D&D General Styles of D&D Play

People sometimes claim that Dungeons & Dragons only supports a narrow range of play styles, but that is not my experience. I've seen the D&D rules used to support a variety of games, and as a DM, you should comprehend this versatility and use it to your advantage. Along the way, you should figure out not only your preferred style but also your group's preferences. In this article, I'll explain some of the different styles of play I've encountered.

Hack-and-Slash​

In this popular style of play, the game centers around combat. Characters battle one monster after another, with little thought given to the non-martial elements of the game. It's thrilling for players who love battle scenes and immediate action, and this style is often where younger players begin with D&D. However, it can become monotonous over time, and most experienced players seek deeper experiences.

Problem-Solving​

This style of play is aimed squarely at the thinkers. It encourages players to employ problem-solving skills to overcome various intellectual challenges. These could include things such as mysteries, logic puzzles, and riddles. Problem-solving can also include circumventing lethal traps, neutralizing weird tricks, and locating valuable items or important places. One standard framing device is the so-called "funhouse" dungeon, full of puzzles and tricks.

Character Driven​

Here, the social or role-playing aspects of the game are at the forefront. Players immerse themselves in their characters, prioritizing character development over killing monsters, gaining loot, and leveling up. Many sessions can pass in such games without a sword drawn or a blow struck. Players often devise dramatic arcs for their characters and spend the sessions progressing this arc by interacting with each other and various NPCs.

Historical Simulation​

This style focuses on recreating specific historical periods, often with minimal supernatural elements. Players might experience medieval England, ancient Rome, or even World War II! The session's goal is often to experience a critical historical moment, such as the assassination of Caesar or the D-Day landings. This style, though rare in my experience, is enjoyed by those already steeped in the history of an era. I've also seen it used in educational settings.

Slapstick​

This style of play is light-hearted and humorous, filled with anachronisms, satire, and dreadful puns. It features bizarre scenarios and characters that often parody contemporary culture. While enjoyable in short bursts, this style can soon overstay its welcome.

Monty Haul​

In a Monty Haul game, characters receive vast amounts of loot or levels with little correlation of risk to reward. Characters advance rapidly during these games and soon find themselves capable of facing mighty foes. This style appeals to some players, especially those with limited time and a desire to experience the game's higher levels. However, such easy advancement can cheapen the gaming experience, and "Monty Haul" has historically been used as a term of derision.

Tactical​

This style is about employing optimal strategy and tactics within a well-defined rules framework. Players who favor this type of play often spend much time optimizing their character builds, and games consist of a series of set-piece battles. Tactical games are similar to hack-and-slash games, but differ in their focus on rules mastery.

Political​

This game style involves players in political intrigue and power struggles. Scenarios can range from momentous events, such as negotiating treaties between empires, to minor conflicts, like settling disagreements between market vendors. Characters spend sessions interacting with NPCs, researching background information, and devising ways to create leverage in negotiations.

Mixing It Up​

It is standard practice to borrow elements from multiple styles for your game, using variety to maintain interest and keep things fresh. For example, the best classic dungeon crawls contain hack-and-slash, problem-solving, and even political elements (such as negotiations between dungeon factions). Even when the group prefers a play style, it is a good idea to switch things up with a different style occasionally. For example, after your tactical group completes a long adventure involving numerous set-piece battles, you might have a session featuring a banquet and focused purely on character development.

It's even possible to include some of the more eclectic play styles in an otherwise straight campaign. For example, Zart, the god of tricks, might transport the characters to a slapstick cartoon-inspired world, where they take on the role of Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck and compete in the Looney Tunes Olympics. Or perhaps they pass through a magic portal and find themselves a historical situation, helping 300 Spartans defend Macedonia against a massive Persian army.

Each style has its unique charm and challenges. As a DM, you should strive to understand and use these different types of play to ensure a fulfilling and enjoyable gaming experience for all players.

Over to you. Do you agree with these classifications? Are there any I've missed?

This article was inspired by an essay by Jennell Jaquays, and was originally published on my blog.

Hussar

Legend
I strongly disagree with you here. Most of the things you've listed aren't actually supported by D&D. At best they're freeform which is system independent.

For example:

1. Problem Solving - D&D actively works against this. The magic system allows the players to bypass so many problems without actually taking any time to directly try to solve a problem. Why bother working out the combination lock on that lost tomb when you can simply use any of fifteen different magic effects to bypass it?

2. Character Driven - very little in D&D actually supports this. The skill system is so basic that it's largely pointless. The system does not reward any character growth at all. Falling in love and getting married, for example, is entirely free-form. Nothing in the system actually supports or rewards this.

3. Political - again, nothing in D&D supports this. Your character wants to win over the population of the town to get elected. What in D&D actually allows you to do this? This is all freeform or ad hoc DM fiat to resolve.

4. Historical Simulation? Seriously? In a game where 30 of the 36 base classes in the PHB all have spells? You'd have to slice out about 4/5ths of the rules just to start doing something like this. My next question would be, why on earth would you even begin to use D&D for this? I couldn't even imagine where you'd start trying to do something like this.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter

Character Driven​

Here, the social or role-playing aspects of the game are at the forefront. Players immerse themselves in their characters, prioritizing character development over killing monsters, gaining loot, and leveling up. Many sessions can pass in such games without a sword drawn or a blow struck. Players often devise dramatic arcs for their characters and spend the sessions progressing this arc by interacting with each other and various NPCs.

2. Character Driven - very little in D&D actually supports this. The skill system is so basic that it's largely pointless. The system does not reward any character growth at all. Falling in love and getting married, for example, is entirely free-form. Nothing in the system actually supports or rewards this.
Character driven feels more like 2 playstyles jammed in one.

In 5e terms, there is a play driven by Abilities and Proficiencies and play driven by Personal Characteristics.

The first is a playstyle focused around rolling your Ability modifiers and Prof modifiers all the time. All the time. With the DM heavily challenging your ability modifiers with obstacles than your combat stats.

The second playstyle is more about what 5e calls Traits, Ideals, Bonds, and Flaws and has little to with the core of your character sheet. It's closer to Free Form RP.

People sometimes claim that Dungeons & Dragons only supports a narrow range of play styles, but that is not my experience. I've seen the D&D rules used to support a variety of games, and as a DM, you should comprehend this versatility and use it to your advantage. Along the way, you should figure out not only your preferred style but also your group's preferences. In this article, I'll explain some of the different styles of play I've encountered.

Hack-and-Slash​

In this popular style of play, the game centers around combat. Characters battle one monster after another, with little thought given to the non-martial elements of the game. It's thrilling for players who love battle scenes and immediate action, and this style is often where younger players begin with D&D. However, it can become monotonous over time, and most experienced players seek deeper experiences.

Problem-Solving​

This style of play is aimed squarely at the thinkers. It encourages players to employ problem-solving skills to overcome various intellectual challenges. These could include things such as mysteries, logic puzzles, and riddles. Problem-solving can also include circumventing lethal traps, neutralizing weird tricks, and locating valuable items or important places. One standard framing device is the so-called "funhouse" dungeon, full of puzzles and tricks.

Character Driven​

Historical Simulation​

This style focuses on recreating specific historical periods, often with minimal supernatural elements. Players might experience medieval England, ancient Rome, or even World War II! The session's goal is often to experience a critical historical moment, such as the assassination of Caesar or the D-Day landings. This style, though rare in my experience, is enjoyed by those already steeped in the history of an era. I've also seen it used in educational settings.

Slapstick​

This style of play is light-hearted and humorous, filled with anachronisms, satire, and dreadful puns. It features bizarre scenarios and characters that often parody contemporary culture. While enjoyable in short bursts, this style can soon overstay its welcome.

Monty Haul​

In a Monty Haul game, characters receive vast amounts of loot or levels with little correlation of risk to reward. Characters advance rapidly during these games and soon find themselves capable of facing mighty foes. This style appeals to some players, especially those with limited time and a desire to experience the game's higher levels. However, such easy advancement can cheapen the gaming experience, and "Monty Haul" has historically been used as a term of derision.

Tactical​

This style is about employing optimal strategy and tactics within a well-defined rules framework. Players who favor this type of play often spend much time optimizing their character builds, and games consist of a series of set-piece battles. Tactical games are similar to hack-and-slash games, but differ in their focus on rules mastery.

Political​

This game style involves players in political intrigue and power struggles. Scenarios can range from momentous events, such as negotiating treaties between empires, to minor conflicts, like settling disagreements between market vendors. Characters spend sessions interacting with NPCs, researching background information, and devising ways to create leverage in negotiations.

Mixing It Up​

It is standard practice to borrow elements from multiple styles for your game, using variety to maintain interest and keep things fresh. For example, the best classic dungeon crawls contain hack-and-slash, problem-solving, and even political elements (such as negotiations between dungeon factions). Even when the group prefers a play style, it is a good idea to switch things up with a different style occasionally. For example, after your tactical group completes a long adventure involving numerous set-piece battles, you might have a session featuring a banquet and focused purely on character development.

It's even possible to include some of the more eclectic play styles in an otherwise straight campaign. For example, Zart, the god of tricks, might transport the characters to a slapstick cartoon-inspired world, where they take on the role of Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck and compete in the Looney Tunes Olympics. Or perhaps they pass through a magic portal and find themselves a historical situation, helping 300 Spartans defend Macedonia against a massive Persian army.

Each style has its unique charm and challenges. As a DM, you should strive to understand and use these different types of play to ensure a fulfilling and enjoyable gaming experience for all players.

Over to you. Do you agree with these classifications? Are there any I've missed?

This article was inspired by an essay by Jennell Jaquays, and was originally published on my blog.

I agree. This list brought back to mind Jennel Jaquay's writing in the Campaign Sourcebook and Catacomb Guide which you reference. You can do a lot with D&D. Historical stuff can be trickier if you want something that purely matches the history, but I have run history D&D campaigns without a problem. And the green books in the 90s were great for adapting the game to particular periods. I don't play as much D&D these days as I have other systems I prefer to use but I remember when I played a lot of D&D we ran all kinds of campaigns.

Oofta

Legend
I strongly disagree with you here. Most of the things you've listed aren't actually supported by D&D. At best they're freeform which is system independent.

Your point? First, there is support, just not the level or detail of support you want. Second, so what? I like the things that D&D provides, I don't want most of the things that you complain about below to have a predefined resolution system. D&D is a game of make believe, and I love that freeform aspect to it.

For example:

1. Problem Solving - D&D actively works against this. The magic system allows the players to bypass so many problems without actually taking any time to directly try to solve a problem. Why bother working out the combination lock on that lost tomb when you can simply use any of fifteen different magic effects to bypass it?

LOL no. You just aren't setting up the right kind of problem or letting people getting long rests whenever they want. Need to solve that combination lock? Well, if you cast knock you've just rang the dinner bell because everything within 300 feet just heard you. Besides, any complex door lock worth it's salt is simply going to be unaffected because it's not mechanical or held close with an arcane lock spell.

I'd really like to know what 14 other options there are.

Again, what kind of game are you playing? Why on earth would I need mechanical support for people having fun, I don't know, playing their characters? Character growth can be a major component of games and often is. The choices people make in character in response to the scenarios I give them is what makes the game fun and dynamic.

3. Political - again, nothing in D&D supports this. Your character wants to win over the population of the town to get elected. What in D&D actually allows you to do this? This is all freeform or ad hoc DM fiat to resolve.

No mechanical system? Fantastic! I'd hate to turn all my role playing and politics into a board game with mechanical resolution. How the DM tracks things is up to them, but it does not have to be DM fiat. If the DM is making judgement calls, potentially supported by some accounting or dice roles, it can be a blast. Honestly, this is one of the things I do all the time in games I run it's a lot of fun.

4. Historical Simulation? Seriously? In a game where 30 of the 36 base classes in the PHB all have spells? You'd have to slice out about 4/5ths of the rules just to start doing something like this. My next question would be, why on earth would you even begin to use D&D for this? I couldn't even imagine where you'd start trying to do something like this.

Sure, why not? It's not going to be 100% accurate of course but starting with a historical situation and saying "What if" is the basis for a vast swath of speculative fiction. Is it going to be exactly as it happened? Of course not, that's why it's fun.

I sometimes wonder what game you play, because it's not the game I've been playing for a decade. You seem to hate free play, DM empowerment, anything that doesn't have concrete resolution built in beyond what we have now. That's too bad if you don't enjoy it because I, and my players, love it.

D&D gives us a structure to build stories on. The bits and pieces it provides are necessary, everything from skill and ability checks to combat to spells that can be used in innovative ways to overcome obstacles. It all comes together as a whole. Yes, a fair amount of non-combat is freeform, but that's a strength not a weakness. It may not be the unique aspect to D&D, I don't see why it matters. The (mostly) rules-driven aspects of the game are areas I would have difficulty doing freeform but the I don't want rules dictating how to resolve the aspects that are not.

Character driven campaigns should be about character's personalities, not skills per se. I have run character driven campaigns in a wide variety of systems. You don't need mechanics for characterization to run a character driven campaign. In fact this is an area where I prefer the system to get out of the way so we can focus on playing our characters

Remove ads