• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Strahd (From Ravenloft) as an Epic Level Villain...any ideas?

Albert_Fish

First Post
I am running "House of Strahd" as an Epic Level D20 campaign this coming weekend.
The characters are all going to be Level 28 Equivalent (accouting for Half-dragons, Aasimar and the like).

This is my first Epic level adventure and the First time i have tried to convert anything from 2nd Edition to 3E.

Here is what i have so far
Elven/Half Fiend ( just for the extra free bumps to stats and Evil factor)

Monk 1 (for the AC bonus from Wisdom...but it is only a +3)
Necromancer 15
Lifedrinker 10 (from some Dragon Mag. but also in THE BOOK OF VILE DARKNESS)

STR 23 +6
DEX 22 +6
CON -- --
INT 25 +7
WIS 17 +7
CHR 26 +7

AC 25 +6, +1 natural armour +5 Dexterity +3 Monk

Att: Slam/Claw 19/14 Bite ?
Dam Slam/claw1d8 +6 +special, Bite 1d6+3 +special

Move 40'

Ok, Strahd is classified in the old Adventure/Ravenloft supplements as an Ancient Vampire. i know that gives him extra powers but how does that translate to 3E?

This means he has a higher DR than most vampires, Spell resistance and takes less damage from sunlight.
What does this mean for spells like Searing Light (vs Undead)

I boosted his speed for fun and some of his stats for fun was well. The monk is totally optional and just a a cheap way to boost his AC.

Is he too powerful? Am i forgetting anything? he will have magical items in the final edit of his character sheet so dont worry too much about that.

Kale78

First Post
Ok first off I think I would drop monk, I'm not a Strahd expert but from what I recall it doesn't really fit his character, he was more of a fighter, and I don't think 3 points of AC is worth it.
Use the following template (Ancient Vampire) for Strahd:

Str: +8
Dex: +8
Int: +4
Wis: +6
Cha: +6
Speed: +20
DR: 25/+2
Fast Heal: 6
Turn Resist: +7
AC: +8
CR +4

I would give him a few fighter levels as it more accurately reflects his fighter background, maybe 5-10, then pick up your Necro and Lifedrinker.

Hope that helps!

Mr Fidgit

First Post
some thoughts...

1) you could create an 'ancient vampire' template to use for Strahd, instead of the MM vampire

you could include a spell resistance, but you should adjust it to the chances you want your PCs to have to affect him. a SR of 10+HD would give a 28th level PC a 65% chance to affect Strahd, if the PC did not have spell penetration or greater spell penetration. 15+HD would be 40%.

if the PCs do have spell penetration and greater spell penetration, you could give the template a SR of HD times 2 (15% chance to be affected...)

this would take care of spells like searing light which doesn't allow saves, but is affected by SR

2) a vampire's blood drain requires a grapple check, not an attack roll, so you don't need to put it Strahd's 'normal' attacks (with a BAB, etc.) and his slam attack should 1d6 (for a level 1 monk, or medium-size vampire)

3) in regards to your other thread, i'd allow the Windrider to have a dragon of a higher hit die. you should check the ELH for examples of dragon as epic cohorts

[edit - that's what i get for starting a reply and walking away from the computer! another 'ancient vampire' template. i'd still include the SR, though]

Last edited:

Kale78

First Post
I agree with MrFidgit, spell resistance would probably be good.
And I forgot to give credit, the Ancient Vampire i gave is from Sword & Sorcery's Ravenloft D20 Campaign Setting, they converted Van Richten's Guide to Vampires (one of the best monster books ever) and used his advancement tables for better vampires.

Last edited:

Albert_Fish

First Post
Thnak you both for you advice and for actually posting froma book rather than telling me to buy the book for a one shot adventure.
You were both very helpful, especially with SR seeing as i have no idea how 3E SR correlates to 2nd Edition Spell Resistance.

if anyone else has any advice feel free to post it...

oh and thanks for the dragon cohort tips...i suppose i should read teh Epic book a bit better before i run the adventure, eh?

Mr Fidgit

First Post
i think it was magic resistance divided by 5 equals Spell Resistance, but i'm not sure

basing SR on strahd's original magic resistance obviously won't work with an epic level game

Relic

First Post
Strahd, as published in 3E, also has 4 levels of fighter to represent his time when he was a general. And he has a bat as a familiar (a dread bat I think but I do not recall exactly).

Endur

First Post
Strahd suggestions

Strahd had fighter levels. LifeDrinker is a good prestige class for him. He also had wizard levels (necromancy).

WOTC has an improved vampire template on their site somewhere (master vampire, or ancient vampire, or something like that).

Also, if you are using Ravenloft, Strahd is the lord of his domain. And he has vast powers in his domain. You could give him Divine Rank 1 from Deities and Demigods; in his domain, he is essentially a DemiGod. And he is the only God that has any power in his domain, clerics of other Gods do not receive spells in his domain (and they can't turn undead either).

Tom

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads