D&D 5E Strixhaven Pre-Order Details

More details of Strixhaven Curriculum of Chaos have emerged on D&D Beyond. Owlin are in, and there is a built-in 1-10 campaign composed of four separate adventures, each spanning a single school year, and taking the PCs from first-year students through to graduation. THE SCHOOL OF MAGIC IS IN SESSION The greatest minds in the multiverse meet at Strixhaven University. Professors convey...

More details of Strixhaven Curriculum of Chaos have emerged on D&D Beyond. Owlin are in, and there is a built-in 1-10 campaign composed of four separate adventures, each spanning a single school year, and taking the PCs from first-year students through to graduation.

637587668398315568.jpeg

THE SCHOOL OF MAGIC IS IN SESSION

The greatest minds in the multiverse meet at Strixhaven University. Professors convey fantastic secrets to eager students, and life on campus is frenetic. But danger lurks even here. Campus hijinks mix with mishaps and sinister plots, and it’s up to you to save the day.

Strixhaven™: A Curriculum of Chaos introduces the fantastical setting of Strixhaven University, drawn from the multiverse of MAGIC: THE GATHERING, and provides rules for creating characters who are students in one of its five colleges. Characters can explore the setting over the course of four adventures, which can be played together or on their own. Each adventure describes an academic year filled with scholarly pursuits, campus shenanigans, exciting friendships, hidden dangers, and perhaps even romance. This book includes a poster map that shows Strixhaven’s campuses on one side and location maps on the other.
  • New player character options including feats and a new background in the Character Builder
  • Includes new spells and magical items to use in your campaigns
  • Play through the book’s multiyear campaign, beginning as first-year students who study, socialize, and adventure their way to graduation.
  • Includes four adventures that can be played as stand-alones or woven together to create one campaign taking players from level 1 to level 10.
  • Encounter over forty magical, mysterious creatures and NPCs in the bestiary to battle in the Encounter builder and Combat tracker
  • Create new characters with the new player race, the owlin, one of the owlfolk who study at the university in the character builder
  • Experience Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering in new ways through the academic challenges, extracurricular activities and jobs, and relationships explored on campus.
  • Strixhaven can easily be dropped into any D&D world or campaign with the provided rules for adventuring as a student of magic.

This purchase unlocks the contents of this adventure for use with D&D Beyond, including the book in digital format in the game compendium and access options from the book in the searchable listings, encounter builder, character builder, and digital character sheet.

Weiley31

Legend
You just have to do it all through a lens of D&D-isms. When someone spikes the punch it's with an unstable mutagenic elixir
So a rogue Order of The Mutant Blood Hunter that's gone bonkers. Sounds like a pretty neat situation that would cause a bunch of probs at a party.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I did not expect a level 1-10 campaign (this will be my first MTG setting book I purchase), and I'm delighted. I can definitely see running a Strixhaven side campaign, especially once the DMs Guild fills up with all sorts of optional add-ons like diplomas, curricula, flyers posted on campus, etc.

I think they might be folding the subclasses into the "player options" but are just giving themselves some wiggle room while they work on them and possibly (but not definitely) drop them.
Yeah, previous Magic Settings just had a Level 1 introductory Module, so a 1-10 campaign is a definite escalation. Hopefully there is still the Adventure generation material from prior Setting books to help flesh out the Adventures.

Nathaniel Lee

Adventurer
So it looks like, as expected, only the owlfolk races from the UA Feywild races made it in here, and two others made it into the adventure book... but I didn't see mention of the fey goblin race (unless I missed something somewhere?)... did they end up just getting dropped?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So it looks like, as expected, only the owlfolk races from the UA Feywild races made it in here, and two others made it into the adventure book... but I didn't see mention of the fey goblin race (unless I missed something somewhere?)... did they end up just getting dropped?
They said to the press that they would appear in a different, future book.

I'm a bit sad to see the subclasses go - only the Lorehold one really spoke to me personally (I'd play a Lorehold wizard tomorrow), but i did like the idea of subclasses usable by multiple classes. But the 5 subclasses was going to be a fairly big page investment. Maybe the idea will return in a future product.

The news about the adventures is making me a little less enthusiastic about the book to be honest. One of my biggest dislikes in a setting book is wasting page count on adventures (20 pages in Van Richten's Guide, for instance, blown on a single haunted house when there were entire domains that were dismissed with a paragraph or two, and they copped out on doing anything useful with the deities at all), and this seems to be more profligate than most. Is it an adventure path, or a setting, or something in between? I'm not DMing right now so i won't buy an adventure because i don't want to spoil myself on something i might end up playing. But a setting book that's half-adventure? We'll have to wait for the table of contents to come out to have more clarity, I guess.

I'm a bit sad to see the subclasses go - only the Lorehold one really spoke to me personally (I'd play a Lorehold wizard tomorrow), but i did like the idea of subclasses usable by multiple classes. But the 5 subclasses was going to be a fairly big page investment. Maybe the idea will return in a future product.

The news about the adventures is making me a little less enthusiastic about the book to be honest. One of my biggest dislikes in a setting book is wasting page count on adventures (20 pages in Van Richten's Guide, for instance, blown on a single haunted house when there were entire domains that were dismissed with a paragraph or two, and they copped out on doing anything useful with the deities at all), and this seems to be more profligate than most. Is it an adventure path, or a setting, or something in between? I'm not DMing right now so i won't buy an adventure because i don't want to spoil myself on something i might end up playing. But a setting book that's half-adventure? We'll have to wait for the table of contents to come out to have more clarity, I guess.
Witchlight was marketed as an adventure from the very beginning. I'm honestly surprised we're getting this many character options and setting info in an adventure book.

Remove ads

Remove ads