• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Survivor 5e Plants - Shambling mound composts the competition!

jasper

Rotten DM
Assassin Vine 9 +1 = 10
Corpse Flower 2 -2 = 0 I never smell as lousy as you. Die WEED!

Shambling Mound 13
Shrieker 11
Treant 7

atanakar

Hero
«Corpse Flower breaks a root, stumbles and false off the race track. It's out of the race! Assassine Vine tries to close the gap with Shrieker in second position. Shambling Mound still in the lead. Treant, now last, can't see to catch up with his long legs.»

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I am actually curious - why do people like Assassin Vine? I feel like Treant is a pretty clear choice, because Treebeard was an awesome character in LotR. Shambling Mounds = Swamp Thing, and he's pretty awesome post Alan Moore.

Shrieker just looks like it's been ignored, and so doesn't really move much. Probably because of all the up-down against and for other plants. I was surprised that it didn't get the same down-voting that the other fungi did frankly...

Maybe GMs like using Assassin vines in their adventures? But that's the only reason I can see voting for it. Not really understanding the love for it...

Fenris447

Explorer
I am actually curious - why do people like Assassin Vine? I feel like Treant is a pretty clear choice, because Treebeard was an awesome character in LotR. Shambling Mounds = Swamp Thing, and he's pretty awesome post Alan Moore.

Maybe GMs like using Assassin vines in their adventures? But that's the only reason I can see voting for it. Not really understanding the love for it...

For me, the Assassin Vine is the quintessential "omg the plants are trying to kill us" creature. When my party is walking into a forest where the plant life has gone nuts, this is the top of the list of things that will be there.

The Shambling Mound is the ultimate plant horror creature. A lumbering mess of plant matter, moving like a creature but most definitely plant. It fits a different niche, but is equally as essential a plant monster.

And yeah, the Treant is basically the Ent. It's the archetype (to me at least) for the sentient plant.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads