Statement on OGL from WotC

Wizards of the Coast has made a short statement regarding the ongoing rumors surrounding OneD&D and the Open Gaming License. In a short response to Comicbook.com, the company said "We will continue to support the thousands of creators making third-party D&D content with the release of One D&D in 2024. While it is certain our Open Game License (OGL) will continue to evolve, just as it has since its inception, we're too early in the development of One D&D to give more specifics on the OGL or System Reference Document (SRD) at this time."

wizards-of-the-coast-companyupdate-1614278964279-1756307320.jpg

It's not clear what WotC means when they say that the OGL will 'continue to evolve' -- while there have been two versions of the license released over the years, each is non-rescindible so people are free to use whichever version of the license they wish. Indeed, that is written into the license itself -- "Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License."

During the D&D 4th Edition era, WotC published a new, separate license called the Game System Licence (GSL). While it was used by third party publishers, it was generally upopular.

Last edited:

My guess is just them stating that they’re aware of the leak, and, to avoid confusion, they are making 1.1 public for everyone to read. That’s it.

I work in medium and large corporations. I have supported the executives for a global leader that sells its cheapest product at $65,000,000. The self-awareness needed to realize this mistake is not really present at this level of corporate America.

glass

(he, him)
Corporate people, those who ask "What do we have?" as opposed to "What can we find or create" should never be allowed to make these decisions. They always follow the money.
They always try to follow the money (which TBF is their job). They often turn out to be terrible at it, though!

2) the document is real but only for the few companies it was sent to, and the more general OGL will be “kinder”. Sucks for those poor sods but ok for the rest of us. Wotc might stay quiet to get them to sign… i mean they are obviously going to find out once the general doc is released, so it’s not like hiding that fact is going to hold us long term.
Would trying to get someone to sign a contract based on an OGL you never plan to actually release not be fraud? If they actually did that, never mind civil consequences - people should be going to gaol!

This is the only thing they've posted since January 4.
Best part of that? Posted at exactly 1300 Pacific. Probably scheduled via a tool to post at that time (don't have Twitter, don't know what they have that could do that, but I imagine that they have a feature that's been in email for over 25 years...).

Eric V

Hero
""We will continue to support the thousands of creators making third-party D&D content with the release of One D&D in 2024."
...if you sign up with OGL1.1, probably. That's how I read it, anyway.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases