Suggestion on Build

OmniChaos

First Post
Drow Wizard
Male Drow Wizard 1
N Medium Humanoid (elf)
Init +3 ; Senses darkvision 60 ft.;
Languages Common, Elven, Undercommon,Draconic, Drow Sign Language, Abyssal, Infernal
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AC 13, touch 13, flat-footed 10
(+3 Dex)
hp 5 (1 HD)
Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +3 (+5 against spells, spell-like abilities, and other enchantments)
Weakness light blindness
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee Rapier (1d6/18-20) or
Melee Dagger (1d4/19-20)
Ranged Hand Crossbow (1d4/19-20)
Base Atk +0 ; Grp +0
Atk Options poison (drow poison, Fort DC 13, unconscious 1 minute/unconscious 2d4 hours)
Combat Gear 2 doses of drow poison
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 10
Feats Scribe Scroll, Spell Focus (evocation)
Skills Concentration +4, Knowledge (arcana) +4, Spellcraft +4, Decipher Script +2, Speak Language +1 (Infernal)
Possessions Combat gear plus Rapier, Dagger, Hand Crossbow with 10 bolts, Spellbook, Spell component pouch
Money 125 gp
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Light Blindness (Ex) Abrupt exposure to bright light blinds drow for 1 round. In addition, they take -1 circumstance penalty on attack rolls, saves, and checks when in bright light.

OK using the racial class table and spreading it over 4 tiers this is how the 1st lvl turned out. If anything looks out of place let me know. Maybe my quest for a 1st lvl drow is at an end >.< lol

Thanee

First Post
Well, not sure why you want to play a drow wizard (and not settle with a half-drow wizard), but as a character of appropriate level (i.e. wizard class level + level adjustment), your character will definitely always be very weak.

The 3rd Edition magic system does not really allow for much deviation from the full spellcasting progression without a huge loss in power.

This might be ok for you, I just wanted to point out, that this combination is everything but ideal.

Bye
Thanee

OmniChaos

First Post
Well the way it works by the time I am a wizard 4 I will have my full drow powers. I dont lose anything it just means I get my drow abilities as I lvl up. That way I dont start out overpowered but I will be like any other drow by 4th lvl. I wont be losing any spellcasting power or anything.

As to why I want to play a drow well for the same reason anyone wants to play any race other then human. Really I just like them and would love to finally fight as one and role play as one. Anyway I dont intend to be like Drizzt the noble. I made my guy neutral for a reason ;)

Last edited:

irdeggman

First Post
Well the way it works by the time I am a wizard 4 I will have my full drow powers. I dont lose anything it just means I get my drow abilities as I lvl up. That way I dont start out overpowered but I will be like any other drow by 4th lvl. I wont be losing any spellcasting power or anything.

That is not how the class level LA approach works at all.

The class levels are that - class levels without HD.

I recommend you go to the WotC site and use the Savage Progressions articles for Drow progression.

Savage Progressions Archive

Drow Base Racial Features

All of the following are base racial abilities for the drow.

Ability Score Adjustments: +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence.

Size: Drow are Medium size.

Speed: Drow base land speed is 30 feet.

Proficiencies: A drow is proficient with the hand crossbow, rapier, and short sword.

Dancing Lights (Sp): A drow may use dancing lights (caster level equals drow's character level) once per day.

Darkvision (Ex): A drow has darkvision to a 60-foot range.

Immunities (Ex): A drow is immune to magic sleep effects.

Light Blindness (Ex): Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds a drow for 1 round. On subsequent rounds, he is dazzled as long as he remains in the affected area.

Skill Bonuses: A drow has a +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. Furthermore, a drow who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if he were actively looking for it.

Automatic Languages: Common, Elven, Undercommon. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Aquan, Draconic, Drow Sign Language, Gnome, Goblin.

Favored Class: Wizard (male) or cleric (female). A multiclass drow's wizard or cleric class (male or female, respectively) does not count when determining whether an experience point penalty applies.

Now at first level (0 xp) - you take your wizard level (and gain class benefits and HD).

Once you reach 2nd level xp you have the option of taking the next level of drow or the next level of wizard (but not both). {That is how the LA class progression works)

Drow Racial Class Features
All of the following are class features of the drow racial class.

Darkvision (Ex): A 1st-level drow's darkvision range increases to 120 feet.

Faerie Fire (Sp): At 1st level, the drow may use faerie fire (caster level equals drow's character level) once per day.

Spell Resistance (Su): At 1st level, the drow gains spell resistance equal to 5 + character level. At 2nd level, her spell resistance increases to 11 + character level.

Darkness (Sp): At 2nd level, the drow may use darkness (caster level equals drow's character level) once per day.

Saving Throw Bonuses (Ex): At 2nd level, a drow gains a +2 racial bonus on Will saves against spells and spell-like abilities.

irdeggman

First Post
Drow Wizard
Male Drow Wizard 1
N Medium Humanoid (elf)
Init +3 ; Senses darkvision 60 ft.;
Languages Common, Elven, Undercommon,Draconic, Drow Sign Language, Abyssal, Infernal
AC 13, touch 13, flat-footed 10
(+3 Dex)
hp 5 (1 HD)
Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +3 (+5 against spells, spell-like abilities, and other enchantments)
Weakness light blindness
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee Rapier (1d6/18-20) or
Melee Dagger (1d4/19-20)
Ranged Hand Crossbow (1d4/19-20)
Base Atk +0 ; Grp +0
Atk Options poison (drow poison, Fort DC 13, unconscious 1 minute/unconscious 2d4 hours)
Combat Gear 2 doses of drow poison
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 10
Feats Scribe Scroll, Spell Focus (evocation)
Skills Concentration +4, Knowledge (arcana) +4, Spellcraft +4, Decipher Script +2, Speak Language +1 (Infernal)
Possessions Combat gear plus Rapier, Dagger, Hand Crossbow with 10 bolts, Spellbook, Spell component pouch
Money 125 gp
Light Blindness (Ex) Abrupt exposure to bright light blinds drow for 1 round. In addition, they take -1 circumstance penalty on attack rolls, saves, and checks when in bright light.

OK using the racial class table and spreading it over 4 tiers this is how the 1st lvl turned out. If anything looks out of place let me know. Maybe my quest for a 1st lvl drow is at an end >.< lol

So what does a nonLA race get for "free" over 4 levels to make it equal to your "more powerful" character?

What you have tried to do is to sneak in what the designers consider to be 2 class levels of abilities for free over 4 levels. If I was playing n the same game as your PC and I was running a dwarf or other non-LA race I would feel greatly slighted by the fact that your PC is inherently more powerful than mine and would want something to make our PCs more "equivalent" in power, otherwise my PC would constantly be outshined by yours.

green slime

First Post
I agree with Irdeggman. Not that I'm telling you how to enjoy your game, or how your DM should run his, but IMC, I'd not allow it. The reason for the +2 LA, is so the player has to sacrifice something in order to obtain all those cool abilities. It is also obvious, that the level penalty is most galling at the low levels, as that is when you most notice the lack of hp. Check with your DM first.

green slime

First Post
On a second note, when it comes to crafting items: I always enjoy crafting items, but I never take craft wand, the reason being, it is too expensive! You have to create a fully charged wand, and prior 10th level, the price is exhorbitive: it is just too great a portion of your wealth to justify. Later on, after 10th level, it can come in handy, but by then, there will be other more interesting feats to pick up.

Scribe Scroll is good enough, so you don't really need craft wand, IMO.

OmniChaos

First Post
Well I finally got in on a online game. But I am playing a half drow cause my DM did not want to go thru everything that I have been going thru to try and figure it out lol. So I am a half drow wizard with drow legacy as my 1st feat which is all in the rules. If I get into another game I will just use a drows base traits and forget the rest unless everyone is playing a LA+ class or the DM knows how to deal with it.

Thanks to everyone who has posted and helped me out on this.

Remove ads