• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Statting the Breakfast Club

phindar

First Post
I dug out my old bootleg copy of the Breakfast Club this morning, and watching it I was struck by how much like an adventuring party they are.

You see us as you want to see us... In the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions... a brain... an athlete... a basket case... a princess... and a criminal...

Brian, "The Brain" (Anthony Michael Hall): Wizard.

Andrew, "The Athlete" (Emilio Estevez): The conventional wisdom would be to make him a Fighter, and that's not a bad way to go. I'd want to play up the high school wrestler aspect, and make him a monk with Imp Grapple.

Allison, "The Basket Case" (Ally Sheedy): Rogue. It would seem like the smart money would be to make Bender the rogue, as he is both roguish and the criminal, but Ally Sheedy spends most of the movie taking things from people, as well as being able to trick Claire into her confession. That's the mark of someone with a lot of skill points spread around.

Claire, "The Princess" (Molly Ringwald): I was thinking Sorcerer. Someone who thinks the world revolves around her and is at least partially correct. Or you could give her Aristocrat levels and make her an actual princess.

Bender, "The Criminal" (Judd Nelson): I'm going to buck convention on this one, and say Bard. Despite once threatening Andrew with a swtichblade, Bender was a completely social character, mostly Bluff and Intimidate.

That's how I'd do it, on the first run through. Of course, there's no cleric on the list, and if you go the Monk route with Andrew, no fighter-type.

I'll agree on your judgements, except Bender..
While I agree the 'buck conventional wisdom' tack is the route to go, I would multi-class him. Bard, Fighter and Rogue all being acceptable draw pools. And while Wizard would be the first choice for Brian, an option of Cleric might be pursued with a devotion to a god/goddess of intellect (But only as an option, I too think Wizard would be the best first choice.)

I would have to balk on the Monk tag for Andrew only because the 'taping of the buttocks' isn't very lawful, so maybe he is Fighter with a 'brawling or hand-to-hand" specialization, but other than that, I'm right with ya on this.

I also concur on the choice for both Allison and Claire, Allison is a classic Rogue and Claire, a non-PC class of Aristocrat is right up her alley.

Cyronax

Explorer
Thunderfoot said:
I'll agree on your judgements, except Bender..
While I agree the 'buck conventional wisdom' tack is the route to go, I would multi-class him. Bard, Fighter and Rogue all being acceptable draw pools. And while Wizard would be the first choice for Brian, an option of Cleric might be pursued with a devotion to a god/goddess of intellect (But only as an option, I too think Wizard would be the best first choice.)

I would have to balk on the Monk tag for Andrew only because the 'taping of the buttocks' isn't very lawful, so maybe he is Fighter with a 'brawling or hand-to-hand" specialization, but other than that, I'm right with ya on this.

I also concur on the choice for both Allison and Claire, Allison is a classic Rogue and Claire, a non-PC class of Aristocrat is right up her alley.

I thought Bender was an alcoholic robot with a gamblingn problem? He's also an actor?

Sigh, no money to watch movies.

C.I.D.

Klaus

First Post
Bender and Allison could both be Rogues, with Bender focusing on Climb, Open Locks, Hide, Move Silently, Escape Artist, Bluff and Intimidate, whereas Allison focuses on Sleight of Hand, Diplomacy, Bluff, Craft (visual arts), Perform (acting)...

Wait. Now that I wrote that out, Bender seems remarkably Rogue, and Allison seems remarkably Bard!

Brian as the Brain (or at least Cloistered Cleric), Andrew as a Fighter/Reaping Mauler and Claire as an Aristocrat seem about right.

Felon

First Post
Sticking with D20 Moderon classes:

Andrew--Strong (perfect for a wrestler)
Bender--Tough (he can thank his pop for all those beatings)
Allison--Fast (lots of Hide, Move Silently, and Sleight of Hand)
Brian--Smart
Claire--Charimsatic

And, to round them out, Carl the Janitor can be the insightful Dedicated.

Kestrel

Explorer
Aaron L said:
What about Uncle Buck?

True 20 Expert. (One of my favorite movies of all time)

What about the BBEG, Principal Vernon?

And somewhat related...Anthony Michael Hall is pretty versatile player:

Breakfast Club: Wizard
Sixteen Candles:?
Wierd Science:?
Edward Scissorhands:?
The Dead Zone:?

Felon

First Post
Kestrel said:
What about the BBEG, Principal Vernon?
Hmm. Not strong, tough, fast, dedicated, smart, or charismatic material. I think he's just some kind of bitter monstrous humanoid.

Remove ads