• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sundering - So what happened?

Herschel

Adventurer
Realms-shaking event #7,412, the worlds are once again splitting apart and RA Salvatore is kludging his insipid cast of Mary Sues back together.

Tune in next time when Mystra is offed once again for Realms-shaking event #7,413.

Remathilis

Legend
Pulled from a thread here (I wish I remember who typed this so I could credit them)

Murder in Baldur's Gate –
· Baldur's Gate computer games are cannon.
· There is a statue of Minsc holding Boo in the middle of the wide.
· Bhaalspawn finish killing each other and Bhaal is reborn.

Legacy of the Crystal Shard
· The Arcane Brotherhood is back in action. They are now operating throughout the North.
· Auril is a goddess again.
· Barbarian Tribes and ten towns still have a rocky relationship

The Companions
· The companions of the Hall have been resurrected.
· Foreshadowing that the Shades will not control the Anauroth in the future.
· The Harpers are still around.
· The weave is being restored and as it is repaired spellscars vanish.

Night of the hunter
· Orcs are indeed chaotic evil in alignment and don't want to play nice with the other races.
· Lolth is making a play for control of the newly reformed weave. To be continue in RA's next book.
· The Kingdom of Many Arrows is going to try to invade the North to be continued in RA's next book.

The Godborn –
· Scratch two princes of shade, Brennus kills Rivalen and himself.
· There is a faction of Sembians that want independence from Shade.
· Mask is reborn.
· Shar's Mouth (Black hole in the middle of Ordulin) is closed.

The Adversary
· The Harpers are growing in number and influence again.
· The gods are creating bunches of chosen. -Vhaeraun has chosen.
· Shar and Asmodeus get in a proxy fight.
· The Reaver
· The Sea of Fallen Stars has returned to its normal size per 1st-3rd ed.
· Velsharoon and Kiaransalee's names still have great power when working necromantic spells
· Nobanion was a spellscarred lion and was released from his imprisonment.
· Umberlee is back in action.
· So is the Emerald Enclave.
· Lathander is back and Amaunator is out.
· There is a faction of the Red Wizards that wants to be free from Szass Tam
· The moonstars have active agents
· Spellplague lands are vanishing

The Sentinel
· Sembia/Netheril is invading Cormyr/Dalelands/Myth Drannor
· The giant black hole( Underchasm) in the map is filled again.
· Helm is back -Myrkul is believed to be around again
· Cyric is no longer in time out
· Grumbar and Luthic get mentioned as active deities.
· Scratch another prince of shade, Yalder gets beheaded

The Herald
· The wards of Candlekeep are drained
· Shade invades and captures Myth Drannor
· The victory proves to be a short one when they bring Shade Enclave over Myth Drannor to try to drain the

Mythal
· Shade Enclaves crashes down, killing most of Netheril's might (arcanists, soldiers, civilians) in the crash
· Scratch Telamont Tanthul from the list, even he dies in the crash (as do any other shade princes still left at this point)
· Mystra is powerful again to get Shar to back down in a possible confrontation

Jim Williams

First Post
Sundering - Why Care?

Can anyone give me a short rundown an what happened?

Hey Nya, I honestly don't know what the full impact of The Sundering is. But if it's ever made clear and you can work it into your campaign in a way that works for you - GREAT!

Me personally, I gave up on the meta-plot with the Time of Troubles. Should I run a Forgotten Realms campaign, I will want the original triumvirate of evil: Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul. The original Forgotten Realms campaign setting is where it's at for me!

Daedrova

First Post
I closely followed the story of FR from the Time of Troubles through the beginning of 4th edition’s Spellplague and had the same questions about The Sundering. Thank you to the OP, and to you Remathilis, for posting this information. Of course, this brings up more questions, like…

The Companions …
• The weave is being restored and as it is repaired spellscars vanish.
How? Mystra was deceased last I read, and her presence is required to maintain a/the Weave.

• Shade Enclaves crashes down, killing most of Netheril's might (arcanists, soldiers, civilians) in the crash
• Scratch Telamont Tanthul from the list, even he dies in the crash (as do any other shade princes still left at this point)
Why? Given Telamont’s immense power, super-genius intellect, and millennia of accumulated knowledge, wisdom and lore, this sounds to be the most irreverent and implausible death of a major character I have ever heard. He foresees the cataclysm that befalls Netheril thousands of years prior and manages to avoid the death-by-crash to which so many others fell… but then supposedly falls victim to the same end? He would have contingencies for any such possibility.

