• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Succubus NPC

Succubi may have shapechanging, but abduct-and-replace isn't their M.O. Using another creature would actually be more appropriate, not less.

Didn't the FR have rules for more-powerful versions of dopplegangers?

neogod22

Explorer
Succubi may have shapechanging, but abduct-and-replace isn't their M.O. Using another creature would actually be more appropriate, not less.

Didn't the FR have rules for more-powerful versions of dopplegangers?
Not true, if a fiend has a mission, that's exactly what they do. It's easier to get close to a target as a known "friend" than a stranger.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Not true, if a fiend has a mission, that's exactly what they do. It's easier to get close to a target as a known "friend" than a stranger.

What you're describing is an assassin. Succubi are classically corruptors and soul-stealers. If you want a "target" eliminated or neutralized, other shapeshifting fiends would be better qualified for the job, IMO.

neogod22

Explorer
What you're describing is an assassin. Succubi are classically corruptors and soul-stealers. If you want a "target" eliminated or neutralized, other shapeshifting fiends would be better qualified for the job, IMO.
Your lack of imagination is disturbing my friend. Who better to corrupt a king, than to "replace" his queen with a succubus? No one would question her. No one would even realize she was the problem when king acts strange. No one would even be able to challenge her power when she decides to take more direct steps. The problem you seem to have is, you are stuck in the MM paragraph and can't seem to look on a broader spectrum.

Your lack of imagination is disturbing my friend. Who better to corrupt a king, than to "replace" his queen with a succubus? No one would question her. No one would even realize she was the problem when king acts strange. No one would even be able to challenge her power when she decides to take more direct steps. The problem you seem to have is, you are stuck in the MM paragraph and can't seem to look on a broader spectrum.

1. Why are you trying to make this personal?

2. I don't see anything in the OP about "corrupting a king" - this is an individual monster taking the position of a noble, presumably for political gain.

3. The succubus is well positioned to control exactly one person (assuming that one person doesn't ever make their charm save). Any shapeshifter with more versatile abilities - someone mentioned a hag, for example - has more options for exerting power.

4. Really, the most important factor for the OP's scenario is the desired CR for the power of the party. If the party is higher than level 3-4, you'd almost be better off taking another, more powerful fiend, and giving it the shapechanging it needs.

5. Now that I think of it, Rakshasa would be a really good fit for the right level of party.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
This succubus plays kissy-face and is satirically-frantic to get a date to next Friday's dance. She acts like an immature boy-crazy teenage girl, a bit older than your kid-players.
She can think (and might even say candidly) "Guys have cooties ... but if I pretend like I like them, they do favors for me. Sometimes I can get two to compete with each other, who will do more favors."
-Cue music: Britney Spears "Oops I Did It Again"-
Have some older wiser NPC say "Methinks the Duchess casts a thick dark shadow," to lend a hint that much more is unwell than meets the eye.

neogod22

Explorer
1. Why are you trying to make this personal?

2. I don't see anything in the OP about "corrupting a king" - this is an individual monster taking the position of a noble, presumably for political gain.

3. The succubus is well positioned to control exactly one person (assuming that one person doesn't ever make their charm save). Any shapeshifter with more versatile abilities - someone mentioned a hag, for example - has more options for exerting power.

4. Really, the most important factor for the OP's scenario is the desired CR for the power of the party. If the party is higher than level 3-4, you'd almost be better off taking another, more powerful fiend, and giving it the shapechanging it needs.

5. Now that I think of it, Rakshasa would be a really good fit for the right level of party.
No a Rakesha will murder the party. They won't stand a chance.

Sure a succubus can can control 1 person with charm, but that's not their actual strength. Being able to become the person of someone's dreams, able to enter their dreams to find out who that person is. In role playing games, you need to look beyond what the stat bock says, and ask yourself what can we really do? With monsters, look at more than the stat block, look at the lore.

For D&D, if played right, a succubus will be a handful to down right murderous. She charm the wrong person the party is in serious trouble.

No a Rakesha will murder the party. They won't stand a chance.

Sure a succubus can can control 1 person with charm, but that's not their actual strength. Being able to become the person of someone's dreams, able to enter their dreams to find out who that person is. In role playing games, you need to look beyond what the stat bock says, and ask yourself what can we really do? With monsters, look at more than the stat block, look at the lore.

For D&D, if played right, a succubus will be a handful to down right murderous. She charm the wrong person the party is in serious trouble.

None of which has anything to do with the scenario in question, however.

There's nothing about the situation of "evil creature replacing a noblewoman" that requires a succubus, from the little that I've heard. A smart wizard with a hat of disguise can pull off the same trick. So if the OP wants to replace it, all to the good.

Figure out what you want the character of the fiend to be / do in your game - even if it's "level-appropriate monster for the PCs to kill" - and choose your write-up appropriately.

Remove ads