D&D 5E Summoning conjuration: is it even worth it?

Halivar

First Post
In one of my games, I play a conjurer (ported to 5E from Pathfinder), and I don't believe I have ever actually used my summon elemental spells in combat since the changeover. The one minute casting time ensures I can only use it when I 1) know a fight is coming immediately and 2) nevertheless have time to spend ten rounds summoning. Thus, in combat my only summon is Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound and then evocation spells. The whole character concept is mechanically disappointing.

Is anyone else having better luck with summoner wizards, and how are you handling the hurdles?

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
There are no "hurdles" that I see - finding a minute to cast the spell, and then finding something for the conjured creature to do within the 1 hour duration is not difficult in any way as it is very easy for the character to discern when something like combat is imminent within the duration of the spell.

In fact, I've seen such spells last 2 to 3 encounters more often than I've seen them not manage to be cast before an encounter occured.

Gadget

Adventurer
I believe the OP is running into a bit of a paradigm shift with regard to summoning in the switch over from 3e/Pathfinder to 5e. As the responses above this one indicate, the spell is still very useful due to the long duration--it just requires a bit more forethought and planning. It is not a spell you toss off with (literally) less than a moment's notice. Part of the design goal was to reign in the most egregious balance excesses that spell casters were capable of in preceding editions; the quick force multiplying effects of summoning spells were seen as one of those problems (not to mention the added overhead they added to the game). Thus the fewer--though still quite powerful--summoning spells available in the game with longer casting times and concentration requirement. It can make it difficult if you envision your character as 'summoner' using summoning spells as the go to solution in encounters, though not impossible.

gweinel

Explorer
I can understand the OP. I have the same issues with summoning... or by the lack of it. Actually there is no summoner class and that is a pity because summoners always were one of my favorite characters (wizard summoners, druid summoners, cleric summoners). Now, unfortunately the have stripped this ability at low - middle levels.

And since we mentioned it, i asked Mearls at Twitter about summoner.

How would you approach/design a summoner class (like the wizard summoner of 2nd/3rd edition)?

Mearls: it's pretty tricky - I'd probably design a set of new spells that make summoning more specific in intent and use

Last edited:

Remove ads