Suggest to me a rules lite(ish) modern fantasy/horror RPG

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I would suggest Esoteric Enterprises by Emmy Allen. It’s a complete game and you can grab the pdf for $12 at the link below. And if your players are familiar with D&D, they’ll get most of the basics right away as this is an OSR game based on the D&D system.

Esoteric Enterprises at DTRPG
This. I thought Emmy did a great job porting Urban Fantasy/Horror to an OSR system. The implied setting is also quite excellent.

I would also recommend The Between, even though it's setting is Victorian. The system would do modern Horror/Fantasy a treat. There's also a new game by the same author called Public Access that has a great Twin Peaks sort of vibe that I would recommend anyone check out.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Another thought about this:
So, I am not exactly sure what the best game system to use for this would be.
What systems are you & your group familiar with? Regardless of rules light/rules heavy, rules familiar can make trying something different easier, if the rules in question support what you want to try.

ko6ux

Adventurer
Thanks for all the suggestions. MotW or SWADE is probably pretty close to what in looking for in terms of complexity and tone.

CoC and it's offshoots might be too lethal and too cosmic. Basically I'm looking for someone that can handle d&d character concepts in the modern world with a gothic/romantic horror tone, but without using a d20 derived system (for sake of variety).

Remove ads