• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Strength Paladin Build suboptimal?

markl

First Post
Yeah, about level 9 ...

You could swap in a level 1 or level 5 daily, if only there were more than one Str-based power at those levels.

Crown of Glory is still pretty useful, though, being a close burst 1, sustainable slow effect that happens to have some incidental initial damage attached if your Cha is high enough.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Page number? Sure. Let's go with 52.

"An armor or weapon proficiency you gain from a class counts as the appropriate Armor Proficiency or Weapon Proficiency feat (see Chapter 6)."

It counts as the feat and then directs you to go read up on Chapter 6 (Feats) for more info.

I'm not saying I like it, and I'm not saying I wouldn't change it, but it is exactly how it is written.

"Counts as" not "is a". Class features that mimic feats are not the feats themselves. But they do count as those feats so you qualify for other feats with that feat as a prerequisite. Even the FAQ says you don't loose access to your class abilities if your ability is lower.

My DBorn (DM run NPC for numbers) Pal is STR based so she is not the most charming in the group ..also thick as a post! Anyway i will def be mc'ing to Ftr to swap out some powers cos of no Str based powers at some levels. But is all good as she is a Pal of Kord.
But yes overall Cha trumps Cha IMO but wait a year or 2 til I am level 30 and then I can get a bit more definitive:)

"Counts as" not "is a". Class features that mimic feats are not the feats themselves. But they do count as those feats so you qualify for other feats with that feat as a prerequisite. Even the FAQ says you don't loose access to your class abilities if your ability is lower.
Yeah this is specifically covered in the FAQ you do not need the appropriate STR or CON for Armour profs.
Page number? Sure. Let's go with 52.
From the FAQ, i.e. official errata and/or clarification (not rubbish inconsistant answer from CustServ!)
FAQ said:
1. Can a Fighter with a 12 Constitution still use scale armor?

The Armor Proficiency (Scale) feat requires a 13 Constitution, but all fighters gain proficiency with scale armor for free (regardless of the prerequisites).

Last edited:

Danceofmasks

First Post
@level 9

I'd recommend Crown of Glory, then switch it out at 10th with a MC power-swap feat.
Divine Power is nice, but it seems some folks are reluctant to MC cleric due to losing out on a trained skill.

Arbitrary

First Post
Tracking down the FAQ was a little more effort than it should have been given the information in it but their wording is indeed unintended and those feats are not supposed to turn off.

From those still correcting me allow me to quote myself from quite a bit earlier.

Good job dissecting my post though mach.

Eldorian

First Post
There are even several levels where there is only one or even no Strength based power choices.

This is the greatest issue I could see.

Has anyone else looked at the Pally suite of powers closely and find it to favor the Charisma build or am I missing some important balancing detail? What would make a great Pally STR build? Multiclassing?

I've thought about mutliclassing cleric and using cleric str and wis powers to fill in the gaps.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads