D&D 5E Sticking with D&D?

The DMSGuild is never going to be the answer for ambitious medium sized 3PP. Profit has to be divided three ways and the quality is limited.
That's what I'm speculating on though. Like why didn't they leave the OGL alone, leave it as is. Then try to attract bigger 3pps who want to make 5e material by offering better than the standard terms for DMsguild. Just spit balling here but maybe say "Hey Kobold Press, come to DMsguild for your new 5e book. We will feature your book, make the royalties more appealing, and even invest a little into your product. If you agree we will even advertise your new book on Dndbeyond! Still not sure? Hey you can even keep publishing all your standard OGL stuff for as long as you want. Even better, after a year you can publish this new book outside of DMsguild. How does that sound?" All that just seems like a no brainer to me, but I'm no CEO of Hasbro so what do I know.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
This is why it confused me as to why they wanted do anything other than a Tashas style rules update. I'm no business genius or anything like that so I'm sure there's things I just don't see. I don't understand why they would even want to majorly change the foundation (the ogl) 5e was built on. I'm sure "mo money baby" is the answer. I just felt like they could have attempted to make DMsguild more attractive to bigger publishers, maybe even give the bigger players special terms for using DMsguild. Instead it looks like they decided to go full nuclear.
It’s all merely money. It’s business.

I laughed aloud when they said they were restricting things to prevent hateful non inclusive uses! Omg! Too funny!

And I don’t care really about their scheme on one level but boy did they screw people who thought they were honorable.

Morals have nothing to do with any of it. Not even on the decision tree. They expect when they launch D&D world the options for making money will multiply and they did not foresee all of that before 5e. It’s that simple.

AK81

Explorer
I had actually cancelled my dndbeyond subscription earlier this month already, because of the monetization remarks. I have already been down that path with video games, and I'm not interested in micro transactions and loot boxes in my DnD.

Suffice it to say that their OGL plans put another nail in my interest for future WotC products. I can probably be convinced to check out OneDnD if it looks good, they don't go the micro transaction route, and they go back to OGL 1.0a or Paizo's ORC.

But until then I will either play A5E, pathfinder 2e or Savage Worlds

WoTC may decide to move to a more aggressive release strategy with One D&D. Which may be necessary with less 3rd part support.

I don’t have any interest in DNDBeyond. I don’t think micro transactions is their goal as much as it is the revolving monthly subscription. Regular, dependable revenue is the white whale.

I had actually cancelled my dndbeyond subscription earlier this month already, because of the monetization remarks. I have already been down that path with video games, and I'm not interested in micro transactions and loot boxes in my DnD.

Suffice it to say that their OGL plans put another nail in my interest for future WotC products. I can probably be convinced to check out OneDnD if it looks good, they don't go the micro transaction route, and they go back to OGL 1.0a or Paizo's ORC.

But until then I will either play A5E, pathfinder 2e or Savage Worlds

5e had microtransactions for several years now. But the good kind. You can't pay more than the price of a book.

DmsGuild is not affected by the OGL, it's a separate license. Not sure why they would be affected one way or another.
It's the boycotters threatening the creators on DMsGuild, not the potential OGL change; sales are dropping for creators atm already.

It's like throwing out the baby with the bathwater - unnecessarily hurting small developers.

DND Beyond, Toys, cards, 1st-party stuff --- DMsGuild creators could be spared from the boycotting and it would still be more than enough to get the attention of Hasbro overlords wondering what the leadership execs at WotC are doing to the subsidiary's quota.

It's neither realistic nor logical to tank WotC to the ground or destroy the DnD brand. The objective should be to pressure the WotC execs to acknowledge and cement OGL 1.0a as irrevocable, which may require getting the top execs at WotC in hot water with the Hasbro overlords who have the power to fire and replace the top execs at WotC. It very arguably does not require boycotting the DMsGuild community creators as the DMsGuild creator community is nowhere near the largest source of income for WotC.

Nadan

Explorer
WoTC may decide to move to a more aggressive release strategy with One D&D. Which may be necessary with less 3rd part support.

I don’t have any interest in DNDBeyond. I don’t think micro transactions is their goal as much as it is the revolving monthly subscription. Regular, dependable revenue is the white whale.
I expect the most likely microtransaction is from the in-house VTT. Due to it being a 3D one you have to build 3D models for each creature and terrain, instead find a pic and done for 2D VTT.
If those executives still have some brain cell inside (not very likely) they might open a "community market"
let people sell their model and take a cut from it.

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
I plan to plan when it is worth planning.

Right now I have enough 5E material to run it for quite a while without spending another dime on WotC product. I plan to finish my current campaigns in 5E rules (most likely). When I next go to run a new campaign, I'll evaluate the options available then - rather than now - and make a decision on what to run at that time.

I'm all for making my opinion on the current OGL issue known - but planning what I will do next is way premature for me.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I have a custom dungeon I made 24 squared feet plus. Hundreds of minis in a lit display case and 12-15 5e books. I play on average 1.5 times a month (sadly not enough).

I have not scratched the surface really. Unless I disliked the game or just had to have the new books to be fashionable, there is no reason to plan anything except the next adventure.

Books since Tasha’s have been so far away from what I want. The direction and art direction is leaving me cold. I want more retro, not less.

Cat people with laser tails are not for me. Media seems more like soap operas than a wargame derivative with story. I am a fossil. Probably have gone as far as I will.

And I really hate the moralizing stuff. Keep the game from anti inclusive content? Screw your former partners to make sure they are not buttholes? For real? What is that supposed to mean? You’re like the borg. The borg of money and it’s ok. But get off my lawn, take your Sunday school teachers with you and let me play with my pals in the basement, cold beer in hand and evil heavy metal in the background.

I am almost glad to have to buy less. I do want and orcus mini to complete my demons, I admit.

Remove ads