D&D 5E Starting level

jasper

Rotten DM
What happens if the rest of the party is a significantly higher level. Everyones 5th-7th level, and one player is 1st, how does that play out? Seems like it would limit the party. I kind of remember doing this in 1E and 2E but it wasn't much fun for either the higher levels or the level 1 player, nor did it help the DM when that level 1 player kept dying like the drummer from Spinal Tap.
You give the new pc free levels. Aka they start at 5th. If you mean they only have starting equipment. If nice you figure out a gp amount and let them shop.

R_J_K75

Legend
You give the new pc free levels. Aka they start at 5th. If you mean they only have starting equipment. If nice you figure out a gp amount and let them shop.

Ive done that many times but the poster I quoted said that everyone starts any new character at level 1 regardless of what level everyone else is at. I usually start players in an existing campaign 2 levels lower than the lowest PC. Seems to work.

Reynard

Legend
Level 3. The point of a sandbox is to go exploring and see what happens. That isn't nearly as fun when a random crit can drop you.
I think the chance of sudden, ignominious death at any level is a feature, not a bug. Adventuring is dangerous business. I want players to act like people's whose lives are on the line but they do it anyway, maybe out of greed or a sense of duty or straight up foolhardiness.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I think the chance of sudden, ignominious death at any level is a feature, not a bug. Adventuring is dangerous business. I want players to act like people's whose lives are on the line but they do it anyway, maybe out of greed or a sense of duty or straight up foolhardiness.
I'm fine with random death. I just don't think 1st level is the best place to do it.

Fundamentally, I'm against any sort of penalty that encourages careful, cautious play; I want my PCs to dive into dangerous situations so I can freely challenge them. But I'm aware that cautious play is a play aesthetic that a lot of people like to encourage.

aco175

Legend
1st level. As the DM you can now introduce the threat or the overall feel for the campaign. There can be several small ideas like in the Essentials boxed set where the PCs are being introduced to the NPCs around the land and slowly figuring out the main threat and how things are tied together.

Starting at 3rd level means that you can jump into more action faster and may work if you have a timeframe you need to cover. Say you only have 12 week for the spring semester of college, then this may fit.

Bupp

Adventurer
Being stuck at home, I just talked to my boys (14 year old twins) about starting a new sandbox last night. Told them level 1.

I do think later that "replacement" characters starting two levels beneath lowest current would be ok. I still may do level 1 each time, though. We'll see.

My personal preference is to start at level 3 (or even level 2) with 0 XP. It strikes the balance between robust characters and "free" experience. But I'd give players the option to start at level 1, if that's what they want. It's their characters, after all. And it's only about 5 sessions of play, regardless.

the Jester

Legend
if you were playing would you rather start at first level, or start at 3rd level but have to earn all the "skipped" xp before you can level up? Why? Also, would it work if you gave individual players the choice?

1st level every time. I have a strong preference for that.

It might work if you let each player choose, but some players might resent being 1st level while the others are 3rd. It seems an odd way to decide. Whatever you choose, it's more fair to be consistent with the whole group imho.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
I always have the group start at level 1 and it seems my players prefer it actually as they feel a bit 'disconnected' to their character even starting at level 3. I also find that it leads to really cool moments as melee is more "swingy" and the actions (or rolls) of one PC leads to bragging rights and the whole, Sir Stranex just critical hit and killed that shadow, I am now "Sir Stranex Shadowbane" or things like that...

Remove ads