Superheroes are a hot commodity -- why aren't superhero RPG's?

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
My group had success with a superhero game using the Fate Accelerated rules mixed with the Venture City (Fate system game) rules. I liked the Fate Accelerated/Fate system for the superhero genre over other systems because:

Everyone is capable of doing the superheroic things you see in comic books out of the box without requiring specialization. They can't do everything but you can engage in a high speed chase without needing a wheelman class or specialization. I was always amused about how the Marvel Universe Handbooks have a blurb in every superhero's entry to justify how even non-combatant superheroes (someone like Shadowcat or Cyclops) can fight toe-to-toe against ninjas, henchmen, or powerful fighting villains (like Sabretooth): "Shadowcat has the strength and agility of someone who engages in intensive Olympic-level physical and combat training daily." Fate does a good job capturing this sort of competency in combats without the character focusing on combat.

Since everyone is roundly capable and encourages narrative control, it does a good job balancing different levels of heroes. We played with characters that were basically the Flash, Storm, and the Punisher in the same group and no one left overshadowed.

Powers are generally always on. A while ago I played some version of Mutants and Masterminds at a con and it was unsatisfying because my character used some sort of resource to use my character's psionic abilities. I didn't feel like Professor X when I couldn't do a mindblast because I had no points left. In Fate your powers are always on. If your Shadowcat character wants to walk through a wall, she does it. In my experience that goes a long way in feeling like your character actually has their powers.

It's fast and easy to make a character. And because of the out-of-the-box competency there was never a need for XP/Level progression to fully realize your character. My Batman type character felt like Batman right away. I didn't have to start at Level 10 or have 4 feats to get the right feel.

Another thing that might help with designing a campaign and continuing interest in a campaign is to set it in a known universe. A known universe puts villains, heroes, organizations, supporting characters, plotlines, etc. at the GM's disposal and they have automatic buy-in with the players. That's not to say your own world won't work but in my experience the superhero games that lasted longest were in known comic universes rather than ones we built just for the campaign.

Aenghus

Explorer
I think it's because superhero RPGs incorporate a vast number of subgenres, many of which aren't compatible with each other. These subgenres are often associated with particular metagame rules, that only work if everyone buys into them. Codes against killing, powers that don't cause accidental injury and death, or massive collateral damage, over the top villians, supertech that can't be mass produced, there's a million of them.

It just takes one player who ridicules a basic tenet of the setting to make it difficult to run.

It's not enough to round up some superhero fans to run a game, you need to find people with compatible tastes who gel together.

Then there's problems like "Everyone wants to be Wolverine". Which probably doesn't work, as Logan is often a reluctant hero, and all the PCs can't be reluctant heroes except in a Suicide Squad type setup. You need different PC personality types to bounce off each other, and get the soap opera level of the game right.

I prefer superhero games closer to the four colour side of things than iron age, so all the grim and gritty in recent decades has been a chore to put up with.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
My group had success with a superhero game using the Fate Accelerated rules mixed with the Venture City (Fate system game) rules. I liked the Fate Accelerated/Fate system for the superhero genre over other systems because:

Everyone is capable of doing the superheroic things you see in comic books out of the box without requiring specialization. They can't do everything but you can engage in a high speed chase without needing a wheelman class or specialization. I was always amused about how the Marvel Universe Handbooks have a blurb in every superhero's entry to justify how even non-combatant superheroes (someone like Shadowcat or Cyclops) can fight toe-to-toe against ninjas, henchmen, or powerful fighting villains (like Sabretooth): "Shadowcat has the strength and agility of someone who engages in intensive Olympic-level physical and combat training daily." Fate does a good job capturing this sort of competency in combats without the character focusing on combat.

Since everyone is roundly capable and encourages narrative control, it does a good job balancing different levels of heroes. We played with characters that were basically the Flash, Storm, and the Punisher in the same group and no one left overshadowed.

Powers are generally always on. A while ago I played some version of Mutants and Masterminds at a con and it was unsatisfying because my character used some sort of resource to use my character's psionic abilities. I didn't feel like Professor X when I couldn't do a mindblast because I had no points left. In Fate your powers are always on. If your Shadowcat character wants to walk through a wall, she does it. In my experience that goes a long way in feeling like your character actually has their powers.

It's fast and easy to make a character. And because of the out-of-the-box competency there was never a need for XP/Level progression to fully realize your character. My Batman type character felt like Batman right away. I didn't have to start at Level 10 or have 4 feats to get the right feel.

Another thing that might help with designing a campaign and continuing interest in a campaign is to set it in a known universe. A known universe puts villains, heroes, organizations, supporting characters, plotlines, etc. at the GM's disposal and they have automatic buy-in with the players. That's not to say your own world won't work but in my experience the superhero games that lasted longest were in known comic universes rather than ones we built just for the campaign.

Um...Shadowcat can go up against ninjas and henchmen and Sabertooth because she's been trained by the best. She was possessed by Ogun, the demonic samurai master that trained Wolverine. Then she was trained by Wolverine to defeat him. She defeated Wolverine when he was Death, and she defeated the Silver Samurai.

Kitty Pryde is awesome! You don't have to make excuses for her ;)

Virgo

Explorer

For our Champions campaign we used our home city of Tampa, Florida, kept it present-day and made it part of the Marvel Universe. It was a great success because all players knew the locations the GM was describing and were familiar with the Marvel characters who would make cameo appearances. :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
IMHO, "buy-in" makes or breaks supers games moreso than most other RPG genres. It's really hard to run a supers game if people mail it in- half-assing a fighter in a FRPG is less damaging to the game than doing likewise with a "brick" type PC.

Finding a setting everyone is cool with goes a LONG way to getting that buy-in.

Last edited:

Wednesday Boy

Um...Shadowcat can go up against ninjas and henchmen and Sabertooth because she's been trained by the best. She was possessed by Ogun, the demonic samurai master that trained Wolverine. Then she was trained by Wolverine to defeat him. She defeated Wolverine when he was Death, and she defeated the Silver Samurai.

Kitty Pryde is awesome! You don't have to make excuses for her ;)

Oh, I was talking specifically about the years before Ogun when she was Sprite and Ariel. (Yeah, that's the ticket... ;))

Wednesday Boy

Speak of the devil! Our Star Wars game is cancelled for this weekend so one of the other players volunteered to run a one-shot of his superhero fate game that I mentioned upthread! Excelsior!

Remove ads