D&D 5E Suggest old adventures to be republished (in TotYP or GoS format)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I would love I3-5 wonder if other desert-themed adventures could be mixed together like. For example B4 The Lost City is also desert themed. B4 is been converted by Goodman Games as OAR 4 so I doubt it will be part of a compilation.

I3-5 does seem to be one of the most solid candidates to anchor such a book.

I really wonder what a DL compilation would look like, or could look like: the page count would be astronomical if not edited, but how to clean it up to fit...?

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
I3-5 does seem to be one of the most solid candidates to anchor such a book.

I really wonder what a DL compilation would look like, or could look like: the page count would be astronomical if not edited, but how to clean it up to fit...?
Well, first I think they would have to use and convert the original
I3-5 which amount in total to 112 pages including covers and not the compilation set in Faerun which has 147 pages. That would free enough space to fit in at least three to four more adventures or three adventures and a gazeteer. Ghost of Saltmarsh have around what 256 pages?

I would love I3-5 wonder if other desert-themed adventures could be mixed together like. For example B4 The Lost City is also desert themed. B4 is been converted by Goodman Games as OAR 4 so I doubt it will be part of a compilation.
as with GoS, they could put in some of the better desert-theme adventures from Dungeon. I'm sure there are some good ones in there....

Parmandur

Book-Friend
@vpuigdoller GoS does have 256 pages, but the page counts for the chapters are less than the page count in the original Modules: I'd estimate that a current reprint of the I3-5 supermodule would be closer to 100 pages, or more like ~80 pages if they used the original modules. I actually did some of the math about Ghosts of Saltmarsh in the Greyhawk Setting thread previously, as follows:

Smaller than you might think. First point is, that the old edition reprints in GoS and TftYP have taken up significantly fewer pages than the original modules (different print, page size etc.). Just taking the face page count though:

• T1-4 with 128 page book and 16 page map supplement
  • S4 with two 32- page books, one of them primarily a Bestiary in my understanding, and a folder map
  • WG4 with 32 pages & folder map

So that's ~240 pages in the old format on the face of it.

In contrast, for Ghosts of Saltmarsh, we had:

• U1 was a 32 page module with folder map, but takes up 23 pages in GoS
  • U2 was a 32 page module with folder map, bit takes up 26 pages in GoS
  • U3 was a 48 page book with foldout map, but takes up 29 pages in GoS

So, ~116 pages (including poster maps) of 1E material became 78 pages of 5E material, roughly two-thirds of the space used. Therefore, we can conclude that T1-4, S3, and WG4 would be a comfortably sized 5E book, with loads of room for other material.

Last edited:

GoS does have 256 pages, bit the page counts for the chapters are less than the page count in the original Modules:
from what I remember about U1-3... it had several extraneous pages that wouldn't be necessary in a retelling... multiple recaps of the plotline, pages of NPC stats and magic items, a couple of full page illustrations.... I imagine they trimmed a lot of that down....

Parmandur

Book-Friend
from what I remember about U1-3... it had several extraneous pages that wouldn't be necessary in a retelling... multiple recaps of the plotline, pages of NPC stats and magic items, a couple of full page illustrations.... I imagine they trimmed a lot of that down....

Fair point, but less than you might think, they even added an epilogue battle sequence to U3.

But looking at the Yawning Portal:

• The Sunless Citadel (3E): 23 pages (36 pages in original)
  • The Forge of Fury (3E): 27 pages (36 pages in original)
  • C1 The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan: 34 pages (32 page and 8 page booklets in original)
  • White Plume Mountain: 13 pages (16 pages in original)
  • Dead in Thay (D&D Next Tournament): 55 pages (nothing solid for comparison)
  • G1-3 Against the Giants: 45 pages (32 pages plus two outer folders in the original
  • S1 Tomb of Horrors: 16 pages (32 pages in the original)

The magic items and Bestiary take up about 20 pages, and there's a brief intro about the Yawning Portal.

The only outlier in terms of being longer rather than shorter is Against the Giants, which in TftYP gets 7 pages of full-page maps by Mike Schley, and a rather large amount of art in general.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
@vpuigdoller GoS does have 256 pages, bit the page counts for the chapters are less than the page count in the original Modules: I'd estimate that a current reprint of the I3-5 supermodule would be closer to 100 pages, or more like ~80 pages if they used the original modules. I actually did some of the math about Ghosts of Saltmarsh in the Greyhawk Setting thread previously, as follows:
Oh nice exercise there. You are probably right and they can do squeeze in the compilation version.

Remove ads