D&D 5E Sticking with D&D?

Oofta

Legend
Yes I do. It is mostly a different group of creators and they are already not using the OGL.

If the new OGL goes through and if the old OGL is no longer effective, I think it will virtually no impact on content creators. The only reason I see WOTC shutting down a small time creator would be if they try to publish something particularly egregious. A larger publisher like Paizo? I don't see that happening either just because of the backlash.

In addition the odds of WOTC copying Bob's Bountiful Boutique, a book of magic items, that's been marked as PI being copied verbatim is also about as close to zero as it can get. There's a ton of material WOTC could have been copying over the years that was not marked as PI and other than a monster or two and it's never happened.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
My group has enough D&D 5e and earlier material that if we choose, we can ignore any new rulebooks or bells & whistles for a new version. We also have history with Pathfinder and other systems, so we may choose to go that route. I do not see us adopting 1D&D, and if we did, it would be a few years before we made the switch.
That was my rationale for not buying much/any 5.5 before this. We have not plumbed the depths of the game and are still having a lot of fun with it.

That was my rationale for not buying much/any 5.5 before this. We have not plumbed the depths of the game and are still having a lot of fun with it.
This is why it confused me as to why they wanted do anything other than a Tashas style rules update. I'm no business genius or anything like that so I'm sure there's things I just don't see. I don't understand why they would even want to majorly change the foundation (the ogl) 5e was built on. I'm sure "mo money baby" is the answer. I just felt like they could have attempted to make DMsguild more attractive to bigger publishers, maybe even give the bigger players special terms for using DMsguild. Instead it looks like they decided to go full nuclear.

This is why it confused me as to why they wanted do anything other than a Tashas style rules update. I'm no business genius or anything like that so I'm sure there's things I just don't see. I don't understand why they would even want to majorly change the foundation (the ogl) 5e was built on. I'm sure "mo money baby" is the answer. I just felt like they could have attempted to make DMsguild more attractive to bigger publishers, maybe even give the bigger players special terms for using DMsguild. Instead it looks like they decided to go full nuclear.
The DMSGuild is never going to be the answer for ambitious medium sized 3PP. Profit has to be divided three ways and the quality is limited.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
There's a lot of content, particularly setting-related books, that can't be published elsewhere but DMsGuild, and the creators contractually can not move their products from DMsGuild to another site. A lot of projects that haven't been published yet likely can't be published elsewhere but DMsGuild. Telling a writer they should give up on something they've been working on for months to years because of a decision made by some marketing/business/legal executive, is frankly a slap in the face, especially when not everything needs to be boycotted to hit the bottom line hard enough for response (DnD Beyond, toys, and 1st-party stuff are more than enough).
I’m not telling any writers what they should do, I’m saying I expect to see a lot less content popping up on the DM’s guild in the future. Maybe I’m wrong though, time will tell.

Oofta

Legend
I’m not telling any writers what they should do, I’m saying I expect to see a lot less content popping up on the DM’s guild in the future. Maybe I’m wrong though, time will tell.
DmsGuild is not affected by the OGL, it's a separate license. Not sure why they would be affected one way or another.

Remove ads