• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Summoner help.

BabyBackRibs

Explorer
OK everybody my group and I are going to be starting a game tomorrow and I am going to be building a summoner, and I have three questions I couldn't find answers to.

1.) How many times can a summoner call his Eidolon a day? The reason I ask is because I saw a feat that said I could summon it an additional time per day, but I couldn't even find rules about how many times per day you could summon your Eidolon.

2.) Multiattack. It took me forever to find this feat as it was, but once I have three natural attacks I can make a second attack at -2?
Example: My Eidolon has his two claws and a gore attack. Can I make two claw attacks, the first at full BAB and the second at -2?

3.) Simple one now, do I add my Eidolons STR mod to BAB?

Thanks in advance every one.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
1) The fluff text for that feat was mistakenly unedited from the beta, where the times you could summon the eidolon were limited. They changed it in the APG/final version where you can summon it as often as you want as long as it wasn't slain that day, but can't use your Sumon Monster ability while it's out. If you look at the actual benefit of the feat you'll see it has nothing to do with times/day you summon the eidolon. It's just a mistake in the descriptive text.

2) In PF, you can have several primary natural attacks. Each eidoon evolution says if it's a primary or secondary natural attack. Primary hit with full attack bonus and Str mod damage (x1.5 if it's the only natural weapon you have), secondary have a -5 to hit and only get half str mod to damage. If you use a maufactured weapon like a sword, all natural attacks would be applied after your iterative attack routine with the sword and become secondary. The multiattack feat just makes the penalty for 2ndary natural weapons -2 to hit instead of -5. If you have no 2ndary natural attacks, it gives you no benefit, sadly.

3) Yes, for melee attacks. If it got some weapon proficiencies and started shooting a bow or whatever, it'd add dex mod to BAB.

BabyBackRibs

Explorer
OK thanks, but now I'm a little confused. The evolution rend says that to use it the Eidolon has to make two claw attacks which are both primary. does multiattack not work with the claw attacks?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Claw attacks are primary, they already have no attack penalty, so Multiattack does nothing for them. Ditto for gore. It is also a primary attack, so Multiattack does nothing for it. If you grew a new pair of arms and picked up a sword, on a full attack you'd get the sword attacks and both claws and gore would become secondary natural attacks and benefit from the feat (-2 to hit instead of -5).

It's pretty dumb that PF left a gaping hole in its Multiattack rules where a creature can end up getting no benefit at all from it. But...that's how it turned out.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
By full attacking. If you're a quadruped eidolon, you really want the Ponce evolution. Otherwise, just need to get into melee and wait around. Or have an ally bull rush you into melee or something. :)

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
They don't get multiple attacks based off BAB (those are "iterative attacks"), but they get a single attack with each natural weapon they have, either at full BAB, or full BAB - 5 (if it's a 2ndary natural weapon).

So if you have a pair of claws and a gore, all of which are primary attacks for the Eidolon, and your medium sized Eidolon's BAB was +1 and Str 16 (+3 mod), his full attack would be:

Claw +4 (d4+3 damage)
Claw +4 (d4+3 damage)
Gore +4 (d6+3 damage)

If he can't full attack, he only gets to make one of those attacks. If he had pincers (2ndary natural weapons that do d6 base damage) instead of claws, he'd have two pincer attacks at -1 to hit for d6+1 (str mod is halved) damage. With Multiattack, the pincr attack bonus would be +2 and damage would remain the same.

Finally, note that Eidolons have a maximum number of natural attacks you can evolve them to have, based on summoner level, so you can't just give one ten arms with claws, for instance.

Remove ads