• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Suggestions for building 4e adventures

Spinachcat

First Post
I am going to run "The Other Keep on the Borderlands" at the Gamex convention in May and this will be my first "4e Lite" adventure. I will certainly post it after the convention. Since the only characters we have are 1st level, that's who I will be using.

I need some pointers from people who have used the 4e Lite to create characters, monsters and adventures. I have built tons of adventures for other games and many dozens of dungeons, so the story side and NPC side I have down pat. My question to you is about the 4e lite system and designing within it.

What advice to you have to someone designing a 4e Lite adventure? What pitfalls should I keep in mind? What range of characters and monsters can you create with the 4e lite? How many monster options do we have for a party of 6 heroes of 1st level?

Thank you in advance!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
In the Monsters and More you'll find plenty of monsters, many of them very powerful. Keep in mind that the DDM ones (usually you can tell them because their stat blocks don't list XP) have too low HP and too high a damage output.

Making monsters is pretty easy, so don't be afraid to make your own. I suggest looking at Keterys' monsters (Link can be found on the Original Creations thread, along with other's homemades) for some ideas.

You're safe to make encounters with any number of monsters of any level, as long as they add up to an XP value of 100 XP per 1st level PC or less, the party won't have any trouble, and you can go up to about half again, if you want to risk killing a PC (it's by no means a definite kill at that XP value, it's just the dice can go either way.)

Have fun!

Fitz

Jack99

Adventurer
Design bigger rooms than you are used to, when designing dungeons. 4e combat benefits a lot from some added space, contrary to older editions.

ObsidianCrane

First Post
Know the terrain, its far more important to do this than it was in 3E, because it can be used in far more interesting ways. The monsters are easy, but you need to be sure that any trap or terrain elements are well understood to make them meaningful in your encounters and earn their place.

The other advice is Know the Story - the plot is probably more important now than it was in the past as well. The general design of a scenario can be a lot more plot driven than in the past, think scenes rather than a rigid dungeon would be my suggestion.

med stud

First Post
Don't plan encounters based on PC- attrition. Compared to earlier, PCs can keep going for longer. Use story reasons for limiting dungeons instead of spells/HP.

D'karr

Adventurer
Encounters will typically be composed of multiple creatures against the PCs. Except for Solo creatures which will usually be a challenge for an entire party.

These creatures and the PCs will require more maneuver room, as mobility is one of the things that is emphasized in 4e. Make most encounter areas bigger.

Use interesting terrain, a battle over a pit is more exciting than one over flat terrain. At low level keep in mind that interesting terrain does not need to mean deadly terrain. The same battle over a lava pit could spell disaster.

Use encounter traps as part of a combat. Imagine being pelted by crossbow fire from a high ledge while trying to cross a bridge that has a spear trap that trigger every round and the far side of the ledge has some more opponents ready for the PCs.

Use skill challenges to advance a goal. The success of a skill challenge should provide a tangible reward for achieving the overall goal (the next encounter is easier, the party finds the missing clue, the mob does not attack, the party is not recognized by future guards, etc.). By the same token failing at a skill challenge should pose a tangible obstacle for the PCs (their description is circulated and all guards recognize them, the alarm is sounded, the mob attacks or chases the party, they don't find the missing clue and will have to look elsewhere, the next encounter is more difficult, etc.)

Spinachcat

First Post
Great suggestions!

The joke about 1e was the 10 x 10 rooms. Looking back on those old modules, the scale was often set as 1 box = 10 feet, but when copying to graph paper or battle mats, many people didn't convert. However, it was pretty common to have 20 x 20 rooms which is only 4 x 4 squares. Obviously, not enough for the 4e movement.

So how big are you making your average rooms in 4e adventures?

3 Man

First Post
New to the forum, but thought I could jump in. Also making a campaign and considering using Dungeon Tiles for the first time. Good idea? Bad idea? And if I do use them which sets have what I need: city street, industrial center, tavern, castle, forest, cavern and dungeon? Any help appreciated.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads