Straight Talk from Gene Weigel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
GENEWEIGEL said:
Well one can also say, "Here we go with the "my world's best" diatribes!"

Uhm I don't believe I SAID that or even implied that. I said "I have my world and that's fine by me." That doesn't mean I'm denigrating Greyhawk. That just means I'm happy with what I got. You on the hand just denigrated both FR and in passing, my enjoyment for Scarred Lands. I was also saying if you WANT that "lost style" of adventure, DO it yourself. There's the d20 system, all lined up for use. If you want that kind of world so bad, make it.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Psion said:
As the saying goes "You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time..."

Y'know what. I want Planescape back just like you want "old school" greyhawk back. But in either case, it's not to likely to happen. But you can't always get what you want, eh?

But life goes on. I press on without official support and without feigning the need to get approval from internet forum posters I don't even know. I recommend you do the same.

Not to mention Psion, you are the kind of guy to LISTEN and not overreact when someone say "I don't care that much for Old School Greyhawk."

btw Hal, I don't know if there's anything yet about Pied Piper Industries...but I'll take ANYTHING you and Doug make over the stuff RJK made, considering the stuff I sloughed through in Dark Druids. But then you already knew that. :)

GENEWEIGEL

Explorer
Psion said:
As the saying goes "You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time..."

Y'know what. I want Planescape back just like you want "old school" greyhawk back. But in either case, it's not to likely to happen. But you can't always get what you want, eh?

But life goes on. I press on without official support and without feigning the need to get approval from internet forum posters I don't even know. I recommend you do the same.

I always knew you were one of those "guvnors".

Everybody knows Planescape died because it made the afterlife into an ordinary mundane existence all wrapped up with very unD&D like style and dialogue.

How long could that possibly last?

It's borderline downright LARP-ish!

(Shudder)

;)

Psion, I need your approval now! ;)

GENEWEIGEL

Explorer
THG Hal said:

I understand the fact of feeling upset, you have said your piece, but stop slamming and start promoting PP's CoB. What is soooooo cool about it that we must have it!

Ok, go for it!

My opinion-not a MEG post!

Alright, I'm done with the soapbox.

Actually, I have no clue what City of Brass is like.

Except for this which everybody has probably seen already:

To the City of Brass

;)

I'm working on a sourcebook and I can't say jack squat about it until it's finished.

But I've put quite a lot into it and you better buy it Psion or I'm coming to your house!

;) Just kidding!

GENEWEIGEL said:

I always knew you were one of those "guvnors".

Everybody knows Planescape died because it made the afterlife into an ordinary mundane existence all wrapped up with very unD&D like style and dialogue.

How long could that possibly last?

It's borderline downright LARP-ish!

(Shudder)

;)

Psion, I need your approval now! ;)

I am begining to suspect you may be an "Arcanoloth".

Everyone knows Planescape produced soo many sourcebooks because they lifted the veil on the afterlife and created so many unique and challenging new environments to explore.

It lasted long enough to get $400+ from me.

Planescape is borderline Epic!

( CoB isn't extra-planar is IT? )

:eek:

Psion, I'm truly a BIG fan! :D

Grazzt

Demon Lord
GENEWEIGEL said:

Everyone that I know is quite tired of the Elminster world. And the Elminster style. And the Elminster this and the Elminster that.

What's it been? 25 years of Elminster products?

Compare that to a little more than ten years of original products.

Nothing personal, but you must not know too many people then. As much as I dislike the Realms, it still outsells everything else combined....even after "25 years."

EDIT: And this gets moved to General as it really doesn't belong in the Publishers' Forum.

Last edited:

MEG Hal

First Post
GENEWEIGEL said:

Alright, I'm done with the soapbox.

Actually, I have no clue what City of Brass is like.

Except for this which everybody has probably seen already:

To the City of Brass

;)

Gene
No flames here just curious... you have no idea what PP CoB is about and pointed me to the RPGA version of CoB not PP's how do you have all of this insight into what happened with the CoB issues? I am confused I was under the impression you worked for PP or was a part owner or someone with vested interest?

Help me understand please.
Thanks

Lucifer

First Post
GENEWEIGEL said:

I'm sick and tired of things get the "shaft" by anti-fans is all.

What about the Kuntz fans that play 3e? His message boards are very anti-3e and you can see it in his posts. Aren't his fans, the ones that play 3e (yes there are some that do), getting the "shaft" by Rob?

And speaking of that, isn't PPP a d20 company? If so, how do you plan to produce quality products for a system you don't even like. (And yes, I have seen your posts on Dragonsfoot regarding 3e as well.)

Now some may say that certain folks aren't anti-fans well let me ask you something, how are the current maneuvers going to help the fans?

They're not. They're all self serving and haven't considered anything except the promotion of one person's vanity.

When that "one person" is caught in a lie everyone goes to blame the person wronged who exposed the lie for poor taste and unprofessionalism due to their need to justify their previous associations with that "one person".

But you are not here again to stir up controversy right? Yet- you make veiled references to "that topic" again. C'mon now, let's be honest and realistic here.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Why must we feel the need to bash campaign worlds at all?

Classic Greyhawk is one model of a campaign world. It is valid, it was tried, tested, had many followers, and is generally considered a good thing.

The same can be said for the Forgotten Realms. The whole thing can't be summed up as Elminster's world. Just because Ed speaks of his world through Elminster, that doesn't mean that he is the only character there. Personally I like the Forgotten Realms because it has so much going on, so many places to visit, and it continues to evolve. Some of the things they made for Forgotten Realms were really quite good while admittedly, some of it wasn't. Fine.

The Scarred lands is a darn good setting too. It's a darker setting for sure, but what I really like about it is that it takes the familliar into new and different directions.

Personally the only things I didn't like about Planescape (and I know I'm going to get lynched for saying this) was the art and the odd dialiect.

Personally, I applaud the way WotC has handled all their campaign worlds in 3rd edition. Greyhawk is setting neutral, so it isn't like it received 0 support like it did through most of 2nd edition. Forgotten Realms has had only a handfull of products as opposed to every other book being released as Forgotten Realms.

I guess the bottom line is that if X setting gets people to play and enjoy the game, how is that a bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases