Struggling with spell lists!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
While the secrets nomenclature is still in flux, my inclination (as you hinted at earlier) is to include the actions you used as well as elements. Right now, I'm torn between requiring a character to know one of the secrets, or all of them. All of them makes really broad path harder to access, but that may be a good thing: it will encourage focus, but without requiring it.

As an aside - this is incredibly useful! I've actually seen very few player made spells, and the side effect of you writing these paths is that it automatically incorporates an infodump of lots of them - which I can look at and identify weaknesses in the EoM system.

I think if you require all the secrets, it will be much harder to develop paths that are useful. Even with the 4 paths done so far I have struggled with sticking to just the two selected secrets as the core elements. The more interesting spells tend to be the combination of 3 or more spell lists, The 'Suffocating Aura' is a Create Air III/Create Void I/Create Mist I/Gen III spell, and thematically is based on how wind can literally take your breath away.

Of course, having one spell use Create Void doesn't mean that the caster has to have that secret, but I think if the element is in over half the spells listed it should be included. Since I am building for an NPC right now I am not too worried about that aspect and I have a couple more lists to go for him!

But time to go be a productive member of society.. so no more spell paths for today :(

One more!
Path of Speed {Move said:
0 - Sprint
Gain +2 to your base speed for 1 minute

1 - Float the Boat
For 10 minutes ignore any penalties from weight while swimming.

2 - Quickened Feather Fall
As a free action when falling, reduce your rate of fall to 60' per round until you land.

3 - Feather Step
Gain +4 to your base speed and you can walk on liquid as if it was solid ground for 1 minute

4 - Long Stride
Gain +4 to your base speed for 1 hour.

5 - Haste
Gain an additional action each turn for 1 minute

6 - Cloud Step
You can walk on air as it where solid, choosing to ascend or descend as if on a 45 degree staircase, for 10 minutes. If you are not on solid ground when this spell expires, you immediately fall to the ground at a rate of 500' in the first round and 1,000' in the second round and any after.

7 - Long Wing
Gain a Flight speed equal to your base speed for 1 hour. You must maintain forward momentum or sink at a rate of 60' per round until you land.

8 - Herme's Wings
Gain +8 to your base speed and a Flight speed equal to your improved base speed for 10 minutes. You must maintain forward momentum or sink at a rate of 60' per round until you land.

9 - Unfettered Step
For 10 minutes you may move and attack normally, even under the effects of magical or mundane effects that impede movement such as paralysis, Compel effects, Move Death effects, Drain Time, grappled, held, pinned or restrained. This spell also allows you to move and attack normally underwater as well as confers the ability to breath underwater.

10 - Eat my Dust
Gain +8 to your base speed for 1 minute. As you move within 10' of creatures you may elect to target them, up to a number of creatures equal to {your LOG attribute}. If they fail a WILL check vs your Magic the are Stilled and unable to move from its spot under its own power until the spell expires.

12 - Mass Overland Haste
Select up to {your LOG attribute} of creatures located within 10' of you. They gain +4 to their base speed for the day. In overland travel, double the number of hexes that can be traversed.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's a bit more than Speed. Lots of flight, too! Perhaps Path of the Longstrider or somesuch? Or what animal can fly and run fast?

Yea, I think LongStrider might be better. I just didn't want to go with a series of 10 spells that were all 'go faster I', 'go faster II', etc..

This next one was hard, the MP cost for contingencies really make doing Symbols difficult without hitting MP in the upper teens. In 3x, all Symbols had a 60' radius area of effect and did nasty stuff, not to mention they were generally permanent, which puts their base MP cost at GEN 13.

Path of Symbols {Abjure said:
0 - Mend Tome
Restore lightly damaged parchment, scrolls, books, or tomes with a touch. Mends 1D of damage.

1 - Mark of the Warrior
Dab war-paint onto the face to grant +1 die to attack rolls for the next hour.

2 - Script Armor
Scribe symbols on your armor to gain +2 Defense for the day

3 - Magic Circle against Evil
Draw a two dimensional bounded figure on the object or creature to be warded. For 10 minutes Evil creatures attempting to move within 10' of the circle must pass a Will check vs your Magic or be stopped in its tracks. The creature that fails this attempt cannot try again for 1 minute, but can attack with ranged weapons or spells. If the warded creature approaches an Evil Creature, that creature must move away.

4 - Alarm
Trace a Symbol on an entryway, the next Person who passes through in the next 24 hours triggers a loud voice stating "Intruder Alert". The Voice repeats itself every couple of rounds until silenced by the caster or 1 minute passes.

5 - Magic Circle against creatures
Draw a two dimensional figure of a beast on an object or creature to be warded. For 1 hour, natural creatures attempting to move within 10' of the circle must pass a Will check vs your Magic or be stopped in its tracks. The creature that fails this attempt cannot try again for 1 minute, but can attack with ranged weapons or spells. If the warded creature approaches a natural creature, that creature must move away.

6 - Sickening Sigil
Draw a Sigil that lies in wait for someone to touch it in the next 24 hours. When touched, the creature must pass an END check vs your Magic or become Nauseated {-3 die penalty to STR and END checks, -2 speed penalty}. Failure results in being Sickened {-1 die penalty to STR and END checks, -1 speed penalty}. This effect lasts for 1 minute

7 - Symbol of Imprisonment
Scribe a Symbol that lasts for 1 hour. The next Person to pass by the Symbol must pass a Will check vs your Magic or become bound in place for 1 hour. Each minute the Person may re-attempt the Will check to become free of the Symbol.

8 - Symbol of Sleep
Scribe a Symbol and define a triggering action to occur within the next 7 days. When that action occurs within 10' of the Symbol all creatures within 10' must pass a Will check vs your Magic or fall to sleep. Sleeping creatures may attempt another Will check at the end of each turn to wake, or may be woken by firm shaking or injury. The sleep lasts 1 minute if not woken earlier.

9 - Symbol of Fear
Scribe a Symbol and define a triggering action to occur within the next 7 days. When that action occurs within 10' of the Symbol all creatures within 10' must pass a Will check vs your Magic or become Frightened {Flees from perceived danger and suffers a -1 penalty on attack rolls, damage rolls, and attribute checks}. If they pass the check by more then 5 points they are unaffected, otherwize they become Shaken {suffers a -1 penalty on attack rolls, damage rolls, and attribute checks}. At the end of each turn the creature may make another Will Check to negate the effects of the Symbol.

10 - Symbol of Insanity
Scribe a Symbol and define a triggering action to occur within the next 7 days. When that action occurs within 10' of the Symbol all creatures within 10' must pass a Will check vs your Magic or become Confused {At the start of each turn roll 1D6 to determine actions taken: 1 - wander aimlesslessly, 2 or 3 - do nothing, 4 or 5 - attack the nearest creature in a fit of rage, 6 - act normally}. This confusion lasts for 1 minute and the targets do not get additional saves, nor do they realize that their behaviour was unusual.

15 - Symbol of Death
Scribe a Symbol and define a triggering action to occur within the next 7 days. When that action occurs within 10' of the Symbol all creatures within 10' must pass an Will check vs your Magic or take 6D6 Death damage. This damage attacks the soul and is not affected by any SOAK except 'Soak Death'

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Another update. Minor changes and clarifications again.

Attachments

• old_rpg_spellpaths.pdf
    7 MB · Views: 90

Please make sure you update the 'Magical Skills' rule to reflect picking a Spell Path instead of a Spell List. The same benefits can apply:

When you have a Magical Skill in a Spell path you may cast spells from that list with an MP total equal to your MAG attribute + the number of ranks in that spell list. Additionally you gain additional Die when rolling your Mag to cast the spell based on the skill.

This should be in both the Spell Path chapter and the Skills chapter

Another!

Path of the QuarterMaster said:
0 - Mending
Your touch restores 1D of Structure to mundane items made from natural materials {wood, fabric, etc..}

1 - Just what I needed
Conjure any small tool made of metal from thin air to use. The tool is obviously magically created and dissipates in 1 minute.

2 - Repair Weaponry
Pass your hand over a pile of worn and damaged metal weapons and/or armor. Restore 1D of Structure to a number of them up to your LOG attribute.

