• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Summoning Spells

Li Shenron

Legend
I did find that a huge disappointment. Summoning was problematic in 3e, but 4e handled it so well.

I am not familiar with 4e, how did it handle summon monsters spells?

I remember that in 3e Summon Monsters generally slowed the game down because of the increase in number of combatant.

The short duration also wasn't very nice IMO, 1 round/level (IIRC) meant that they were only of minor benefit to a low-level caster, then at low/mid level the duration was close to that of a whole combat (forcing you to keep track of it carefully), and at higher level it became irrelevant. In all cases, the duration didn't prevent the caster to use summoned monsters as trapfinder dummies, but it prevented using them for more creative and less game-breaking uses (messengers, thieves, laborers, creating distractions...).

In 5e I was expecting concentration to be required by summoning spells, rather than having a short duration. This would have allowed more non-combat uses, but at the same time preventing too frequent combat uses.

1of3

Explorer
In 4e they were daily and required the summoner's action to attack. Much like 5e ranger companions.

How does it work in 5e?

Crothian

First Post
I'm not sure about elementals, but celestials and fiends don't have free will, they're servants of their superiors. .

I would love to see where that is written.

If celestial don't have free will they can't fall. If fiends don't have free will they can't plot against their superiors.

I am not familiar with 4e, how did it handle summon monsters spells?

I remember that in 3e Summon Monsters generally slowed the game down because of the increase in number of combatant.

The short duration also wasn't very nice IMO, 1 round/level (IIRC) meant that they were only of minor benefit to a low-level caster, then at low/mid level the duration was close to that of a whole combat (forcing you to keep track of it carefully), and at higher level it became irrelevant. In all cases, the duration didn't prevent the caster to use summoned monsters as trapfinder dummies, but it prevented using them for more creative and less game-breaking uses (messengers, thieves, laborers, creating distractions...).

In 5e I was expecting concentration to be required by summoning spells, rather than having a short duration. This would have allowed more non-combat uses, but at the same time preventing too frequent combat uses.
As [MENTION=48555]1of3[/MENTION] said, the caster had to use their action to get the pet to attack. Monsters also had opportunity attacks they could make without being commanded.
With that and a duration of concentration, summoning spells shouldn't be too bad. The trick would be finding out what CR is appropriate for each spell level.

MtlGuy514

First Post
I believe, the Designers didn´t want a spell in the PHB that requires the PC to flip through the MM. And I approve. I hope however, that the summopn monster spell will appear in the MM or DMG as an option for PCs. We already know, that some options are in the DMG, smmon monster seems like it belongs there.

Heh, the GM's I've encountered in PFS sessions expect the player to have done the homework ourselves. If I want to summon 1d4 celestial eagles, I have to provide the stat block and modifiers (augment summons) myself. To that end I'd have to prepare in advance, sometimes with cue cards, or just photocopy the page of what I might expect to summon so I don't have to lug the book around.

Mephista

Adventurer
The Undying Chain Warlock should be able summon an undead familiar. So, I say its about both now!

Actually, on the matter of warlocks, I allow Flumphs and Ghosts as chain warlock familiars. Yes, I know the ghost technically counts as a CR 4 mosnter, but its damage and utility is roughly on par with the others with a few tweaks, and making the possession 1/day.

Last edited:

Remove ads