D&D 5E Sudden changes to the party dynamic

What kind of game was this? I mean if its a game of friends and one guy wants to bring in a family member and the group said no too many players I would find another group.

A dad wanting to share the hobby with his stepson getting turned down would set off huge red flags to me. Frankly I DM almost all the time and I would never do that, even if the group was about to burst with too many.

if the group decided that I would just leave and start a new group.

I love D&D but it's just a game, Family comes first.

It depends on the situation. Family member or not bringing in someone who is rude & disruptive and inflicting them on a group without discussion first isn't cool. Likewise it wouldn't be right for a group to refuse giving someone's family member a chance before even meeting them.

D&D is just a game but if the things we enjoy doing become much less so with the addition of a disruptive player then there isn't much point in playing.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
What kind of game was this? I mean if its a game of friends and one guy wants to bring in a family member and the group said no too many players I would find another group.

A dad wanting to share the hobby with his stepson getting turned down would set off huge red flags to me. Frankly I DM almost all the time and I would never do that, even if the group was about to burst with too many.

Sure. Family comes first. 6 of the 7 players were not happy with new players being just invited to the group without asking the rest of the group, including his brothers. As the primary DM I told them adding in yet another player was just more work for me in a game that already runs borderline too slow. The secondary DM who runs a 3.5 game when I need a break said the same thing. I told them that if the new guy had to play my game was going to end, it would become more work than its worth for me. No hard feelings if that is the case was said but he understood. I wasn’t sure if it was going to cause him to drop out, but if it did that is the way she goes as they say. He didn’t and the group soldiers on through the Underdark. None of us are the type who are going to find another group of strangers to game with so I guess he told the step son maybe next time, not enough room in the game right now.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
It depends on the situation. Family member or not bringing in someone who is rude & disruptive and inflicting them on a group without discussion first isn't cool. Likewise it wouldn't be right for a group to refuse giving someone's family member a chance before even meeting them.

D&D is just a game but if the things we enjoy doing become much less so with the addition of a disruptive player then there isn't much point in playing.

Exactly. We all know the kid and honestly none of use were really chomping at the bit to spend 4 hours of our only gaming time with him. It would have made our fun less fun so we said no thanks.

GameOgre

Adventurer

WOW! So the only information we have is it's a stepson. Nothing else was said about the person as far as I know, and suddenly the would be new player is rude and disruptive and inflects uncoolness on the group? I mean ok yeah dude you are right. Also if he was a Pyromaniac with a blowtorch, i mean THAT would be uncool, or a serial killer. Totally Uncool as well.

But we don't have any signs of that in the post. Just that it was a stepson, so.....

GameOgre

Adventurer
Well, I can respect the DM's right to pass on another player if he feels that the game would just be too much.

I myself as a player or DM would have dropped from the game at that point either to let the Dad bring in his son or to start a new group but that's just me.

CheezyRamen

First Post

Just you wait, I am gonna go find this kid and talk to the DM. He is going to have to sit there and watch them play without him! He's GONE! OUT! He only gets to play when he fills a small glass with his tears so that the group knows he REALLY wants in ya know.

P.S. I hate kids, I'd probably try to leave the group in the most nonchalant way. I mean, how old is this kid? Like young young? Yeah man, I'm probably out. If older then w.e yeah the dude just wants to play with his kid.

WOW! So the only information we have is it's a stepson. Nothing else was said about the person as far as I know, and suddenly the would be new player is rude and disruptive and inflects uncoolness on the group? I mean ok yeah dude you are right. Also if he was a Pyromaniac with a blowtorch, i mean THAT would be uncool, or a serial killer. Totally Uncool as well.

But we don't have any signs of that in the post. Just that it was a stepson, so.....

I guess you didn't read the part about the group not giving someone a chance before even meeting them. That was kind of the flipside.

CheezyRamen

First Post
Well, I can respect the DM's right to pass on another player if he feels that the game would just be too much.

I myself as a player or DM would have dropped from the game at that point either to let the Dad bring in his son or to start a new group but that's just me.

WRONG! He should make a NEW PC with the sole intent of being the new kids love interest. THAT'D SHOW THEM!

That would be pretty funny but mostly creepishly awkward. Sounds like you should give the kid your books too. He might need them.

CydKnight

Explorer
And to me adding in new players is a totally different thing than existing players wanting to change their PC for IMO a valid reason.
LOL! OK, bud but in what way is the answer I've been trying to get at. Again, I'm not saying you are wrong but you still haven't said why these examples are so different when, to me at least, they seem similar in that you have a single person deciding unilaterally to effect change that has an impact on all involved. Why is the PC's reason for changing characters more valid than the DM's reason for bringing in a new character?

Remove ads