• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Superhero systems?

clvrmonkey

First Post
Having recently delved into my comic collection of several years ago, read many reviews (although not yet played) of Freedom Force, and seen some of the threads around here, I've been inspired to run a supers game.

I'm wondering what systems are out there and what do people like/dislike about them. My only previous experience was with Hero's Unlimited and TMNT, which is still an option but I would like to shop around a bit.

Any links would be appreciated as well!

One last thing... can anybody point me to some good supers story hours?

Last edited:

Natural 20 Press, the publishing branch of ENWorld, published Four-Color to Fantasy, a totally d20-compatible superhero and superpower system. You can read reviews of the book here:

Four-Color to Fantasy

And you can read a storyhour of an adventure that uses these rules here:

Golden Apple Rescue Squad

It adds superpowers to your game the same way another rulebook might add a new magic system or some prestige classes, but it doesn't present a whole new game. That way, if you're already playing Spycraft, and you want super powers, you just add these rules to Spycraft. If you're playing D20 Modern, you can add the rules to that system too. And even for standard D&D, you can have fantasy superheroes (trust me, it's fun!).

The book also presents some fast-play rules, so even if you only have the D&D core rulebooks, all you really need is Four-Color to Fantasy, and you can play in the modern day too. It might require a few slight stretches--a cop might be a fighter, a spy could be a rogue or a bard, etc.--but the rules are very flexible, and are adaptable enough that you can use the same rules system in many different genres.

N Hammer

First Post
Hero System is best for a superhero game..

Get the Hero System 5th Edition Rules ($40), and for more superhero specific info you can get the Champions genre book which just came out.

http://herogames.com/

Go to the Free Stuff section and download a small PDF document that gives a good look see at the rules.

Samurai

Adventurer
As a relative beginner to superhero gaming, I think you'd find Silver Age Sentinels the best bet. There is a d20 version and a Tri-stat version, depending upon which system you prefer. It has all the versatility of Hero and half the needless complexity! ;)

mmadsen

First Post
As a relative beginner to superhero gaming, I think you'd find Silver Age Sentinels the best bet. There is a d20 version and a Tri-stat version, depending upon which system you prefer.
Except that the d20 version isn't very d20. That's the chief complaint. (I haven't seen it, m'self.)

enrious

Of course, if you're looking to stay with d20 for supers, I'd suggest you take a look at Vigilance, available currently from RPGNow but also slated to be printed by Mystic Eye Games.

clvrmonkey

First Post
Thanks and more please!

Thanks for all the advice so far! mmadsen, I checked out the thread you suggested, which unfortunately left me with more questions than answers :) I will be checking out the sites for all of the games mentioned in that thread tho, which is a good start.

In my readings since I first started this thread I think I've refined more of what I'm looking for in a hero's game. While I may check out the d20 products, I prefer to leave that system to dnd. It's the way I am I guess, after a while the system almost seems to become part of the genre, and it feels weird to use it in other types of games.

I'm also looking for simplicity, so tri-stat had me intrigued, but I think that might also be too simple. I read something about it including advantages/disadvantages so that the three stats became more specific. Does anyone know if this is done in a simple manner, or do I need to bust out my Cray to handle figuring those in?

Anybody care to comment on Marvel's game? Was there a DC one as well?

Thanks again to everybody!

mmadsen

First Post
Re: Thanks and more please!

I'm also looking for simplicity, so tri-stat had me intrigued, but I think that might also be too simple. I read something about it including advantages/disadvantages so that the three stats became more specific. Does anyone know if this is done in a simple manner, or do I need to bust out my Cray to handle figuring those in?
Nothing about Tri-Stat ever requires a supercomputer. And a character isn't just those three stats -- far from it. If you check out Guardians of Order, they have plenty of downloads on their site: fast-play rules, sample characters, etc. For instance, take a look at Sentinel's character sheet; he's the Superman of their game world.

Last edited:

Remove ads