• Mystra is powerful again to get Shar to back down in a possible confrontation
Cool – but again, how? Was she resurrected? By whom? Was her essence found, reincarnated, transferred to a new body? (another prior mortal like Midnight?)

Herschel

Adventurer
The real Mystra.
1627_kenny_-_south_park.jpg

Remathilis

Legend
I closely followed the story of FR from the Time of Troubles through the beginning of 4th edition’s Spellplague and had the same questions about The Sundering. Thank you to the OP, and to you Remathilis, for posting this information. Of course, this brings up more questions, like…

How? Mystra was deceased last I read, and her presence is required to maintain a/the Weave.

Why? Given Telamont’s immense power, super-genius intellect, and millennia of accumulated knowledge, wisdom and lore, this sounds to be the most irreverent and implausible death of a major character I have ever heard. He foresees the cataclysm that befalls Netheril thousands of years prior and manages to avoid the death-by-crash to which so many others fell… but then supposedly falls victim to the same end? He would have contingencies for any such possibility.

Cool – but again, how? Was she resurrected? By whom? Was her essence found, reincarnated, transferred to a new body? (another prior mortal like Midnight?)

I can't say I know; I didn't read those books. (I found this summary elsewhere). The only thing I gathered in addition is that they Mystra here is the ORIGINAL one, not Midnight. Then again, who knows until WotC decides to give us a proper Realms book and explain this stuff. (I'm kinda curious how Lathander came back myself...)

Mirtek

Hero
Spoiler alert:

read at own risk

How? Mystra was deceased last I read
She got better

Why? Given Telamont’s immense power, super-genius intellect, and millennia of accumulated knowledge, wisdom and lore, this sounds to be the most irreverent and implausible death of a major character I have ever heard.
You have heard nothing yet. First Larloch shows up and casually pimplaps Telamont and then Elmister shows up, casually pulls the whole Shade enclave from the sky and just as Telamont wants to teleport away Elmister shows up in his throne room and pimpslaps him into his throne so that he has to go down with his city (nevermind that in earlier novels Elminster and serveral other chosen tried to attack Shade, get to the mythallar and were beaten back by Telamont and the princes).

And not making this up, I am not exaggerating. No epic spellbattles, not an ounce of a counterblow from Telamont, he's as helpless as a kitten.

Again, I am not making this up: She was a bear the whole time. Yes a bear, you read correctly. Her essence was hidden for over a hundred years in a friggin bear!

he only thing I gathered in addition is that they Mystra here is the ORIGINAL one, not Midnight.
Actually it seems as if she's an amalgation of all three former deities. Mystryl+Mystra-1+Mystra-2

Xodis

First Post
All of the strings are suppose to being pulled by Ao (according to the FR Author/Designer questions at GenCon). He's pissed at the Gods for playing all these silly games and not doing what they were born to do (although how you DONT foresee the God of Murder trying to Murder other gods I dont know). It seems the Gods are going to be coming back fully as has already been mentioned, but they should play smaller parts in the grand scheme of things as it progresses. Things are starting to die down in the Realms and make room for adventurers to take the spotlight again. That being said, they dont want to just "undo" the effects of the 4e changes (as doing so would be a disservice to the authors who wrote novels during that time) so instead they progress forward even when forward means fixing mistakes of the past.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
All of the strings are suppose to being pulled by Ao (according to the FR Author/Designer questions at GenCon). He's pissed at the Gods for playing all these silly games and not doing what they were born to do (although how you DONT foresee the God of Murder trying to Murder other gods I dont know). It seems the Gods are going to be coming back fully as has already been mentioned, but they should play smaller parts in the grand scheme of things as it progresses. Things are starting to die down in the Realms and make room for adventurers to take the spotlight again. That being said, they dont want to just "undo" the effects of the 4e changes (as doing so would be a disservice to the authors who wrote novels during that time) so instead they progress forward even when forward means fixing mistakes of the past.

That is odd. If you decide that "murder" is a fundamental pillar of the universe such that there is a god in charge of it and a system set up to make sure that some mortals worship that god in order to give it the faith fuel necessary to keep on promoting/pursuing murder, how do you get pissed when the murder god starts murdering things? FR is such a soap opera....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads