Super Mario brothers as a game setting?

abe ray

Explorer
How would you fine people build super Mario brothers as a dnd game setting?
What sort of powers would the various power ups work as dnd magic items/spells?
What sort of prestige classes could you create for such a setting?

I think it could definitely work, but the first question would be what such a setting would be about? Are the players just random humans who got sucked into the mushroom kingdom? Or can they also play mushroom citizens themselves (like Toad or Princess Peach), or members of the Koopa army? (maybe play as a Hammer Brother?).

Humor and a light-hearted mood would probably be important. I'm not sure if you'd even need hitpoints, since the Mario games rarely use them. Maybe something more akin to Mario Oddesey, where you have just a small number of hits you can take.

I like the idea that Super Mario 2 (Doki Doki Panic) used, of having a bunch of characters that each have their own specialty. Maybe when the players build their character, they can choose one such specialty. Such as jumping very high, very far, floating in the air, being able to hurl heavy objects very far, etc.

Last edited:

I’d make the setting grim, dystopian, and oppressive, with the table experience so miserable that my players have to get drunk to enjoy themselves. Oh wait, I assume you’re not talking about the movie version of Super Mario Bros…

I think I’d try to reskin as much as possible, rather than creating all new items for the various power-ups. Since they’re all temporary, I’d look to potions and scrolls for the templates mostly. And yeah, for the tone of the campaign, I’d try to give it a heavy dose of the whimsical.

A D&D mash-up version of famous videogames would be perfect if the players are children who are trying their first role-playing games. We could imagine the Mushroom Kingdom is a demiplane within the faywild and the princess Peach is a fay lord.

abe ray

Explorer
A D&D mash-up version of famous videogames would be perfect if the players are children who are trying their first role-playing games. We could imagine the Mushroom Kingdom is a demiplane within the faywild and the princess Peach is a fay lord.

Makes sense. What prestige classes would you recommend?

I don't use prestige classes, but I would rather variant classes, something like the archetypes from Pathfinder. About classes, maybe Mario is an acrobat with a piece of other classes. What do you think about the factotum from 3.5 Dungeonscape?

Remove ads