• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Subraces - why so many?

Gez

First Post
rounser said:
Gnolls and Flinds are probably my favourites (they make for truly savage armies), and I've run campaigns where they're the humanoid du jour... but I can imagine worlds with just orc-kind (orcs, ogres, ogrillons, norkers)
Aren't Norkers a variant of the hobgoblins?
rounser said:
or just goblinkind (goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears, perhaps extending to jermlaine, gibberlings and meenlocks)
Aren't gibberlings made from mutated dwarves? And you forgot the Koalinth and the Blues.
rounser said:
just lizardfolk (and their kings, perhaps sahuagin, tasloi, thanoi and kuo-toa too)
Tasloi aren't related to lizardfolk, they aren't even scaly. They look rather feline.
Tasloi.jpg

Likewise for Thanoi, they're walrus folks.

(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Not quite.
Errr... not quite to you to. He wasn't saying that high elves were standard elves in Tolkien, he was saying that high elves in D&D are (sorta) equivalent to standard Tolkien elves.
There are no high elves on Middle Earth. Not a one. The last High Elf stepped on Middle Earth at the end of the First Age and left. They were apparently ridiculously powerful but it doesn't matter since they're not there.
You need to read The Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring again. Sure there are. I think what you mean is that there are no Vanyar in Middle-earth, but even that's complicated, as Galadriel was half-Vanyar. By "high" elf, what Tolkien meant was an elf that had been to Valinor. And nobody (except the ignorant) ever tried to claim that the Vanyar were "ridiculously powerful"; they actually seemed to be less competent on a lot of fronts than the Noldor.
Noldor: there were three named Noldor on Middle Earth at the end of the First Age: Galadriel, Gil-galad and Maglor (or maybe it was Maedhros). Of the three, Galadriel is a queen, Gil-galad is dead and the last is either insane or dead. Glorfindel may be a Noldor as well... Tolkien accidentally reincarnated him (you have to be a real Tolkien nerd to know about that). The vast majority of the rest of the Noldor went back to Valinor. The rest of the Noldor were slain in battle with Sauron during the early Second Age or interbred with the Sindar and vanished as a race and culture.
Uh, absolutely wrong. There was an entire kingdom of the Noldor in Hollin (Eregion) in the second age, and it very clearly states that many of the elves of Rivendell were Noldor, including Glorfindel and Gildor, two other named elves from Fellowship. Your history of Glorfindel is a bit wrong as well; Tolkien didn't "accidentally" reincarnate him, there's a long discussion on Glorfindel and why he "came back" after his death, and how an elf could even do that anyway. And you have to be a real Tolkien nerd to know that; it's in the War of the Jewels (I believe) which are almost unreadable to casual readers. A casual Tolkien fan will note that the name Glorfindel was reused in the Silmarillion and Fellowship of the Ring.
All other elves on Middle Earth are Teleri who haven't been to Valinor. (Thingol Greycloak was the exception, but he died during the First Age.) The Teleri are divided into cultural groups - several groups of "wild elves" (often called Nandor - they became uncivilized when their king died during the First Age and they refused to take another) and "grey" elves (named after Thingol Greycloak). Legolas is descended from both groups, but in game terms this means precisely nothing.
In game terms there should be a big difference between Sindar and Nandor, actually.
If you were to run a D20 Middle Earth game, all elven PCs would be Sindar. Period. No exceptions.
What types of elves are playable would depend on the region and time period, but at absolutely no point in the entire history of Middle-earth would that be true.
Elrond's ancestry is ... complicated. Both of his parents are half-elves. One was half-Noldor, one was half-Sindar. I think.
Melian (the Maia) and Thingol Greycloak (the king of the Sindar, but also technically a high elf since he went to Valinor) were the parents of Luthien, who married Beren, a man of the house of Beor. Their son, Dior, was married to Nimloth, a Sindarin elf-maid, and their daughter was Elwing, mother of Elrond. So, it's a bit more complicated on that side of the family tree. On his father's side, it's a bit more straightforward; Tuor, son of Huor, of the House of Hador, a Man, married Idril, the daughter of the Noldor king of Gondolin (drawing a blank, but I think it was Turgon, brother of Galadriel) who bore Earendil, Elrond's father.

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
races like goblins have multiple entries in the MM:

goblins
hobgoblins
bugbears
nilbogs
blues
norkers
also don't forget the aquatic versions

i mean umber hulks, trolls, ogres, ghouls, wraiths, hobgoblins, and gargoyles all had aquatic versions in 1edADnD.

Last edited:

Atom Again

First Post
Imagicka said:
I just don't know why they never really did subraces for humans. Perhaps because it smacks too much about racism. We don't need to have racism against other humans, not when we have elves and halflings to supress!

Greyhawk has human subraces: Oeridians, Baklunish, and others (forgive my spelling though).

diaglo

Adventurer
Atom Again said:
Greyhawk has human subraces: Oeridians, Baklunish, and others (forgive my spelling though).

and so does OD&D dervishes, nomads, buccaneers, bandits, etc...

and so does the Forgettable Realms

and so does Kalamar

and so do many, many, many other campaign settings. Harn, Lankhmar, etc...

Atom Again

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
If you were to run a D20 Middle Earth game, all elven PCs would be Sindar. Period. No exceptions.

Umm, unless, of course, the DM wanted to make exceptions.

[Man, I hate settings lawyers...]

Kax Tuglebend

First Post
Iron Kingdoms also has human sub-races, and i dont recall hearing anyone complaining about it (back in 2e Birthright also has specific subraces, even going sofar as to have a different logo depending one the region of the continent that the product covered)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads