Statement on OGL from WotC

Wizards of the Coast has made a short statement regarding the ongoing rumors surrounding OneD&D and the Open Gaming License. In a short response to Comicbook.com, the company said "We will continue to support the thousands of creators making third-party D&D content with the release of One D&D in 2024. While it is certain our Open Game License (OGL) will continue to evolve, just as it has...

Wizards of the Coast has made a short statement regarding the ongoing rumors surrounding OneD&D and the Open Gaming License. In a short response to Comicbook.com, the company said "We will continue to support the thousands of creators making third-party D&D content with the release of One D&D in 2024. While it is certain our Open Game License (OGL) will continue to evolve, just as it has since its inception, we're too early in the development of One D&D to give more specifics on the OGL or System Reference Document (SRD) at this time."

wizards-of-the-coast-companyupdate-1614278964279-1756307320.jpg

It's not clear what WotC means when they say that the OGL will 'continue to evolve' -- while there have been two versions of the license released over the years, each is non-rescindible so people are free to use whichever version of the license they wish. Indeed, that is written into the license itself -- "Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License."

During the D&D 4th Edition era, WotC published a new, separate license called the Game System Licence (GSL). While it was used by third party publishers, it was generally upopular.

glass

(he, him)
I believe Cynthia Williams and Dan Rawson are fairly new hires. I also believe they're doing exactly what power investors and the higher-ups at Hasbro want them to do, which is protect and monetize their IP to the hilt to increase their revenue stream.
They are obviously trying to monetise D&D, but depending on how this plays out they may end up doing the opposite of "protecting" the investment. The story of the goose that laid the golden egg springs to mind. EDIT: To be clear, I am not saying this will kill D&D (unlike the poor goose). But it might end up making quite a dent in it.

Last edited:

Plokman

Explorer
They are obviously trying to monetise D&D, but depending on how this plays out they may end up doing the opposite of "protecting" the investment. The story of the goose that laid the golden egg springs to mind. EDIT: To be clear, I am not saying this will kill D&D (unlike the poor goose). But it might end up making quite a dent in it.
Corporate people, those who ask "What do we have?" as opposed to "What can we find or create" should never be allowed to make these decisions. They always follow the money.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I just got an email from Kobold Press overnight saying that they'll soon be launching their Deep Magic II kickstarter 'for 5th edition games' in the near future. Odds on are that KP are one of the 3pps under NDA - it'll be interesting to see what licence they publish under, whether they've come to a private bespoke agreement with WotC, or whether they talk about any of this at all. It doesn't seem to have made them put a hold on their product pipeline though.
Kobold is one of the 3pp I'm most interested in seeing what they do. They and EN are the two 3pp I've spent the most supporting.
I suspect that the activist investors are quietly marshalling their forces for a renewed battle over the fate of WotC
Their claim was Hasbro needed to sell Wizards because Hasbro was holding back Wizards from monetizing the game enough.

Kobold is one of the 3pp I'm most interested in seeing what they do. They and EN are the two 3pp I've spent the most supporting.

Their claim was Hasbro needed to sell Wizards because Hasbro was holding back Wizards from monetizing the game enough.

Doesn't mean they wanted WotC to create a huge backlash in the process, I suspect they had their own idea of how to increasing the monetization of D&D by you know, producing more products worth buying, not illegally breaching a contract with who knows how many companies and pissing off the D&D fandom.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Doesn't mean they wanted WotC to create a huge backlash in the process, I suspect they had their own idea of how to increasing the monetization of D&D by you know, producing more products worth buying, not illegally breaching a contract with who knows how many companies and pissing off the D&D fandom.

Wizards says that they want to monetize via movies, streams, video games -- posters here assumed that meant microtransactions.
but the activist investors that fronted hedge fund say they want to monetize and the assumption is benevolent glut?

Wizards says that they want to monetize via movies, streams, video games -- posters here assumed that meant microtransactions.
but the activist investors that fronted hedge fund say they want to monetize and the assumption is benevolent glut?

Glut is too strong a word. There is a right way and a wrong why to monetize D&D, WotC chose wrong.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I really, really wish people wouldn't equate the words "more" and "glut". They are not the same, and "glut" is an entirely subjective term.

Irlo

Hero
I suspect they wanted to extract value (by way of stock dividends) from WotC. By breaking WotC away from the lower-performing arms of Hasbro, they could achieve that goal. I really don’t think they’re concerned about making products worth buying.

This is the activist investor version of gerrymandering.

I suspect they wanted to extract value (by way of stock dividends) from WotC. By breaking WotC away from the lower-performing arms of Hasbro, they could achieve that goal. I really don’t think they’re concerned about making products worth buying.

This is the activist investor version of gerrymandering.

Honestly, they really emphasised their roots in the fandom, I suspect profits we're never their only goal, they just had to couch things in those terms to sway other investors, as fans I think they weren't happy with the direction of WotC.

Remove ads

Remove ads