Sundering Magical Weapons

kreynolds

First Post
hong said:
Of course, if that happened on a regular basis, your opinions would probably change.

The point is that magic items can form a deep part of a character's identity, and this is something resulting from centuries of myth and legend. Arthur's status as king of the Britons was confirmed by the fact that he wielded Excalibur, which served as a visible symbol of his right to rule. Samurai have their whole "cult of the sword", with the katana and wakizashi being accorded near-divine status. In more modern times, wizards like Gandalf, Saruman and Raistlin had their staffs, which symbolised their ability as masters of magic. While not all magic items have such iconic status, you don't mess with those items that do, unless you have a good reason.

Here, here!!! :)

karooba

First Post
In more modern times, wizards like Gandalf, Saruman and Raistlin had their staffs, which symbolised their ability as masters of magic.

And IIRC, Gandalf broke Saruman's staff, and that symbolized his ability as the master of their order. :D

durath

First Post
Fact is, losing magic items is part of the game. I agree that it shouldn't be done to PC's just for fun but should usually in some way promote both character and story growth. There is also something to be said for the statement S*** happens.

Also, as Karooba pointed out the breaking of certain objects can create very memorable scenes. I love the mental picture(soon to be realized on the big screen) of Gandalf forcing Saruman back out of his tower and sundering his staff to show that he was now the master. Classic.

Depends on the game. Some games the GM is perfectly happy coddling his players. Some GM's try to make their games as tough a challenge as possible so their players can rise to their best.

I know what my drow Blackguard facing the paladin with the ancient Elf-Bane sword is gonna do. The smart thing.

CullAfulMoshuN

First Post
hong said:

Take his family hostage?

:) LOL... I agree though, I have no qualms about destroying a players magical item, especially if they have been using it as a crutch for too long (I have a deep running despise for warp marbles now...), but I don't like going out of my way to do it. I never plan an encounter with the intent of destroying the PCs stuff but neither to I hold back if it is appropriate in the game.

Infact I remember reading somewhere in the DMG or PHB that ever adventure should be designed with atleast one way to destroy some of the PCs items. I think that has been factored into the character wealth per level, and item creation feats, on one hand it makes the creation of magical items easily attainable and but on the other hand it makes magic more common and less legendary (for minor items anyway), and therefore well within the domain of risk.

Remove ads