Statement on OGL from WotC

Wizards of the Coast has made a short statement regarding the ongoing rumors surrounding OneD&D and the Open Gaming License. In a short response to Comicbook.com, the company said "We will continue to support the thousands of creators making third-party D&D content with the release of One D&D in 2024. While it is certain our Open Game License (OGL) will continue to evolve, just as it has since its inception, we're too early in the development of One D&D to give more specifics on the OGL or System Reference Document (SRD) at this time."

wizards-of-the-coast-companyupdate-1614278964279-1756307320.jpg

It's not clear what WotC means when they say that the OGL will 'continue to evolve' -- while there have been two versions of the license released over the years, each is non-rescindible so people are free to use whichever version of the license they wish. Indeed, that is written into the license itself -- "Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License."

During the D&D 4th Edition era, WotC published a new, separate license called the Game System Licence (GSL). While it was used by third party publishers, it was generally upopular.

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
They have shown us re-written passages from the proposed books. If they were just doing a reprint with new art I think they would say so.
They've officially rewritten at least some parts of all of the books through errata. That doesn't mean that they're entirely different editions of D&D from the first printing, though. However, edition debates pretty quickly fall into arguments about the ship of theseus, and you've already made up your mind that OneD&D is a new edition. So I don't see much point in bringing up this discussion again.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
From WotC themselves:
One D&D will take what we love from fifth edition and create an experience that is not only backwards compatible with the adventures and supplements you enjoy today but that will evolve the game for years to come. You’ll see updates to just about every facet of the game, from player classes to backgrounds and even to how we lay out books and present game information. Our goal is to improve on everything that has made D&D the best tabletop roleplaying game in the world.

One D&D

Yaarel

He Mage
I assume the "evolving" OGL refers to what content is available, which normally expands content with new additions, but occasionally prunes obsolete content.

Hussar

Legend
They have shown us re-written passages from the proposed books. If they were just doing a reprint with new art I think they would say so.
There's a fair middle ground between an entire rewrite, and a simple reprint with new art.

Did you also feel it was a new edition of the game when the 3e PHB was rewritten between first and second printings? As in there are large swaths of the book that were rewritten?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
There's a fair middle ground between an entire rewrite, and a simple reprint with new art.

Did you also feel it was a new edition of the game when the 3e PHB was rewritten between first and second printings? As in there are large swaths of the book that were rewritten?
Are you talking about 3.5? I only ever bought the 3.0 book once, so I don't know what they changed between that and 3.5.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases