Statement on OGL from WotC

Wizards of the Coast has made a short statement regarding the ongoing rumors surrounding OneD&D and the Open Gaming License. In a short response to Comicbook.com, the company said "We will continue to support the thousands of creators making third-party D&D content with the release of One D&D in 2024. While it is certain our Open Game License (OGL) will continue to evolve, just as it has since its inception, we're too early in the development of One D&D to give more specifics on the OGL or System Reference Document (SRD) at this time."

wizards-of-the-coast-companyupdate-1614278964279-1756307320.jpg

It's not clear what WotC means when they say that the OGL will 'continue to evolve' -- while there have been two versions of the license released over the years, each is non-rescindible so people are free to use whichever version of the license they wish. Indeed, that is written into the license itself -- "Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License."

During the D&D 4th Edition era, WotC published a new, separate license called the Game System Licence (GSL). While it was used by third party publishers, it was generally upopular.

Last edited:

Drake2000

Explorer
Yeah I'm increasingly convinced new leadership is needed at WotC deseperately. I suspect that the activist investors are quietly marshalling their forces for a renewed battle over the fate of WotC, just too many angry fans, bad publicity, potential lawsuits, and a host of other issues. WotC is just too valuable to keep dropping the ball like this.
I believe Cynthia Williams and Dan Rawson are fairly new hires. I also believe they're doing exactly what power investors and the higher-ups at Hasbro want them to do, which is protect and monetize their IP to the hilt to increase their revenue stream. This isn't really about D&D rulebooks, or even the game itself, this is about squeezing every last penny they can out of the D&D brand, and either eliminating the competition, or bringing it to heel under WotC's own terms.

Staffan

Legend
Right, I was just saying, “spokeswoman” seems like a really disingenuous way to describe her relationship with 1D&D.
I think "spokeswoman" comes from her being hired to handle the D&D portion of the presentation WOTC did a few months back of their 2023 offerings. But AFAIK that was one gig, not an ongoing position.

Amy Dallen's probably closer to a spokesperson as she's an ongoing host on the D&D Beyond side of things, but that's still more of an "entertainment" position.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm not sure if anyone here can answer this, but hopefully @Morrus would know better than I.

I've had just over a handful of my articles published for EN5ider. Would my ability to write OGL content in the future be protected through this, or would I personally have to publish something on my own before the new OGL is released?
Well (a) I don't know that it would work and (b) if it did, it would apply to the publisher.

Art Waring

halozix.com
I'm not sure if anyone here can answer this, but hopefully @Morrus would know better than I.

I've had just over a handful of my articles published for EN5ider. Would my ability to write OGL content in the future be protected through this, or would I personally have to publish something on my own before the new OGL is released?
I'm an not 100% certain about anything right now, but I think you would need to include the 1.0a OGL license together with any material you have posted up on the internet. So I guess you can make a PDF, add the 1.0a license as you would with any OGL product, and hopefully we will get some better news soon.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I am not a lawyer of any kind, and have no inside info, but I believe WotC's intent with "de-authorizing" the OGL 1.0 and 1.0a licenses means that anything published under them while they were authorized will be OK to keep in print and give away or sell in the future. I think they intend this to be complete products and not placeholders for further development and/or additional future content to be released under 1.0/1.0a.

In other words, I don't think they would look kindly on my putting out a one-page PDF today that says "My Game Stuff Here" with the OGL 1.0a attached, and at some point (after OGL 1.1 goes into effect) I add the 5.1 SRD content to that PDF and post it again without updating to the OGL 1.1 license. I do not think that is what the terms mean in the minds of WotC's lawyers.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases