stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. I [OOC]

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I think I'm going to stick with rogue3/cleric2/stalker1 because the stalker gives me +1 caster level for spells, which means I'll start the campaign with second level spells. If I did favored soul, I wouldn't get second level spells until my 3rd stalker level (giving me a 4th caster level).

I guess I'm the only skill-based character, so it looks like I'll have to take open lock/disable device after all. Didn't really want to have to do that, since I'm hitting a pretty bad case of too many required good ability scores. Dex/Wis/Cha for basic rogue/cleric... Int now if I need extra skill points for open lock/disable device/search... and Str/Con since it looks like I'll be getting into melee quite a bit. Oy.

Mayhaps many of my magic items or 2nd-level spells will be stat-raising ones.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
DEFCON 1 said:
I guess I'm the only skill-based character, so it looks like I'll have to take open lock/disable device after all. Didn't really want to have to do that, since I'm hitting a pretty bad case of too many required good ability scores. Dex/Wis/Cha for basic rogue/cleric... Int now if I need extra skill points for open lock/disable device/search... and Str/Con since it looks like I'll be getting into melee quite a bit. Oy.
Recall you can take 20 on two of those skills most of the time (Search/Open) and with appropriate thieve's tools, you can get some decent bonuses as well. Find traps (Clr 2) can also help.

stonegod

Another note: Let me know if anyone plans to take Leadership. I'll let you know right now that only the cohort will be on the adventure---anyone else stays home.

Doomhawk

First Post
stonegod said:
Doomhawk I love the Vol twist here. Strictly speaking, if Selase is LG, then she cannot rebuke undead, only turn them. If you chose to rebuke instead (which I'll give you as an option being a devotee of Vol), you'll lose the ability to spontaneously cast cure spells, which might hurt things.

I wasn't sure how to handle that; my idea was that Selase would have originally been LN, and as a follower of Vol, channeled negative energy, and then retained the ability even though she became LG. Healing would be handled with a combination of the Spontaneous Healer feat, and Craft Wand or Scribe Scroll. If you'd rather just have me channel positive energy, I'm fine with that.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
stonegod said:
Recall you can take 20 on two of those skills most of the time (Search/Open) and with appropriate thieve's tools, you can get some decent bonuses as well. Find traps (Clr 2) can also help.
Good point. And on another note... I do not intend on taking Leadership.

Since you didn't mention it at the top of the thread... I'm assuming standard feat acquisition, correct? Character level feats at 1st, 3rd, & 6th... then any other feats acquired through race and/or class abilities?

stonegod

Doomhawk said:
I wasn't sure how to handle that; my idea was that Selase would have originally been LN, and as a follower of Vol, channeled negative energy, and then retained the ability even though she became LG. Healing would be handled with a combination of the Spontaneous Healer feat, and Craft Wand or Scribe Scroll. If you'd rather just have me channel positive energy, I'm fine with that.
I like the idea of a LG negative energy channeler---it fits w/ the ambiguity of Eberron. So, if you channel neg. energy (thus rebuke and spontaneously inflict unless you take the Domain Spontaneity class feature from the PHBII), that's fine by me.

stonegod

DEFCON 1 said:
Since you didn't mention it at the top of the thread... I'm assuming standard feat acquisition, correct? Character level feats at 1st, 3rd, & 6th... then any other feats acquired through race and/or class abilities?
That is indeed the acquisition rate.

drothgery

First Post
DEFCON 1 said:
I guess I'm the only skill-based character, so it looks like I'll have to take open lock/disable device after all. Didn't really want to have to do that, since I'm hitting a pretty bad case of too many required good ability scores.

(somehow didn't notice this thread yesterday)

I'm not exactly sure how Daellin will look when I'm done with him, but he should be pretty good as far as skills go; I'm still thinking pure Ranger/Cyran Avenger for him. Rangers do get 6 skill points/level now, and he'll probably have an Int bonus.

As a combantant, he's going to be a little overspecialized against undead (his big-ticket magic item will be an undead bane longbow, and they're his +4 favored enemy; the +2 will be humans, out of experience fighting them rather than any sort of vendetta).

stonegod

drothgery said:
I'm not exactly sure how Daellin will look when I'm done with him, but he should be pretty good as far as skills go; I'm still thinking pure Ranger/Cyran Avenger for him. Rangers do get 6 skill points/level now, and he'll probably have an Int bonus.
But Disable Device and Open Locks are not class skills for the ranger, which is DEFCON's issue, methinks.

Remove ads