D&D 5E Sticking with D&D?

I have a custom dungeon I made 24 squared feet plus. Hundreds of minis in a lit display case and 12-15 5e books. I play on average 1.5 times a month (sadly not enough).

I have not scratched the surface really. Unless I disliked the game or just had to have the new books to be fashionable, there is no reason to plan anything except the next adventure.

Books since Tasha’s have been so far away from what I want. The direction and art direction is leaving me cold. I want more retro, not less.

Cat people with laser tails are not for me. Media seems more like soap operas than a wargame derivative with story. I am a fossil. Probably have gone as far as I will.

And I really hate the moralizing stuff. Keep the game from anti inclusive content? Screw your former partners to make sure they are not buttholes? For real? What is that supposed to mean? You’re like the borg. The borg of money and it’s ok. But get off my lawn, take your Sunday school teachers with you and let me play with my pals in the basement, cold beer in hand and evil heavy metal in the background.

I am almost glad to have to buy less. I do want and orcus mini to complete my demons, I admit.
Yeah. I bought Dragonlance but not Spelljammer. But I am happy to buy less or my wife is happy I will buy less. The Orcus mini is awesome though the new minis like the demon and devils seem unusually large as far as scale.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Yeah, my brother painted me demogorgon grazz’t and zuggamatov (or how do I spell it?!):

I have the yeeonghu and juiblex….I almost HAVE to buy orcus…

But I just am left cold by WOTC of late. Leaving it here before the movie and shows might be best for me too. I don’t even want to see how that will pan out.

Bupp

Adventurer
This OGL and half asses apology is my jumping the shark moment, though I've pretty much not purchased anything from WotC for some time.

I will not be playing Dungeons & Dragons anymore. My one game has been on hiatus, and when I restart, it will be with another system to be named.

I will still be playing D&D, in as much that D&D is a generic term for "fantasy RPG". Like Kleenex and Q-tips.

Lichbeard

Explorer
Most of this is all just drama. 5E is mostly dead anyway. It's on the way out with only a few more releases. Stop buying WOTC because your angry? Sure! I probably will not buy another thing.....but I probably wouldn't have anyway so that's not such a huge statement. I already paid for all my books and im not going to stop playing my games. That wouldn't hurt WOTC but it would hurt me! I did cancel my D&D Beyond, we all did but that isn't that bad either. It's nice to have but not needed. THAT is what WOTC seems to have forgot.

Well I am certain I will buy another book from D&D/WoTC, probably the next one in fact. I usually buy about one of their releases each year and even though I am disappointed the OGL is probably dead I don’t plan to stop.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I’ve been unstuck to D&D for sometime now. 5E is fine albeit rather boring to play, IMO. I was interested by the play test and anniversary edition but that enthusiasm is sufficiently curbed at the moment.

aco175

Legend
I will still buy something worth buying for me. I am looking forward to the Phandalin campaign, but hope is more than a bound box set- which I have. The others this year look like more meh.

I will look more at 3pp for a book or campaign that I want to run. I like the PF adventure series but do not want to update to 5e myself. One of the problems I see is that I cannot go to my FLGS and flip through a lot of 3pp books to see if I like it enough to buy. The one paragraph or couple pages of outline might not be enough to make me want to buy. There is also something about buying and walking out of the store with it, but a PDF sale is kind of the same. I was impressed with KP and their freebees for advent this year so they deserve a good look as well. I should buy more 3pp since I like supporting the hobby and plan to look closer for something to buy and run.

G

Guest 7034872

As others have noted, "stick with" is somewhat semantically open. If by "stick with," we mean "will spend money on while playing," then my answer is, "No." If, though, we only mean, "will continue playing," then my answer is, "Yes." I don't do recurring subscriptions in the first place, though, so the effect of all this on my gaming habits might be atypical.

Remove ads