather, and buy studded leather after the adventure begins, giving the player something to work for.

But, as I said swapping out such things is very reasonable if you don't want to bother with rolling for starting gold.
Playing against type is fun but some things just make sense. While elves are known for there bows, dwarves are known for crafting metal, be it armor or metal weapons. So growing up using a crossbow instead of a bow makes sense, eventually 1+1 still equals 2.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Personally, the items found in a Background equipment but not in the Adventure Gear table i generally give them for free.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Playing against type is fun but some things just make sense. While elves are known for there bows, dwarves are known for crafting metal, be it armor or metal weapons. So growing up using a crossbow instead of a bow makes sense, eventually 1+1 still equals 2.
Actually, dwarves are known as excellent craftsmen, whether metal, gemstones, stonework, wood, brewing, or whatever. Saying they are only known for crafting metal just enforces the stereotype. This is why "some things just make sense" to you and/or the player.

Also, whose to say this dwarf didn't have access to a bow (found, bought, traded for, etc.) and realized its superiority to the crossbows used by other dwarves, and so mastered how to use it? Rangers are proficient in all weapons, after all, so this dwarf knows how to use a bow anyway.

Of course, it could start with the crossbow instead of a bow, and then purchase and use a bow later on, just as it could only have leather armor and buy studded leather after getting some gold...

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
(FYI, "studded leather" was never even a real armor... Ringed leather was and would be better if you want "realism" in the game...).

220px-AsprinThievesWorldVelezCover.jpg

These gentlemen would like a word with you.

Out back.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
220px-AsprinThievesWorldVelezCover.jpg

These gentlemen would like a word with you.

Out back.
:rolleyes:

Yep, and it was stuff like that and this...
1674468912380.png

that perpetuated the myth when designers in the 70's mistakenly saw images like these

1674469341223.png
1674469356266.png

which is really this

1674469068403.png

known as brigandine... not "studded leather" (which never existed).

R_J_K75

Legend
I stopped caring a long time ago what equipment my players choose at PC creation and from session to session. This is all within reason, and magical items are not allowed unless I specifically allow them. Shopping for a long sword in game is not something I want to do anymore at this point in my life. I decided that it's reasonable to assume that adventurers are going to be adequately equipped at 1st level and thereafter as they advance through their adventuring career, so we generally don't keep track of resources such as that. I came up with a percentile table ranging from mundane, common, rare and unique items that I can roll on in the event the players come across a situation where a certain item would come in useful. I think it's safe to say that characters are going to come across, pick up and keep random things; so, it's not a stretch for me to just say yes/no or roll on my table when a player asks if they might have a piece of equipment in their possession. Again, all within reason and this works for us better than meticulously tracking inventory. Although this reminds me of a funny story. One player in our 2E days was new to the game and we walked him through PC creation and then left him alone to choose his gear. Turns out he bought a 128 cu. ft. cord of firewood and put it in his backpack. Needless to say we laughed for quite a while over this.

Remove ads