3 - Mystic Lantern
A small glass globe filled with light floats in the air which lights up the 20' radius, with dim light an additional 20'. You can concentrate to have the globe move at a rate of 30' per action.

4 - Laborers Strength
Gain an effective STR score of 20 {5D6} for the purposes of your Carry capacity {920 lbs} and opposed STR checks. This strength slips away in 10 minutes

5 - Create Food and Water
Conjure a workman's meal and pure water, enough to feed about 10 people. Any food not consumed within 10 minutes dissipates into nothing.

6 - Pony Cart
Conjure a pony and cart, ready to help transport heavy items for the day

7 - Tensors Floating Disk
Conjure a 3' diameter disk of force that can hold up to 800lbs. As an action you can concentrate to move the disk up to 10' vertically or 30' horizontally.The disk dissipates after 10 minutes, dropping any items that were on it when the spell expires.

8 - Field Hospital
Fill a small room with comfortable, fresh air and conjure bundles of bandages, gauzes, and 5 cots. You can choose the temperature. The conjured items dissipate after a day.

9 - Repair Breach
Target a section of stone wall within 30', the wall recovers 2D of Structure each round for one minute (10 rounds)

10 - Move Earth
Target up to 16 Cubic Yards of earth within 100' to move. As an action you can concentrate to move the mass of dirt up to 10' vertically or 30' horizontally. After dumping the dirt somewhere you can grab another mass of earth. The spell expires in 10 minutes, all allowing the quick development of earthen berms, bulwarks, and ditches.

Yet another... I would love to hear back on some of these!

Path of the Flame Blade said:
0 - Flame Hand
Your hand is limned with fire for one minute. You can ignite flammable objects by touch and once you can deliver 1d6 Fire damage by touch

1 - Warriors Rush
Gain +4 to your base speed for one minute.

2 - Back off!
Creatures must pass a Will vs your Magic check in order to attack you in melee. If they fail they can only attack you with spells or ranged weapons until the spell ends in one minute.

3 - Warriors Ward
You gain +6 Defense against metal attacks for one minute.

4 - Fire Limned Warrior
Conjure an Chainmail armor (SOAK 8) and a LongSword that are limned with Fire that deals 3d6 Cutting plus 1D6 Fire damage. The armor and weapon dissipate in 10 minutes.

5 - I want to be a hero
Become Heroic for one minute, gaining +2 Die to attacks, damage, and attribute checks. Magical Fear effects are negated.

6 - Martial over Magic
Cloak yourself against magical effects, and set the Spell Difficulty with a Magic Check. The caster of any magical effects on you must make a MAG check against the Spell Difficulty or be dispelled, including your own effects. Permanent enhancements are suppressed. For the next 10 minutes, or until you dispel the effect, any spells against you must first beat the Spell Difficulty.

7 - Flame Mail
Conjure a set of Mastercraft Chain Mail (SOAK 14) that it limned with fire, providing warmth and protection from cold (SOAK 5 COLD). The armor dissipates in 10 minutes.

8 - Flame Blade
Conjure an Artisan LongSword of pure fire that grants +4d to attack and deals 8d6 Fire damage and ignites flammable items on contact, The sword requires a 4 Ranks of Longsword to wield effectively. The sword dissipates in 1 minutes.

9 - Enter the Brawl
Dive into the scrum of battle without fear. Creatures must pass a Will vs your Magic check in order to attack you, if they fail they cannot attack you for the next minute or until you attack them. Additionally, you heal 1D6 per round. Both these effects last 10 minutes.

10 - Battle Glory
Drink in the spirit of the Dervish, for 10 minutes you get an additional action each round and your sword deals +2d damage and ignores SOAK from armor and shields.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I know it says they don't have to have a theme, but I worry that might be causing you to deliberately avoid themes? They seem rather random to me. That's fine (it's a taste thing), but my personal preference is for more tightly themed paths. But eclectic ones don't break any rules.

Did you used to play WEG's d6 system? Star Wars, maybe? You use 1D and 2D a lot, when that's not the nomenclature of this game. :)

I wonder if paths might benefit from a paragraph of description beforehand. That might help communicate theme a bit better.

Remove ads