• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suggest a book to me.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I agree with Storm Raven there. I haven't read the particular books he was referring to, mind you, but still: a good writer.

For popular fantasy novels, I'll fifty-fourth (or something) A Song of Ice and Fire. Or at least, what there is of it to date.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

Song of Ice and Fire: A very good book with an interesting plot and some great characters. My only problem with the books is that Martin tries too hard to be morally ambiguous at times with the characters performing actions that don't seem natural.

Conan stories: Pick up a volume of Robert E. Howard Conan tales. Howard writes great prose. The stories are good. You get to see where the inspiration for the Conan movie came from.

The Coffin Dancer: This isn't a fantasy book. It's a mystery written by Jeffrey Deaver. I really like Jeffrey Deaver stories. They always seem to have an interesting twist that isn't telegraphed. This is the best Deaver book out of the four or so that I've read.

It: If you haven't read this Stephen King classic, you're missing out.

The Count of Monte Cristo: One of the best books I've ever read. You've probably read this classic. But if you haven't, you should.

Otherland by Tad Williams: I'll second this series of books. Very good series. Elements of sci fi and fantasy, written as a pure fantasy book. Nice prose. Interesting characters. Good pacing. Very interesting plot that you won't figure out until the end.

Last edited:

Welverin

First Post
Ambrus said:
Seconded. But why stop there? His other books are also worth reading imho. Then again, perhaps I'm just sychophantic fanboy #17. :eek:

Guess that makes me #19, after the people who lead to me reading his stuff.

For the scifi version, try Timothy Zahn, I have fair number of his books so far and haven't been disappointed yet.

Asmo

First Post
I love Robin Hobb, I think she is the best writer out there. I rarely cry, but when reading her books... well, I just can´t help it.

I can recomend "The Liveship Traders" trilogy wich takes place in the same world as "The Farseer" books, but with mostly other characters. Excellent books,with some amazing ideas and great characters.

She made a return to the characters that we learnt to know during "The Farseer" in "The Tawny Man" trilogy,fast forward 20 (?) years.
This is simply breathtaking books, some of the best things I´ve ever read.

She is currently working on "The Soldier Son" trilogy, wich I´ve not read. I don´t read anything before it´s finished, so no Jordan or Martin for me :)

Asmo

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
I know Eragon and Eldest have been repeatedly spat upon in the boards, but I enjoyed both books. They are solid reading and worth the money, in paper back at least, to get them. I cannot say the same things of most of the book released by WotC or the general pabulum for sale. So, I recommend these two books.

And Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

For several years now I've read more non-fiction than fiction. I need to come up with a list of those books I can recommend.

Aus_Snow

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:
For several years now I've read more non-fiction than fiction. I need to come up with a list of those books I can recommend.
That would be most interesting. I've also been reading more non-fiction lately, but still, more reviews of (especially history) books are always appreciated.

Agamon

Adventurer
Steel_Wind said:
Agreed. IF the OP has not read Song of Ice and Fire, this is the one series that moves to the top of the list above all others. SoIaF is the current "champion" of all fantasy novels.

You're kidding, right? Those books suck. Worst thing I ever read. I hate ASoIaF, I hate it so much....

*looks at avatar*

Oh, right. Sorry, I meant the exact opposite of what I wrote up there. My bad. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads