D&D 5E Starting to Hate Hexblades

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Here's the basic details of each spell.

I'm sure somewhere on the net there must be a full write-up of them, but it didn't come up with a cursory search.
Thanks. :) There are a few neat new ones in here, as well as some familiar ones I'd expect to see, like Blur, Strength, and Vampiric Touch.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
wizard is clearly better than magic user.
It's definitely more evocative! OTOH it's less generic, and generic can be a virtue if you have just one arcane magic class which is meant to encompass wizards, warlocks, witches, mages, enchanters, sorcerers, etc. I can see the original point of the generic term. The two main original classes were each designed to cover a wide range of fantasy heroes, and the Cleric was a bit of a departure, designed to kind of bridge the gap between them while offering a couple of unique capabilities and limitations.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
It's definitely more evocative! OTOH it's less generic, and generic can be a virtue if you have just one arcane magic class which is meant to encompass wizards, warlocks, witches, mages, enchanters, sorcerers, etc. I can see the original point of the generic term. The two main original classes were each designed to cover a wide range of fantasy heroes, and the Cleric was a bit of a departure, designed to kind of bridge the gap between them while offering a couple of unique capabilities and limitations.
the cleric would have benefited from being wider conceptually.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Talk to me about what you wanna have from your class and we'll work something out that doesn't involve a dip. If that means designing or re-building a subclass or entire class to cover what you're hoping to do, so be it.
This is the best solution, I feel. I don't have a problem with multiclass builds in the abstract, but I'd rather do some homebrewing to build a more linear path for the character's growth. If you want a Charisma-SAD warrior type with short rest smites, we can build something to support that.

If the player wants to play that primarily because they enjoy system mastery and the high of coming into a game with a strong build, then we might have an issue with misaligned play priorities, where I'd have to to watch the player to make sure they fit with the group.

If the player wants to play that primarily because they enjoy system mastery and the high of coming into a game with a strong build, then we might have an issue with misaligned play priorities, where I'd have to to watch the player to make sure they fit with the group.
Note that a player could enjoy that as only one of many things they want, and many players like flexing system mastery within constraints, even if (often especially if) it means they don't overshadow other players. Once you get a knack for systems, it's hard to un-see the synergies that exist.

In other words: multiclassing doesn't mean munchkin.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases