Summer Movies

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I also think the multiverse stuff is getting played out. Add DC rep on top plus all the reset with Gunn. There is a lot tanking this movie along with the Ezra bomb.
I don't even like time travel movies. But from the trailers, Flash incorporates time travel AND alternate realities? That's basically the writer saying, "abandon all hope of reason, ye who enter here." At least DADHAT stayed in one universe! I think...

I don't even like time travel movies. But from the trailers, Flash incorporates time travel AND alternate realities? That's basically the writer saying, "abandon all hope of reason, ye who enter here." At least DADHAT stayed in one universe! I think...

I'll add on top of that alot of competition and high cost.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
DADHAT avoided this by just having an underdark region of the world. Also, the McGuffin simply resurrected a person, instead of going back in time to change something. Glad they went in a typical D&D direction for sure.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah my guess is everyone who went first weekend were the comic diehards. Everyone else was "yeah screw Ezra Miller I'm out".

I mean the movie honestly was pretty decent, way better than many other superhero movies out there, so I don't think the movie itself can explain the drop.
For me it's a combination of Ezra being a garbage human and the repeated disappointment in DC movies, by and large. It makes it a no-brainer to skip, for me.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It's definitely a combination of Ezra, Multiverse Fatigue, and "Who cares about a defunct DCEU movie". They managed to make "good" (which is usually the most important thing for the success of a film, even if we like to pretend it's not) not really factor in.

One more thing hurt it: Lately you've been able to watch a film on streaming within 4-6 weeks of it releasing in theatres. I can wait that long to see it, easy.

Clint_L

Hero
I'm burnt out on Marvel movies at this point, and they are typically a lot better than the DCEU ones have been. Streaming is good enough.

I kinda wish the big superhero franchises would take a ten year break. How can we miss you if you never go away? Leave space for other things.

My ultimate summer movie is Jaws. Which sort of invented the idea of the summer blockbuster, so that seems appropriate. I also love "graduation" films (American Grafitti, etc.).

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
One more thing hurt it: Lately you've been able to watch a film on streaming within 4-6 weeks of it releasing in theatres. I can wait that long to see it, easy.
This huge for me. There is a very very small number of films that make me want to get out and see them in a theater. I think Dune part 2 is the only one on the horizon for me. I can wait for everything else at the moment.

Ryujin

Legend
It's definitely a combination of Ezra, Multiverse Fatigue, and "Who cares about a defunct DCEU movie". They managed to make "good" (which is usually the most important thing for the success of a film, even if we like to pretend it's not) not really factor in.

Also very true and I should have added that to my list. If I ever do choose to see it, I will likely have effectively already paid to do so.

Remove ads