• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sticking with D&D?

I'm in four different 5e campaigns. Two as player, two as DM. All four will be sticking with 5e for the moment, though at least one group will move on to try out another system in a few months. (I'm championing DCC.)

Our feeling is: some of us were playing D&D long before WotC was around. D&D is our game. Not theirs.

But every single member of all four groups is so enraged right now that I can't imagine any of us ever giving WotC another dime unless they earn us back.

Stormonu

Legend
Why would I give it up? I still have the books, dice, minis and whatnot.

The only thing that might change is that I no longer buy product from WotC. Though, at this point that is still debatable.

Dausuul

Legend
I wonder how many people plan to stick with D&D. Seems like it would be an unpopular thing to say on these boards right now. I haven’t made any final decisions but probably will or as I have said I may just take a hiatus from gaming for a while. I am was very mad at WoTC but find that has really turned into apathy at this point. I also find myself moving on from creators I follow as they switch to other systems or because I cannot handle their general level of rage (DMDave).
My group rotates GMs. When it's my turn, I'm going to pitch them on some other system -- leaning toward Dungeon World at the moment. I think they'll be up for giving it a shot.

When it's not my turn, I'll play whatever the GM wants to run. If that's 5E, cool; I'm well supplied with 5E books and it's not like I need DDB to create characters. As for 1D&D, it's a couple years before I have to make any decisions there.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I’ve always played multiple systems and always will.

I was planning a Dragonlance campaign when the news broke. That’s gone away. My long-time D&D group is about to start playing Dungeon Crawl Classics.

My interests are taking me toward Deadlands SWADE, WEG Star Wars d6, Classic Traveller, Atomic Robo RPG, and Masks: A New Generation. We’ll see which snowballs first.

Clint_L

Hero
Our feeling is: some of us were playing D&D long before WotC was around. D&D is our game. Not theirs.
This is my feeling as well (I mean, legally it's theirs, but I understand and share your sentiment).

I am heavily invested in this game. I have decades in it. I have a lot of money in it, not to mention my time and effort. I play a ton of different games, but D&D has been a constant since I was a kid.

And I'm supposed to walk away from that because they acted stupid and got beat down? Switching to, say, Pathfinder would cost me a lot of money and time, just to play a version of D&D from a different company, when I already own the version of D&D that I prefer. So why would I do that? To virtue signal? To whom? No one would care. I'd be doing it for nothing. And then when the guys at Paizo screw up, do I do it all over again? And with the next game?

I have plenty of good reasons to play D&D that far outweigh the game's current ownership behaving badly for a few weeks.

You think many creators are still going to want to publish content through there? I sure wouldn’t.

There's a lot of content, particularly setting-related books, that can't be published elsewhere but DMsGuild, and the creators contractually can not move their products from DMsGuild to another site. A lot of projects that haven't been published yet likely can't be published elsewhere but DMsGuild. Telling a writer they should give up on something they've been working on for months to years because of a decision made by some marketing/business/legal executive, is frankly a slap in the face, especially when not everything needs to be boycotted to hit the bottom line hard enough for response (DnD Beyond, toys, and 1st-party stuff are more than enough).

Larnievc

Hero
I wonder how many people plan to stick with D&D. Seems like it would be an unpopular thing to say on these boards right now. I haven’t made any final decisions but probably will or as I have said I may just take a hiatus from gaming for a while. I am was very mad at WoTC but find that has really turned into apathy at this point. I also find myself moving on from creators I follow as they switch to other systems or because I cannot handle their general level of rage (DMDave).
I’m sticking with D&D, but I don’t have a D&D Beyond sub. It’s all books or A5E pdfs at my table. This whole OGL thing is a real mess but I haven’t bought a book since A5E.

Remove ads