• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

stop sleight of hand pickpocketing?

newrange

First Post
Well, actually, as an actor, your job is to perform a script which somebody else has given to you. If you show up on set, or on stage, and say, "nope, sorry, my character wouldn't do this," you are not doing your job right.

This is exactly my point. Saying that my character "wouldn't" secretly pocket unclaimed items would be completely denying everything that makes him who he is as a character. It doesn't matter what the other actors think; my character is a thief, and their characters have no idea that he is pocketing stuff.

Last edited:

Mishihari Lord

First Post
The most important thing in this situation is to understand the social contract at the table. At some tables, it's "we're all heroes, we will cooperate and be nice to each other." In this situation making a character that will act against this norm is a jerk move. Yes, you should roleplay your character. But it's also your responsibility to create a character that won't detract from the fun of the group in the first place. You don't get to duck responsibility by saying "it's what my PC would do" because at character creation you decided what the personality would be. In other groups, of course, antagonistic behavior is acceptable. Know your group. If you don't it's easy to make the other players angry and get yourself uninvited from game night.

D'karr

Adventurer
And acting in character it would not be the last time the barbarian decides to cleave your character from shoulder to groin for stealing from him. That is also in character.

Remove ads