D&D 5E Starting level

Reynard

Legend
I personally HATE skipping first and second levels. To me, it is an important part of the character arc and I really enjoy low level play. In my current campaign our first session was a zero-level funnel.

Anyway, if you are going to skip levels 1 and 2, I'm not sure I see the point in making them earn the XP for those levels and 3rd before they can level up to 4th. I suppose it does have the advantage of extending tier one play while avoiding the the squishy levels. I wonder why you don't just go full milestone leveling? Decide how many sessions, about, you want to play at certain levels and level up when it feels right for the story.
I would never do milestone leveling in a sandbox campaign. The whole point is that the players get to make risk and reward assessments and decide what sorts of activities and challenges they want to undertake. That includes whether they go to the "higher level" zone early to get bigger xp and treasure rewards. (I don't really create explicit zones but I do try and signpost enough that they can make informed decisions.)

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
To me the low levels are where the players can get immersed in the setting, before the main adventure kicks off. Basically it’s the normal world before the call to adventure comes at level 3 to 5. They’re making connections (friends, family etc) and tackling local stuff before trouble arrives and wrecks their happy little lives.

Reynard

Legend
To me the low levels are where the players can get immersed in the setting, before the main adventure kicks off. Basically it’s the normal world before the call to adventure comes at level 3 to 5. They’re making connections (friends, family etc) and tackling local stuff before trouble arrives and wrecks their happy little lives.
Well, I don't plan a "main adventure" to kick off, but I get your meaning.

Oofta

Legend
Unless I'm doing a short-term campaign or 1 shot, I want to start at 1st level. It lets me develop and form the character concept a bit but I also appreciate higher levels much more. The lower levels are where you can't really have much impact on the bigger picture so you are getting a better understanding of how the campaign world fits together.

So first level for me. I like the sense of discovery and growth.

R_J_K75

Legend
In my world, characters start at level one. Always. No exceptions. Your character died? Restart at level 1. New player? Start at level one.

What happens if the rest of the party is a significantly higher level. Everyones 5th-7th level, and one player is 1st, how does that play out? Seems like it would limit the party. I kind of remember doing this in 1E and 2E but it wasn't much fun for either the higher levels or the level 1 player, nor did it help the DM when that level 1 player kept dying like the drummer from Spinal Tap.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I personally HATE skipping first and second levels. To me, it is an important part of the character arc and I really enjoy low level play. In my current campaign our first session was a zero-level funnel.

Anyway, if you are going to skip levels 1 and 2, I'm not sure I see the point in making them earn the XP for those levels and 3rd before they can level up to 4th. I suppose it does have the advantage of extending tier one play while avoiding the the squishy levels. I wonder why you don't just go full milestone leveling? Decide how many sessions, about, you want to play at certain levels and level up when it feels right for the story.

Can you talk more about zero level funnel for 5e? Or maybe I am assuming you were playing 5e.

Also, agree with you - no need for them to earn that xp. In fact, I wiuld just say “you gave 900xp, make characters as you like”. Gives them oppty to make multi-class if desired.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I think 5e levels you up toofast especially for a sandbox. I would think about doubling xp required for all levels.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases