D&D 5E Survivor 5E - Subclasses - School of Divination knew it would win!

Greg K

Legend
Cut 'em some slack! Consider the crappy treatment the divination specialty has gotten since 2e. They've waited so very long for this! :)
Yeah, but other than Portent and Greater Portent, I find the 5e version pretty crappy :p Divine Savant is meh. Expert Divination, imo, has nothing to do with divination. Third Eye, I think that i see what they are going for, but I still find it meh or disappointing.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yeah, but other than Portent and Greater Portent, I find the 5e version pretty crappy :p Divine Savant is meh. Expert Divination, imo, has nothing to do with divination. Third Eye, I think that i see what they are going for, but I still find it meh or disappointing.
I disagree on Expert Divination. The point of it is that you are so good at divination spells that it takes less power to cast them. That's represented imperfectly by slot restoration. It's related, but not done as well as they could have done.

What they should have done is allow the casting of divination spells you know using spell slots up to 3 levels lower than the divination spell, minimum of level 1.

Greg K

Legend
I disagree on Expert Divination. The point of it is that you are so good at divination spells that it takes less power to cast them. That's represented imperfectly by slot restoration. It's related, but not done as well as they could have done.

What they should have done is allow the casting of divination spells you know using spell slots up to 3 levels lower than the divination spell, minimum of level 1.
It has been a long while, but did I misread Expert Divination and it is limited to divination spells? Looking at the description on review sites, the feature description does not specify Divination spells anywhere in the description of the ability as having to be the spells regained (even then, it still feels weird to me given spell slots)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It has been a long while, but did I misread Expert Divination and it is limited to divination spells? Looking at the description on review sites, the feature description does not specify Divination spells anywhere in the description of the ability as having to be the spells regained (even then, it still feels weird to me given spell slots)
Not exactly. You can get any slot back, but it only triggers when you cast divination spells. It's an imperfect mechanic to represent what it does.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases