Starting watching Another Life on Netflix - wow, can they hit any more cliches? SPOILERS

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I mean, this is a crew that it is on the most important mission in human history and they're all basically of the emotional maturity level of the cast of 90210.

I just had a mental vision of a young Luke Perry with Star Trek-style forehead prostheses and Shannen Dougherty in bright red body paint.

Janx

Hero
Perhaps the biggest annoyance for me was the emotional immaturity and stupidity of people, especially the crew. I mean, this is a crew that it is on the most important mission in human history and they're all basically of the emotional maturity level of the cast of 90210.

In a similar thought, I'd summed it up to my wife as a Millennials Suck Cautionary Tale. A forty year old is stuck working with the worst stereotypes of Millennials. More than half of them sound like they got the job because of family connections.

No uniforms. No standardized military chain of command. The doctor barely seems compentent as a doctor. The science people seem unscientific. Why yes, Mr. Geologist, that puddle of goo is not a rock, and therefore might be alive. Because it's goo.

Mr. Mutiny can't seem to wrap his head around that if he was wrong about the 11% chance risk since it turned out bad, he was also therefore wrong about the mutiny. Niko can't even explain that to the crew or how he came at her with a stabby thing before she kicked him back, which happened to be electrozappy. Gee, that would make it sound way less "killed an objector."

And what about video evidence? If Mr. Hologram cane be in any room, they gotta have cameras so he can see to do his job.

It's a trainwreck. It's stuck on the writer's trick that things get worse or has to go wrong every episode. Somehow that has to be based on "so somebody does something stupid" like we've never seen a zombie movie or Alien(s) before.

On the plus side, I've seen a few of Netflix's other sci-fi films with two and a half characters and the AI always turns evil. I can't wait until William decides to go postal.

Hussar

Legend
Seeing Danny Pink go all murdery on the crew would definitely be worth watching.

But, yeah, the video evidence thing did occur to me. If Mr Hologram can be in all parts of the ship, then there have to be cameras. So, why not show the crew?

Grrrr. Shows like this just bug the crap out of me. One of my guilty pleasures is Arrow. But, after Season 6 where, gee, every single member of the team betrays Oliver but it's 100% his fault, I just can't bring myself to care anymore.

Hussar

Legend
The Magic Guy makes sense when you realize that Arrow is simply Batman for the small screen. It's a wonder they didn't make Oliver's son some psycho killer like Damien.

Ryujin

Legend
In a similar thought, I'd summed it up to my wife as a Millennials Suck Cautionary Tale. A forty year old is stuck working with the worst stereotypes of Millennials. More than half of them sound like they got the job because of family connections.

No uniforms. No standardized military chain of command. The doctor barely seems compentent as a doctor. The science people seem unscientific. Why yes, Mr. Geologist, that puddle of goo is not a rock, and therefore might be alive. Because it's goo.

Mr. Mutiny can't seem to wrap his head around that if he was wrong about the 11% chance risk since it turned out bad, he was also therefore wrong about the mutiny. Niko can't even explain that to the crew or how he came at her with a stabby thing before she kicked him back, which happened to be electrozappy. Gee, that would make it sound way less "killed an objector."

And what about video evidence? If Mr. Hologram cane be in any room, they gotta have cameras so he can see to do his job.

It's a trainwreck. It's stuck on the writer's trick that things get worse or has to go wrong every episode. Somehow that has to be based on "so somebody does something stupid" like we've never seen a zombie movie or Alien(s) before.

On the plus side, I've seen a few of Netflix's other sci-fi films with two and a half characters and the AI always turns evil. I can't wait until William decides to go postal.

I think that what they were going for with Mutiny Boy was "suicide by cop", but it was very poorly telegraphed. He looked back at the open circuit before advancing on Niko with a drywall saw (Yes, that's what it was, a drywall saw :hmm: ) and seemed to line himself up for a kicking. If they could have somehow explained that he couldn't live with pretty much screwing the whole mission, it might have played better. Instead we got something that I had to back up through three times, to figure out if I'd seen what I thought I saw.

Yeah, hologram everywhere but can't SEE everywhere seems rather stupid. There are ways that could have been handled, like 'he can only see where he's been called, for reasons of privacy.' Even then you would expect their government overlords would have set up clandestine recording of everything, 'cause *save the world!!!* So many holes that you could drive a star cruiser through. I can understand having a few holes, for story reasons, but when your whole show is one big hole......

Hussar

Legend
Wow. I think this is a first. No one is coming to the defense of this show. Yikes.

Um.... Altered Carbon sucks too... The Expanse is overblown... :p :D (One of those is a lie and one of those is true.)

Janx

Hero
Seeing Danny Pink go all murdery on the crew would definitely be worth watching.

But, yeah, the video evidence thing did occur to me. If Mr Hologram can be in all parts of the ship, then there have to be cameras. So, why not show the crew?

Grrrr. Shows like this just bug the crap out of me. One of my guilty pleasures is Arrow. But, after Season 6 where, gee, every single member of the team betrays Oliver but it's 100% his fault, I just can't bring myself to care anymore.

and I just saw the episode where Shasha didn't eat the salad and they projected a holographic reproduction in order to prove that. Without a working AI even.

drl2

Explorer
It felt like somebody threw the scripts for Inception, Alien, and Arrival into a blender with a handful of Archie comics. I'm still wondering if most of what appears to happen in has actually happened, and not sure if I care.

That said, if it gets a season 2 I'll probably watch it. :)

Remove ads